Soon-to-be SRT 392 Charger owner -- advice needed!

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by junglas, Nov 27, 2015.

1. junglas

junglas Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Hey everyone, I stumbled on this forum when I was googling about the audio system for the charger SRT 392. This is a great online community for Dodge motor-heads like ourselves :D So, I'll be making my first ever new car purchase. (As I only bought and sold motorbikes the last few years), and I have a bunch of questions... Really could use some guidance or advice regarding my purchase.

Regarding service and maintenance:
    I never owned a muscle car, how is a Hemi better or easier to maintain than its competitors? I went to the showroom twice and I had a close look at the suspension and chassis, it seems more firm, sturdy than, say a Camaro or even the Taurus. But besides the engine is it "difficult" to maintain the overall handling mechanisms as compared to competition?

Regarding interior options: Does it come standard with ambient lighting? I haven't noticed when I had a look at the show room but the Uconnect does not support CD, does it? Any issues whatsoever with the sun roof option? (Gets stuck or jams). Does the sun roof automatically close in case I leave the car and forgotten to shut it? How do you find the ventilated/heated seats in terms of comfort? Are there still issues with Harman Kardon sound system? Is it necessarily "better" than the Charger R/T's Beats sound system? (If you've tried the R/T's Beats). I was thinking it's a Beats so it must be better, and if it is why can't they just have it as a similar option on the SRT too?

Regarding exterior options: I would really like the SRT Hellcat black matte-finish rims or Brass Monkey, SRT 392 and Hellcat have the exact same rims and can simply be swapped, if it's possible, or is it up to the dealer? I ask because the standard feature on the 392 are Hyper Black 20-inch according to the website and what I saw in two different showrooms. But I don't really like it as much as I did the Brass Monkey or black matte on the Hellcats. Any suggestions?

That's all for now, thanks a lot guys! I look forward to hearing back from you :)

2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    service: remember its a Dodge, not a Honda...it is always ranked low in terms of quality.....a 392 has no special mechanical needs....takes a couple extra quarts of oil..thats it

Interior: dont own a Charger.....but the stereo is a disappointment and has been since 2011...for anyone who's owned a challenger/charger longer than 2011 will probably tell you the disappointment has gone on longer..dont believe the sun roof closes itself.....have never heard of that option

exterior: if you wish to swap your stock rims ill bet you will easily find someone willing to swap with a HC...i think the SRT 392 wheels look better......i think if you offer brand new rims as a trade someone will bite....srt 392 only comes with 1 rim option

congrats on your future purchase.....consider a Challenger and try it out before committing to a charger..At one point i considered a Superbee(2010) and found my family fit just fine in the challenger....i was willing to accept the slightly more difficult getting in/out of the car for a much better looking/sporty car......im still not a very big fan of the Charger....cant get past 4 doors and calling it a muscle car.........if a 1970 coronet 4 door came with a 440 would anyone collect it, show it off and call it a muscle car?

3. EverythingSRT

EverythingSRT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have had a 392 charger and a 392 300 the engine is bullet proof never once had a issue and trust me no one will run them any harder than I did!!! I now have a hellcat and have made over 40 passes on a track with it and drive the crap out of it on the street NOT ONE ISSUE WITH IT!!!! You will love it. Not sure if huggy ever had a 392 I think he had a RT with the 5.7 you know like a lot of people's wifes drive lol so congrats on the car!!! The 392s are awsome!!!! I like the charger better than the challenger but that is just preference!! MOPAR OR NO CAR!!

4. im3cpo

im3cpo Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Service and maintenance is what you would expect from an American car. You can do all the work yourself if you are so inclined and dont require the use of special one off tools (like Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc.). Interior options wise, I cant answer for certain as the Charger is the one SRT I *don't* own, but there are people who have complained about the Harmon Kardon not being up to par. I have the Harmon Kardon in my Hellcat and SRT8 Jeep and they sound fine to me. I have some crazy high end audio in my home setups, so coming from my perspective, that's saying something.. :) Audio (like styling) is highly subjective though, and the type of music and source you are playing from plays a major part of how well it sounds, so you should go listen to the different stereo's available as the dealership should have cars with those options on their lots.

You can find guys who will trade wheels and tires with you as there are groups of people who like one finish and other groups who like the other. I doubt you will be able to convince the dealership to "swap" your wheels with Brass Monkey wheels as I believe the dealership has to technically sell you the car thats listed on the VIN/sticker. I supposed the one option you could have is if they have a used car with the wheels you like. That way they can still sell you the car as the sticker says it was equipped, then swap the wheels as an afterthefact purchase.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. junglas

junglas Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Alright thanks a lot guys this is really helpful I appreciate it! ;) I'm pretty handy with car engines and whatnot so I'd love to get my hands dirty with the 392. As for the interior I wouldn't expect much because it's a muscle car afterall and not a luxury, even though it's as comfortable as your t.v. couch lol :D I would like to keep the vehicle as stock as possible except I'll try to swap out the rims for the HC finish instead or I could just have them painted. Thanks again guys! I look forward to reading even more input and as many opinions/suggestions as possible!

Cheers

6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    had a 2011 SRT 392 Inaugural Edition A5

i never liked the A5, but i did feel the power was awesome until i got my 13 Gt500......its all about what you compare it to....once you drive a faster car the 392 feels like a dog(even though i know its not)......the A8 will help it out quite a bit ill bet...the A5 just sucked....if i had never owned a faster car i would have been very happy with my 2011 392.....i wish i could have kept it actually...i loved the look of the car

id still take a break and really think about the reasons you want a 4 door vs a sporty 2 door.......make sure you dont regret the decision.....i never drove a charger 392, but i sat in a few......my brother had a 300 v6 and it was great....but it was a family car....

too bad they dont have the Super Bee editions anymore.....a Sublime Charger w/ a blacked out hood would have also looked nice