Spare Tire Redux

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by solo7777, Feb 29, 2016.

1. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gonna bring this one back up again to see if anybody has had any luck going this or a similar route.....

Donut spare tire for Challenger HC? With Spacers?

I know I could just get a full size spare, but I do want to have some trunk space left....o_O

Heading out to Vegas in May and I would not want to get caught with a flat on that long stretch of highway between barstow and Vegas. This would only be taken on road trip of extended lengths, not for everyday local driving.

Thoughts?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Driller

Driller Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sure, I just purchased a donut spare, jack and the hold down hardware from a salvage yard for about $50. The donut will fit the rear, but won't fit the front. If I have a problem with a front, I just take a good rear tire off and put the donut there and then put good rear on the front. Takes a little time, but your not stuck somewhere.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. jgasca

jgasca Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I mentioned a site called performancespare.com before where I got a spare tire, spacer, and jack for about $300 for my 2011 Camaro. I'm not sure if they have one for the hellcats. Their website says 2015 challenger scat pack and up so who knows....

4. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good ideas. I'll check them out. Thanks.

5. solo7777

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, they have it for the Hellcat, but rears only so it a 2 tire swap. Kinda pricey at $300 +, so I will see if I can find something cheaper, but if not will go ahead and pull the trigger.

6. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's a good solution. Pain in the butt but good solution. What was the donut from?

7. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You may also want to consider getting some of the latex tire goo. Slime makes one that is supposed to be TPMS friendly. Not a bad solution in a pinch. I also usually carry a tire plug kit. Won't help if you have a catastrophic failure or blowout but if you pick up some shrapnel you can generally pull it out with a pliers, plug it and get to where you are going. Then you can have the tire patched or replaced as you feel appropriate.

8. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I hear you regarding the reduced space issue carrying a full size spare. When my wife and I travel, we usually place our travel items that won't fit in the trunk on the back seat.

Below is a picture of my trunk with the full size spare. I have it face down so I can use the inside of the wheel for storage as well;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. solo7777

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    True, The pump that came with the CAT has that goo, unless you are talking about a different kind. My situation is mainly for long hauls and especially the upcoming Vegas trip. Just don't want to get caught in the middle of the desert. Peace of mind kinda thing.

10. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I guess I forgot that they come with the goo standard. I'm not saying don't get the spare (I totally get your reasoning). Just saying that the goo and a tire plug kit are good as well. Especially if you are out in the middle of nowhere.

How many miles on your car. You amaze me with how you are racking them up! Did you go through that set of RS3-S tires yet? Like them, hate them or indifferent?