Squeaking sound solved

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat TSB's' started by BlackCat, Sep 3, 2015.

1. BlackCat

BlackCat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had a squeaking sound come from the rear end of my car for about 1000 miles. i have 10700 miles on the cat. I thought it was a suspension issue because i could reproduce the squeak when i released the throttle, so i thought it was a load transfer causing the squeak in the rear end suspension. Took it to the dealership and after 2 days of testing they found the problem is actually a faulty exhaust valve. which makes sense since the valve is controlled by throttle pressure and releasing the throttle causes the valve to close and makes the squeak. and i cant produce it in track mode - i believe in track mode the valves are open the whole time. so i am "stuck" driving in track mode so i dont hear the squeak until next week when replacement pipe comes from detroit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Pete Iles

Pete Iles Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well the good news is that the problem has been determined and a fix is on the way.

3. BlackCat

BlackCat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i agree. i was worried it was a rear end or suspension issue at first and that would have sucked! especially since i take it to the track regularly. (didn't tell them that!) ;-)

4. DaddyBarlow

DaddyBarlow Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let us know if replacing valve fixes it 100% percent..

Because I have the exact same symptoms as you described. I also hear what sounds like the valve moving (squeaking noise) when I first start the car in the morning.

5. BlackCat

BlackCat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Will do! the part got delivered today so hopefully i can get it taken care of tomorrow. I will let you know if the problem is resolved.

6. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why they built the car to be raced and covered thru warranty you never need to lie about racing the car

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. BlackCat

BlackCat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    just dropped the blackcat at the dealer to get the exhaust valve fixed. Dodge sent in a complete cat-back - both sides. they want mine sent back to troubleshoot the problem. will keep you updated.

8. DaddyBarlow

DaddyBarlow Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the update! Please let us know if the new parts they put on your car fix your issue...

9. BlackCat

BlackCat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes - the problem is gone. it was the exhaust valve that was faulty. Dodge wanted my pipes so they could look at the issue. they replaced both sides even though it was the passenger side that was faulty.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Fiveinch

Fiveinch Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    My 2015 392 is doing the same thing. I guess I need to relinquish the ol'girl to Dodge for a few days...

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. marcusk

marcusk Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I had the same issue twice with my 2012 Charger SRT8. They replaced the exhaust system at around 90,000km but refused to change it the second time at 120,000 when it started again!!! Hope this won't happen on my new 2015 SRT392. I figure it would be fixed at manufacturing level. Dodge plays dumb each time I find a fault as if I'm the only driver out there with the issue.
    Still have to take the new one back as it downshifts occasionally using the upshift paddle - very unexpected and unsafe in my opinion.

12. HERD_HELLCAT

HERD_HELLCAT Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was just going to create a thread to ask a question about rear end whining or squeaking noise that I have been hearing for the last 300 miles or so. My car is only a month old and has around 1600 miles on it. I was getting pretty worried and I am glad that I am not the only one with this issue and that it was fixed! Was there anything in particular the dealership had to do to figure out it was a faulty valve? Hopefully I can go into the dealership and point right to the problem and avoid any extra bs. It sounds like they sent you a replacement pretty quickly once they figured it out which is nice.

13. BlackCat

BlackCat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    they just listened to where the sound was coming from, at first they thought rear end but they found the sound coming from the exhaust valve. One thing i did to narrow it down was put it in track mode and see if the sound goes away. for me it did because in track mode the exhaust valves are wide open. in the other modes the valve responds to throttle. when i would release the throttle the sound would appear because the exhaust valve was closing.

14. HERD_HELLCAT

HERD_HELLCAT Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did you take a tech on a test drive or were you just revving the engine for them? I recently took my Cat to the dealer to get the splash guards put on, and I told them about the noise and even took a tech for a ride to see if he could figure it out. They told me they couldn't figure it out but I'm sure they didn't look that hard. So maybe now I can lead them in the right direction. And thanks for the help with the questions man.

15. marcusk

marcusk Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Good luck! They don't like this repair as it costs them a stainless steel exhaust system ... big bucks! So what? Change the way you build them so you don't have to replace them!