SRT 392 Reflections

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT 392' started by Max57, May 16, 2015.

1. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I'm just curious.

For all the SRT 392 owners, what made you choose this model over the others?

For me, once I heard the exhaust of the 392 engine on a Scat Pack, I knew that if I was going to pay this much for what might very well be my 'last' car, I might as well get what I want (within reason). The Hellcat was out mainly due to it's cost. (Even the SRT 392 is really pushing my financial envelope).

I was all set to settle on the Scat Pack after a test ride. They also had an SRT on the lot which had the optional leather alcantra seats as standard equipment which my test Scat didn't have. Comfort, being one of my very top priorities, made me want to sample those seats as well. It became quite evident that only after driving the SRT less them a half mile, the ride was much more,,,'road compliant'. She handled road imperfections more smoothly and didn't have the same, somewhat 'sharp/hard' response that the Scat had. Clearly the SRT had a more comfortable ride. The SRT was set to it's softest setting (Street). The adjustable suspension really does give you the option of feeling like you have more then one car at your disposal! And as silly as it may sound,, the preverbal 'Cherry on top of the cake' was the steering wheel! I just loved the way that SRT steering wheel felt.

So with all that said, what made you choose the SRT 392?

2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This may not help,, but I had a sublime srt on hold if anything went south on the hellcat....I had no problem buying an srt over the hellcat...I remember driving over three hours just to look and sit in the car that I thought for sure would be my future car...and when I started it, and put my hands on the steering wheel,I thought omg, this was made just prefect for me, I don't think people fully appreciate what it feels like to hold a srt steering wheel, it's like becoming one with the car,, sorry if I'm going on and on about it, but this is something most over look in pictures and videos, it has to be seen and felt in person.. The srt is one hell of a car, and you made a great choice..please share pictures..This is the one I almost bought.. IMG_1585.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one where the steering wheel made such a big impression. It really was immediately obvious how good it felt as soon as I placed my hands on it. :)

I'll post pictures once she arrives. She's scheduled to be built the week of June 8th. So I'll probably get her some where during the July time frame.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JPJr

JPJr Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Like the OP, after a test drive in a bare bones Scat Pack, I was ready to buy.
    (Wasn't even looking, really, I had a 2014 bare bones Mustang GT at the time, and was only at the dealer waiting on an oil change for my wife's car)
    485hp for $40k seemed like a great deal.
    But then I wanted the appearance pack, and nicer stereo, etc...
    By the time I was done, I was only a few grand from the SRT, so placed my order for my Pitch Black 392.
    Ordered Nov 12th, picked it up Jan 2nd.
    Yeah, even with 485, it could use a bit more, but most of the time, it's plenty.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. moparSRT

moparSRT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I read one day that Dodge was rumoured to build the Challenger again. I thought if they build it I'll buy it. They built it and it did take 7 years for me to decide the time was right but one day I said it is time! I was at a local dealer buying parts and asked about the Hellcat. Could I just walk in a buy one? Hmmm, they told me Dodge was building the Scat and it was really nice too. Amazingly they just got one in, not even PMI'd yet. They took me back to check it out. She was sitting there with all road grime and half a foot of snow piled on. It looked nice! I went home, started reading online about them. I decided that if I was going to buy one of these cars I was going to get one loaded. I went back a couple days later and they had the Scat on display in front of the store. Couldn't get a drive, guess they didn't realize how serious I was. I sat in it and knew that I wanted the SRT. Without offering me a test drive the salesman said if you want it you have to buy it today because someone is coming in Monday to buy it. My reply was I'm not interested in that one, I want the SRT with more "TOYS". (Signal #2, I want to buy)! I found a dealer with an SRT 1000 miles away, they were ready to ship it. I went to another dealer one town over and test drove a Scat they had with the intention of either ordering or getting the one shipped. Dealer's price to order was $100 less for same vehicle but closed because he said this car will go right from the truck to you, the other one has been at the dealer there and who knows who and how this car was driven. So I ordered my car, but got the Ivory instead of bright white that would have been shipped to me. I soooo glad I got the Ivory and the SRT. I liked the Scat but love my SRT. After driving the SRT for 4000 miles, I would have to drive another Scat to appreciate the differences though I'm sure both are tremendous cars. The psycho-whine of the Cat would be pretty fun but the 487 HP of the 392 is enough for me. I couldn't justify the $16K pricetag for the Hellcat. I have not had my 392 to the strip yet but intend to do it soon. This a great car.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I already had an SRT so I knew I couldn't go back to an R/T and the Hellcat just seemed too over the top for me. I don't race so 700+ horsepower isn't necessary.

Plus I didn't want to give up the fog lights. :D