SRT 392 v Scat Pack

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT 392' started by mf2kta, Jun 11, 2016.

1. mf2kta

mf2kta Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    First off, I don't have an SRT! I have a Scat Pack. Yes, I know about the Scat Pack forum...it's not very good at all. I like the information on this forum and the content of the posts.

So, when I was shopping/researching a Challenger, I decided that I was going to get an SRT...the bigger brakes, adjustable suspension, just seemed like the better car for marginally more money. I test drove 4 or 5 SRT's, trying to find the right color and option combination. Two dealers in a row kept telling to me to look at the Scat Pack.

I finally test drove one and LOVED it! The car "felt" more "calm." Not sure how to explain it. The SRT suspension felt more tense, the Scat Pack felt more "comfortable" for every day driving. (Don't get me wrong, I love tight suspension. I've done major suspension work to EVERY car I've ever owned).

I loved the stripe on the back, I actually like the hood a little bit more, and I loved the bumble bee on the seat. Just felt like a better car for me.

I'm not beating up SRT's at all. I know they are mechanically superior. When I was looking at forums before I bought, I never found anything that compared the two. I'm just putting this here for other people who might be looking around like I was. my .02....

2. NoCoHC

NoCoHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had a SP and now have a Hellcat. I liked the option of getting a bare bones Scat Pack for under 40k. In my opinion of you are going to spend 50 plus on an SRT if possible save up a little more and buy a Hellcat. Prices are coming down and there are plenty available in most parts of the country.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Depends on what you are looking for when deciding between the SC and the SRT...If you want more amenities and performance handling the SRT....If you want a little less options and more ride comfort and retain the SRT power then the SC is the way to go. The SC is a great value and it has a name that has history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    In the US the SP is a great value.

For some reason in Canada the price difference between the SP and the SRT is only $4k, so unless you're really pinching pennies the SRT is the way to go up here.

Congrats on a great car.

5. Polarbear

Polarbear Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I bought a Charger HC and then needed to replace my daily driver 2012 Charger SRT due to mileage. I went back and forth between a 2016 Charger SRT or SP. I ended up ordering a loaded SP as my new daily driver and have been very pleased. I find that it exceeds my 2012 Charger SRT and is comparable to the 2016 Charger SRT I test drove. It is a lot of fun to drive, along with super comfort. Before delivery, the dealer installed a set of HC zero mile wheels and tires on the SP which added to the look of the car in my view. The tipping factor for me was that I thought the SP has a more distinctive appearance with the SP logos than the Charger SRT. The HC and SP are both great vehicles, but I do like the additional options on the SP, which are also available on the Charger SRT, like auto dimming headlights, rain sense wipers, dynamic cruise control and forward collision warning, for a daily driver which are not available on the Charger HC.

6. BlackSunshine

BlackSunshine Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I couldn't agree more now that msrp or better can be found. The only reason I got a SRT last year is because I couldn't get a hellcat.

7. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I find your comments on the suspension odd. From everything I've heard, and what I would guess, the SP suspension should perform similar to the SRT's sport mode. The SRT should be able to be both softer and firmer than a SP due to its adaptable suspension... could be wrong, but it would certainly make the most sense.

By the time I had all the options I would've wanted in a SP, I was close to the price of an SRT. I'd wanted an SRT for as long as I could remember - so I got the SRT. I have since traded it for a SRT GC simply due to only being able to have/afford one vehicle, and the GC is far more practical and driveable here in Ohio. But I will return to this crowd one day if all goes as planned, with a HC Charger instead... then I can have the best of both worlds. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. srtjay

srtjay Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Yeah, having recently test drove an SRT Charger and a Scat Pack, I would rate the Scat Pack's suspension as ever so slightly stiffer than the SRT in Sport mode. YMMV but in general that seems to be a common sentiment.

Btw, if you're considering loading up a Scat Pack with options, just get the base SRT that comes with most of the same features standard plus the upgraded brakes, SRT modes, and suspension, and only costs a couple grand more than a loaded Scat Pack. The point to the Scat Pack is to get a stripper R/T with the SRT drivetrain. Loading it up sort of defeats the purpose unless you're getting it discounted to $40k or under..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1