SRT Hellcat Orders Racking Up.The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Discussion in 'Hellcat News and Site Announcements' started by cereal killer, Sep 18, 2014.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    [​IMG]

It's been a busy week here at Hellcat.org with members reporting that their orders are being fulfilled, but some members are not having such a positive experience getting their orders in. Our very own sunger is one of those members.

Sunger, a SoCal native, experienced a less than desirable situation when he was told that there would be a $5,000 markup after being quoted MSRP for the Challenger SRT Hellcat. His subsequent shock and disbelief lead him to take his business elsewhere -- good call-- where things went from bad to worse. Yes they could get him his Challenger SRT Hellcat, but it was going to cost him an astounding $15,000 over sticker.

There is at least a happy ending to this story in that sunger did find himself exactly what he was looking for and at a fair price (MSRP). He says:
    We here at Hellcat.org HQ are happy he was able to get his Hellcat. Good job sundar. We're wondering if this is a regional thing that dealers are doing because there are quite a few members who have already placed their orders with no red tape or mark-ups at all. A pretty seamless ordering process and overall great experience.

We'd love to hear from the community, so tell us your purchasing stories. Good, bad or indifferent we want to hear from you.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a similar experience. The first dealership I went to gave the run around and finally came back and told me that they were a high volume dealer and would be getting the most Hellcats in stock and that they were asking $20k over the MSRP. I walked out and later sent them the order from my local Dodge dealer who is charging me the MSRP. My local dealer did indicate that being a long time loyal customer was one of the reasons why I was able to get 1 of the 2 he was able to order in the first round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Right after the first ads went public, I ran out to a local dealer to order one! sadly they hadn't even heard of it yet!! as a few months went by I was informing them about the car and its options.. LOL then finally I was told if they can get one it would be marked up 5k.. which I thought was fine considering I had no previous sales with them.. in fact its my first new car! if your gonna go.. go BIG! I knew it would be a very hot item at the least.. When it came time for the deposit I was told 10k would prolly get me to the front of the line.. when I went in with it.. my sales lady stated that at their sales meeting that morning she was told if I showed up with the deposit.. then the car was mine... SOLD.. IF they could even get one! that was Aug 4th..
    Towards the end of Aug I joined the SRT owners site and was reading along that all SRT dealings must be done thru an Authorized dealer.. no problem I thought.. so for shits I clicked on the SRT dealer locator and lo and behold my dealers three places were NOT listed! I freaked out... Wrote a letter snail mail to Tim Kunishkis.. and fired off an email to SRT customer service asking for help.. Customer servive wrote back to me a week later telling me "they do not get involved in purchases and to speak to the NON SRT dealership owner and get a refund and goto an Auth dealer and place another order! which meant going to the back of another line!

I wrote my sales lady and told her srt customer service told me to get refund and take it to auth dealer and I was on my way over to pick up the check for 10k.. she like WHAT? ive been here ten years and we have always sold SRTs... so I gave her time.. gave her a copy of the letter which she faxd to the dealership owner to contacted their Chrysler Rep.. who fired a letter back that customer service was wrong... SRTs can be ordered from any dealer and they had no right to tell me such a thing! and the dealer locator was wrong! WHew .. he also stated that the owner was on hold with my order until the gates opened on the 9th... not that the owner couldn't order it... that was on Sept 4th.. I knew of the 9th almost a week prior :) it was hard sleeping that week!!

I went in on the 11th was told the owner was able to order one for each dealership and two were sold ..one of them to me! then I got a copy of the order sheets and it was explained that the sunroof, brass monkey, red seatbelts were not avail.. and they were only able to order the blk Laguna with the Sublime.. so I have my POC & VON.. just waiting for the VIN so I can signup in VOTS..

its been a horrible first car buying experience.. I had envisioned walking in , sitting at a computer and selecting my options.. and walking out! LOL how funny is that?

• Like Like x 3
  4. cereal killer

cereal killer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow what a story Abe. Persistence FTW! :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing that with us.

5. sunger

sunger Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow, I thought my story was something, but yours has it beat. Both of us are in limbo waiting on a VIN, but at least we're in line. Good luck Freight Train.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There going to produce these cars people. Were all acting like kids in a candy store..lol.. Give them time, we'll all get one..

7. sunger

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are absolutely right Kevin, we will. As far as sales go right now, I believe the problem is the dealer mark-ups. Its a problem for them to sell a car to someone for a large mark-up, then turn around and take orders for more at MSRP, for which there are a lot of customers willing to pay. They need to stall and play dumb. I expect many are hoping for the same thing to happen with the charger when its time to hit the market. Dealerships are a business, and they are in business to make a profit, I completely understand that. Its when they lie to you that really bugs me, and there's a lot of that going on right now, and I believe many customers feel that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. 10 Sec CAT

10 Sec CAT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same story everywhere, here in Florida I locked in my deposit months ago securing a #1 spot dealer stated they hoped for 2-3 cars with no markup well only one was allocated I had to settle for no sunroof if I wanted first order status, so I pulled triger got VON and now a VIN# with a Oct. 3 ship date, called a few other dealers to secure a second car hopefully a roof order this time around but most stated that had orders to be placed but expected a $20k markup and laughed when I told them I would not pay it they told me good luck I will never get one for MSRP I told them wrong and i already had one being built and was looking for a 2nd but would not be buying from a#$holes like themselfs. Keep looking and calling people there is alot of hype and smoke and mirrors around these halo cars patience will pay off, I know its hard as I couldnt wait either lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tspoon

Tspoon VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The knucklehead dealers are always going to try to make as much as the can rather than sell

as many as they can, in the end, they will only lose out.

What a concept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. sunger

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My guess is the add on's are not reported, and go directly into the dealers pocket. The salesman gets a kick as well I expect, but I just can't think of a reason the dealers don't want additional service business as well as the potential customer returns. Maybe that's why there is such a turnover in sales people.

11. Jerry Zad

Jerry Zad Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ordered mine fore MSRP. I am the only one getting one on the first run of cars but they said more would be available in the second run that is believed to be done in December. My dealer is Billion Dodge Out of Sioux Falls,SD

12. Denmed

Denmed Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My local dealer begin with a 20k over msrp in July. In Sept. called me with a 5 k over msrp offer for their third hellcat. They lowered the price to 2.5K over invoice. I contacted several other vicinity dealers finding one that had their 1st order sold with the second order submitted a week ago. I was able to get their second hellcat for 2k over msrp. I was allowed to mod the order but choose not to since it was the same car I had priced from my local dealer except it had a sepia interior rather than black lagona. It had been accepted as a good order and was issued a VON so I put 2k down. The order will be issued to the factory in October. The priority went from 4 to 1 when I agreed to the purchase. The dealer did not promise a delivery date but thinks it will be 6 to 8 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How meany hellcats have Ben ordered ?

14. sunger

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would be surprised if Dodge gives out that information until the end of the model year.

15. 456123

456123 Rookie

I ordered my Challenger Hellcat way back on August 8th.
    They told me that I was lucky to get #3 out of the ONLY 3 which they were going to be getting but that I would need to give a $10K deposit and pay $5K over MSRP.
    I was hesitant but ended up pulling the trigger.
    After reading that other people were getting a Hellcat for MSRP I decided to stop in at the Dealership this last Monday.
    I told the manager that I wanted to cancel my order and get a refund on my deposit. He asked me why. I told him that they were priced to high and that I could buy one from a variety of other dealers for MSRP.
    He then spent about 30 seconds looking at his computer and then told me that he would give me the car for MSRP......I asked when I would be seeing it and he said that he had no idea. Maybe in December.
    Thank You other Hellcat.org members :D:)

• Like Like x 3