SRT Track Experience Road America 09/02/15

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by gts_2001, Sep 1, 2015.

1. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just wanted to mention that it was a blast today at the SRT Track Experience held at Road America today! It was great meeting and putting faces to a number of Wisconsin folks that have been posting for many months as well as meeting sereval participants from as far away as North Dakota. Hopefully everyone makes it home safely and has hours and hours of bragging time about our experience at one of the country's best race tracks! I have a few pics that I will post but have to wait until I return home tomorrow. Huggy, it was great seeing the look of awe on your son's face today. I'm sure that in his eyes, you'll be walking on water at 2 o'clock every day for months to come! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    it was nice meeting you!......and my son had a blast.....growing up i never really did anything with my Dad...he never took an interest in me much...i have 0 memories of things we did together.....today i made a memory with my 11 year old son........i dont spend as much time with him as id like as i work too much, but im making more memories than i had with my Dad...........i try to bring him along with me when i do car stuff...

anyone else get a ride in the white viper at the end----OMG.......80mph corners....150mph straight away....the guy would start to lose it around a corner and in a relaxed fashion just slightly adjust like it was nothing.......

got to drive the viper 2x's.....super happy

i got paired up with someone who couldnt keep up at the 2nd track session....he was slower than he was in the morning session......i think he was old and needed his nap...nice guy, but we never really got over 80mph and the lead car had to keep slowing down for him to catch up........i wanted 20-30mph+ more

had a great time over all......neat to see HC guys i know from the forums and other places....knew 4 guys there + met GTs_2001 too(forgot your name already---sorry im horrible w/ names)

parking lot was a HC car show.....saw my first charger HC

after driving the Viper 2x's i think i like my HC better.....i found my A8 hc to be more responsive when it comes to acceleration (because its always in the power band in sport mode).....also didnt like the clutch on the viper...the accelerator even felt weird(soft).....i killed it on the start of my 2nd run because my seat was too far back and i couldnt hit the accelerator...im 6' and couldnt reach the pedal right.....engine was rough and vibrated(that was the car that broke down later? maybe more wrong?).....i love the vipers looks....but ill keep my HC....feels right for me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Huggy:

For a variety of reasons, I think that many of us could share similar stories about our relationships with our dads. Times were different and I think some of that distancing had to do with the "children are seen and not heard" attitude, some because of PTSD (not recognized then) from WW2 and Korea, some worked way too hard just to make ends meet, etc. In any case, many of us learned lessons from that about what not to do with our own kids and have made a conscious effort to change things. Hopefully, our kids will carry a few steps further. As you know, one of my sons (age 30) was there (sadly the younger 25 y/o couldn't make it) and the same bonding / memory building stuff was taking place as well. At the start of my career, I saw many older colleagues who's kids had everything (financially) but didn't know their kids because they were always working. I made a decision at that time (with some criticism from colleagues because I wasn't available to "make hay" during holiday breaks to take tonsils out and do nose jobs, etc.) to be with my kids and family. It's a delicate balance, especially when you're self employed (as I believe you are, too) but entirely workable. I'd guess that I have about 20 years on you age wise, so I guess that qualifies me as one of the "older bulls" now. IMHO, you're on the right track. Stay the course as you won't regret it in the future! Again, it was a pleasure meeting you! (Also, I agree with you about the Viper. It was an awesome ride, and definitiely refined from my 2006, but in the end I like the Hellcat better!)

**Just a word of advice to any other future SRT Track Experience participants based on Huggy's post above. If you want to go as fast as you can in the performance driving section, take the middle (second of three) car right behind the driving instructor. In that position, you can hang in there with the instructor who sets the pace and will push your limits if you do hang in. If you're in the third car and the middle person is "timid", there's little that you (or the lead car) can do to push (drag) him and the whole exercise gets slowed down. Fortunately, I was paired with someone who has the same appetitie for speed and adrenaline as I do.**

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i disagree...if your with someone slower than you your screwed.....my guy went behind the driver and fell behind....and he also fell way behind in the 3rd position and the pro driver had to continue to over brake for the corners to let him catch up and so that he could handle the corners......if your with a slower driver your screwed either way...

as far as me and my family----my Dad was in Korea, but not in the fighting, so i doubt its ptsd.........i try to take 2 vacations a year(typically take the kids out of school in the winter).....so we get 14-20 days together with all my kids on those days......but im a bit too into work(and dont have a choice at this point) and do some of my dads habits in me too........but i try and i am much better with my kids than he was with me and my grandfather was with him....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear that. I guess in the end, it just comes down to the luck of the draw. Never-the-less, it was still a pretty good day for all! (I was fortunate enough to hook up with a convoy of Challengers on 57 headed back toward Milwaukee after the event. Everyone behaved!)

6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    hey, i got to drive the viper 2x's, so i was one of the luckiest ones....and the 2nd time in the viper i did get to go all out (i switched partners with StellasHC).....got to go 120mph(i think) on that run......

im glad i left early.....didnt get to cruise with a group, but got home early....i knew the prizes were bad and didnt want to wait 1 hour for everyone to finish at the track and listen to their awards

what were the awards for the top 4 guys?

7. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL...you made a good decision to leave early. The awards were Dodge duffel bags and one of the small orange cones (new) of the type used in the autocross events. You would have picked up a generic Dodge cold / hot mug had you stayed. I think we would have missed a bunch of traffic going around (through?) Milwaukee had we left earlier. Out of curiosity, did StellasHC express any regrets about making the switch with you? We ran in to Dr Buick in the parking lot and got a chance to see that monster under his hood. Quite a ride. My son was curious about the horsepower. Any ideas or should I PM him for details? I can't imagine that he'd be reluctant to discuss that work of art! (Just looked at the videos on the USB Drive. Not as exciting as I had hoped :()

8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ive met dr.buick a few times and seen under his hood of his GNX (or does he have 2?, he might) i have no idea what he has.....i thought the car ran 9's though(roll bar i saw)..he will tell you whatever you want to know.....i dont know him well, just enough to say hi

i got that same stupid duffel bag and cone in 2011.....tossed the duffel in the garbage, son kept the cone when i sold my 2011......i saw them behind the tables, so i knew it was the same...no thanks.....also dont need a thermos cup.....dont drink coffee.......a jacket or shirt would have been appreciated though (but they want you to buy those)

i hit horrible traffic...probably as bad or worse than you.....from 3-5 its the same going through milwaukee

John im sure was very happy to make the switch....we each had different partners and didnt care for either...so we switched to team up together for a last run........he was sitting in a chair and thought he was done....i kept motioning to him that i was standing in a good position to move my way into another Viper run...it was a grey area as to who was next in line and i decided to be aggressive and announce it was mine....the other 2 guys backed down.....i dont know if they were ahead of me or behind.....but i decided they were behind because i wanted that 2nd drive in a viper----aggressive people win, sheep lose