Steering Wheel Chrome Trim Ring Removal on 2015/16?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by Siffert, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Siffert

Siffert Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I hate chrome. I want to remove that chrome ring on the (2015/16 Dodge Challengers) steering wheel ring in the center section where the air bag comes out and paint it some other color, perhaps gloss black or that interior satin silver color. I tried a plastic pry tool but did not seem to budge and did not want to force it. Anyone know how to do it?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you mean the ring in center section of the steering wheel where the air bag comes out, it's molded / glued in place. Just paint it in place. Life will be easier for you. I would suggest you use masking tape on the black rubber area around the ring to protect it, carefully scuff up the chrome plastic with a fine scotchbright pad, and carefully paint the color of your choice. Please post pictures when you are done. I want to see how it looks.

3. Siffert

Siffert Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Thanks. Yes, that is what I meant. I had originally thought about painting it in place using tape but thought it might come out easy. Now I know it is glued in, will revert to original plan. Think I'll just use some testor's hobby gloss (or semi) black acrylic right over the chrome in a small area without scuffing to see how it looks. If I don't like it, the black acrylic will come off easy with a fingernail under a damp cloth. One other way besides scuffing is just to prime some acrylic primer over the chrome first.

btw-I painted over those chrome strips on all the 4 air vents tabs which moves the vents up and down in black semi gloss. Those chrome strips came out.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  4. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Shoot us some pics Siffert.

5. Siffert

Siffert Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Trying to mask and paint it with the tightly fitted ring in place does not work well at all. I easily removed the acrylic paint and back to the chrome. The only solace is this 2015/16 chrome ring on the steering wheel is an interior identifier emblem to the 2015/16/17 generation of the Challenger.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  6. Siffert

Siffert Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    It turns out that rubber chrome ring in the center is not glued in. I wound up taking it apart (after removing the airbag assembly) and it's held in by about 12 tiny plastic push pins going into the airbag section. I was able to pull them out by lifting a section with ribbon and pulling the ring out one section a time. Sanded and then sprayed with multiple light coats of Krylon Fusion satin black followed by 2 brush coats of Testors acrylic semi gloss clear. The "T" at the bottom of the push pins busted when taking them out (though the pins themselves are OK) , and now in the stage of using a thin coat of JB Weld into the molded cutout and pressing the now black ring back in.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1