Steering wheel vibration even after road force balance. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by BlackbirdWS6, Jan 11, 2016.

1. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So I consider myself to be generally competent when it comes to vehicle mechanics and such. I'm scratching my head a bit on what could be causing a steering wheel vibration at highway speeds. When I took delivery of my Charger HC, I was on slower speed back roads before I hit the highway. When I did hit the highway, I got a pretty solid steering wheel shake. I had an issue like this with my Pontiac G8 (19" wheels) and a simple re-balance solved the issue.

I went to my local dealer (purchase dealer was 2hrs away) and they recommended a road force balance. Fine by me but they don't have the machine and sent me down the road to have it done. I was well taken care of at the wheel/tire center. The owner came by to chat about the car since he has a Challenger HC. One of his many toys I'm told.

I was in the bay the entire time and the wheel/tire tech followed the machines protocol and instruction. A few of the wheels required the tires to be shifted to obtain the correct overall roundness. All but one would balance without issue. The one tire was high in a spot and he recommended putting this one on the rear. He did say it may need to be replaced.

I drove the car around some more and the shake is better but not gone. I called the dealer and have another appt scheduled. While the rear tire with the high spot may end up getting replaced, I don't believe it should make its way back up to the steering wheel as a noticeable shake. The front brakes feel great and no pulsation so they are certainly not warped/glazed. I have about 1,200 miles on the car so everything is well broken in. The car is otherwise pretty perfect so things like this become more of an annoyance.

Any thoughts?

2. YLWJKT

YLWJKT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Still sounds tire related. I haven't had much luck with the Pirellis that came stock on my Camaro. I also had a lot of issues with them on my Yellow Jacketba few years back.
    You can ask the dealership to verify all of the front end torques just to make sure there's no issues there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well, you do sound pretty competent.....you know if it were the front brakes causing it, you'd most likely feel that in the brake pedal when stopping. The high spot in the rear tire....if it were bad enough, you should feel the vibration in the whole car - not just the steering wheel. I've never had my tires force balanced...all I know about it is they spin them with a weight or load on them. I wonder if you have a bunch of play in some part on the front end??

4. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a high spot on a tire once (truck) and they literally shaved the tire to fix it. A razor blade like device, while the tire was being balanced on the truck, and the problem was gone. Now I suspect there's more tire on an E rated truck tire, but I'm guessing they can either do the same OR just replace the tire and you'll know. The tire doesn't have to be replaced by the dealer, but actually any tire center that is an authorized distributor of the tire.

5. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your car must have Parkinson's Disease. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had balance issues with mine. Road force done and problem solved. Some have mentioned that their Pirelli's won't hold a balance for very long. I may be looking for a different brand of tires when the time comes;)

7. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    No vibration while on the brakes from the pedal so I'm confident they are good (not warped). I double checked the torque spec a few times to make sure they were also in spec. Used 2 different torque wrenches I have and another calibration tool to make sure there is no funny business. Front end and the car in general feels totally solid. No slack in steering or anything like that.

It perhaps still could be from the one tire with the high spot. This may be a funny comment but I've considered just doing a light burnout to get rid of the high spot lol. The tire would be warrantied I think but I don't want to give them one with clear abuse. Hmmm.....

8. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Someone had a similar problem and it was a seperated tire,search old posts...

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A while back there was a TSB, service bulletin, or whatever that linked steering shake to the retaining washer placed over one stud at the factory. Did not affect mine due to the wheel hub face design but worth a check.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Sublimecat

Sublimecat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Move the wheels from the front to the back one at a time. Test drive the car between each move and see if anything changes. That will help you figure out which wheel/tire is causing your problem.

11. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I read through some of the older posts and seems most had their issues resolved with rebalancing. I didn't see the tire separation one though.

Hmm. I will take a look but I'm thinking/hoping that for '16 any initial things like that were sorted out. Maybe not.

It may end up taking that kind of effort. Time consuming but worth it to get the smooth ride at highway speed.

12. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I picked the car up it had a pretty good shake on the freeway. Turns out that sitting in the cold NM weather and the fact that they were inflated to 48 psi from the factory created flat spots on the tires. Summer Pirellis don't like the cold. After a few miles it smoothed out and has been good ever since

13. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I made sure the inflation pressure was set correctly before I left and even double checked them a few times since we have had some wild temperature swings in the NE recently (24 deg on day, almost 70 the next). The car is driven almost daily so I don't think flat spotting is an issue. My TA sits quite a bit and will shake the first few miles and then smooth out once I hit the highway.

14. Lumpy53

Lumpy53 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also had a yellow jacket pretty car

15. dig601

dig601 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    their is one way to fix them if you where here on east coast we have a guy called the wheel doctor located in Yonkers ny give him a call he might be able to recommend someone near you a wheel repair shop would be your best bet that's all they do my guy can fix any wheel problem or tell you which wheel is bad, a lot of times wheels are so out of whack from factory they cant be fixed

• Agree Agree x 1