Stock Charger at BeaverSprings Dragway on June 17th, 2016

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by MattG, Jun 24, 2016.

1. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    First time out with my car

Took the Charger to Beaver Springs Dragway in Selingsgrove, Pa on Friday June 17, 2016

They have Friday night racing and the cost was cheap. Paid $25 to get in and register the car for Tech inspection. I had to buy a number that would follow me and the car forever for another $5. So total cost up front was $30 for the first time to do this. Now I have car number 713LE (LE for Lehigh County.)
    Too bad I missed out on # 707.

Time trials were from 5:30 to 7:30. So right after the inspection I put on the helmet and pulled up to the line. I hit the drive modes and selected the Drag setting. Went around the water and staged. Not having done this for a few years my pulse was going. I was excited to be there and get some time slips for the car that is advertised as 11 seconds for a Sedan.

Preparing myself for a launch at 1400 and EASING my roll out and then putting my foot down. All is good!

Pre stage then Staged. Don’t care what his next to me, just watch the lights. The tree comes down and I let off the brake. I get out maybe 10 – 15 feet and put it to the floor. Immediately fry the tires. Makin Bacon. dumb ass has the traction control off and well I did a commercial for the car. Pedal it and get back in it. First slip for the night was awful. 13.8 and 117.52mph

Well back to my parking spot to think about this and get it right. Lower the air pressure down to 28 on street tires and pull back up to do it again. With Traction control. This slip was an improvement.12.5 and 118.53mph

This is after driving 2.5 hours to get there so the car is pretty hot. And the driver not so good. I made sure the air pressure was at 32 when I left home and did not think about it till after the second run. When I put my tire gauge on it. The darn pressure was up to 39 PSI. I had not known that they would go up that high while driving it.

Third run was a 12.31 and 118.89 mph and put in sport mode with traction control. Forth run was just the same range at 12.28 and 119.37 mph.

Last two runs I dropped the air to 25PSI and in sport mode W TC on. A 12.27 @ 120.27mph.

Getting ready to leave for the drive home I was approached by a guy who runs a 2013 Ford Ecoboost.

He asks if we could go against each other and I obliged him. I first said you might be me but not the car since this is my first time with it at the track. But as I get better with it the times will come down. He stated he lives close by and attends this track often. ( wait for it) so we get into the lanes and we get together for the race. I was told to tune in my radio to 88.3 FM and you can hear the track announcer all day long.

Pre stage and staged, we take off. Again I fry the tires and he has 2-3 cars on me out of the gate. about ½ track I hear the announcer state that the charger might not chase him down. I guess my Charger heard that and by the end of the track I drove around him for the win. My last time slip was 12.36 @ 120.14

On Saturday I look up the car numbers to find out that this EcoBoost car was the top person in the class I was in so I feel pretty good on getting a better time than he did.( Attends often, no just every week.)

So now I have a lot of homework to do to get better. My launching skills need a lot of work and my 60’s stink. I used a full tank of gas for the night and had a ball. Took 2 hours to clean off all the bugs and dirt but well worth it. Faster cars there, sure. If I lived closer I would be there more often.

I have read many posts on these Hellcats and have to agree that the tires are not the right ones to be on the car. It needs more contact and a much more controlled right foot.

Gotta do my homework for sure. Maple Grove is have the distance from my home. So a trip there might be looking better.

Practice, practice, practice

Thanks for listening.

Matt

• Like Like x 3
  2. MattG

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    And here is a picture of the track that night

Can someone tell me if this is normal conditions for good runs?

Juice, I envy your times at the track.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. MattG

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I found a few pics that were taken at the track by one of the photographers.

Attached Files:

4. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Keep dropping that tire pressure. Take em down to 20 lbs. i've been drag racing for decades mostly just test and tune and my first pass of the night is still nerve racking....every time. Don't know why lol! Only thing I hate is cleaning up all the rubber out of the wheel wells.

5. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh ya...and you probably just put yourself on an addictive path...now you'll be hell-bent on getting those times dow. But it sure is a blast!

6. Juice

Juice Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Great times for the first time out.... Getting to know Your car is most important. Also as stated above you will need to lower the tire pressure to around the 20-22 psi range.

What were your 60ft times?
    Post a pic of the best time slip.