Storage

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by BLK CAT, Aug 26, 2015.

1. BLK CAT

BLK CAT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well, after having added a Challenger Hellcat to my collection, the time has come for it to be stored. From September 2, 2015, to the end of May, 2016.

The car is only a few months old, and has well under 300km, as I only took it to a few shows, and an occasional Saturday drive. I doubt I will even put as many on next season, however, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding whether I should change the oil/ fluids, etc., prior to storing.

2. cruizinrc

cruizinrc HCC New Jersey State President Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd get wheels of the ground as if there summer tires there soft as hell I'd think flat spots
    Mine will sit once they salt and since I have a lift in my garage it will help keep mine of the ground
    Ron

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  3. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thats a short time out. sorry about that.
    I would change oil, and set in delivery mode maybe get it off the ground.
    Put it away extra clean.

I put one of my cars away dirty last year and I was not happy trying to clean it up in the spring.

4. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've got one oddity I've experienced from having mine in storage already for 6 months. When I opened my car to pull it out of storage I noticed a haze on my windows and dashboard. I'm thinking it was adhesive vapor. It took me about an hour but it scrubbed off the dashboard with a damp cloth. I'm considering leaving my windows cracked a hair before covering it up for the winter.

I also change my oil and put a few miles on it before storage. This winter I'll put it on jack stands to keep from flat spotting my tires.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I put my car away last year, it went into sleep mode,, never had an issue with battery.. this year I will do the same, jack stands

6. sublime6spd

sublime6spd Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You should drive your car and enjoy it!!!!!
    Had mine 3 months and put 9,000kms so far!
    If your garage isn't heated, be sure to remove rims and tires and store in bsmt. The rubber compound will break down in the cold and come spring you'll be driving on dried out rock hard lumps instead of soft sticky tires.
    Put some stabil in the gas tank with a full tank of fuel.
    Change the oil
    Put car on stands
    Try and stay sane for the winter months while waiting too drive the car again ;)
    Put battery on trickle charger
    I will be doing the above and won't be starting the car until spring.
    Dryer sheets under seats and in trunk and possibly rags in exhaust tips to block openings. Car will be covered with factory cover.
    hope that helps
    FYI Armdrop dragracing at picton airstrip sept 19th, there will be a FEW hellcats there myself including having fun. Bring it out one last time ;) before storage

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my garage is heated, only issue I have is if I need to work on my daily driver, then the hellcat will need to come off jack stands and be put outside until I finish with what ever repair I need to do ,, which will be in dry weather, my hellcat don't sit outside in the rain, or snow......

• Like Like x 1
  8. BLK CAT

BLK CAT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No need to apologize. It's to collect. The next one I'm adding will be the 50th Anniversary Shelby 550.

9. BLK CAT

BLK CAT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The garage is heated and insulated. I was thinking more of a lift...

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gee, you guys need to move south...LOL
    Seriously, do you folks have any issues with the Ethanol in your tank for extended periods? I don't store my car but I don't drive it much and wonder about the Alcohol in the tank long term.

11. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have stored my 09 Challenger SRT in an unheated (dry, concrete floor) pole building for 6 winters now with no problems. The only thing I do is put a Battery Tender on it. The tires are still fine. By far the biggest concern in winter storage is to make sure there are NO mice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is August 31 and we are talking about winter storage? You guys are bumming me out, I plan on starting the car every 4 or 5 weeks in the winter. I am worried about mice, put some moth balls under the hood

13. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A few things I recommend (not a complete list but a few things) for storage...
    • Change oil and filter prior to storage. This will help get any acids in the oil out of the engine.
    • Store car with wheels off the ground (on jackstands) if possible... If not then over inflate the tires to about 50PSI but remember to adjust when it comes out of storage
    • Store it with a full tank of fresh gas (avoids condensation build up in tank) and I use Marine (blue) stabil
    • It's good to store it with the windows open if possible.
    • Get a CTEK battery charger/tender and hook it up to the battery prior to storage. Batteries like to be charged and the CTEK will charge the battery and monitor the state of charge so it is not overcharging. CTEK makes a great charger.

I was thinking of buying a car cover for my car for the winter months but after thinking it over I think I'm going to pickup a bubble from carcapsule and go that route. For a few bucks more it seems like the smarter way to go. I'm hoping to get to drive mine until at least the end of November but that's entirely up to mother nature LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BLK CAT

BLK CAT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    None of my collection is up on jacks for extended periods of time. It is not good for the suspension-which wasn't built to hang for months on end.

Of course, you replace the fluids, add in a stabilizer, maybe even a trickle charger too.

These cars of mine are not daily drivers, so they've also got to get started every couple of weeks in the winter especially.

15. tsubahog

tsubahog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed^^^^

I also roll mine a few inches every time I start them to prevent tire flat spots and to get fluid flowing in the trans