STP S2XL OIL Filter

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by Aarcuda, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i know. I know. Pos. Well it was $4 when I was buying my oil so I figured I'd get one and tear it open to see what it looked like.

And you know what? It looks like the 041 SRT filter. I'm not joking. But this is made in Korea. It's got a silicon gasket and anti drain back valve and a spring loaded bypass. And the filter material looks like the same stuff too. Take a look

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    And I removed the paper from both and they measured the same stretched out lengthwise

3. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The box claims its 99% efficient at 20 microns

4. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    same maker different label??????

5. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    dont think so. the SRT filter is marked Made in Poland whereas the STP filter says made in Korea. Also, the filter paper is VERY close but slightly different. the SRT filter paper is darker than the SRT filter and has a gree line imprinted along the middle outside surface where the STP filter paper doesnt.

But papers measure .031" thick and have the same series of parallel quilted lines at the same exact spacing going around the paper. I'll try and get a picture

6. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The lines were a little hard to see so I traced them (not very well). You can see the quilting spacing matches perfectly (ignore the line all the way to the right. I screwed up tracing it but it does match) image.jpeg

7. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used the Fram XG2 probably to the dismay of fellow forumites. Rated for syntheics. Available on the shelf at Wal Mart. Used Fram for years in all types of cars. I've put 250k miles on two different pickups using their filters.

8. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also have used Fram for years but I have a good friend who is a mechanic at Acura and he does lots of work on the side out of his home shop. He told me the Fram filters today are poor and to avoid them. So just last spring I stopped using them on anything that I own. It is more expensive and not as convenient

9. redhemi

redhemi Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    s17.jpg What do you guys think of this filter,I was on ray barton's site (famous hemi builder) This one is for the 6.4 the filter is reuseable, you remove and clean the screen and replace
    Its a little pricey 159.00

10. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can't comment on how well this filter works or not but in my mind this is a huge red flag of you have an oil related engine issue under warranty.

I wouldn't want dodge and our the dealer putting me in the middle of sorting this one out when they point fingers to the filter.

11. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    a few years back I had a Ram truck with a Cummins turbo diesel and dodge put out a bulletin that said they would not warranty any Cummins motors or oil related failures in the motor unless it had a Mopar or a Wix filter. so to me I would rather save money somewheres else just for the peace of mind God forbid that something happened to the motor and you have to have it towed in at least you know that they can't reject a claim because of a unapproved or defective oil filter not designed for that motor just to save a couple of bucks, at least that's how I see it be safe us the 041 and be done with it.
    Bam Bam

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did he offer an explanation on why he thought they were poor? I'm not saying they are or aren't, but why does he have that opinion?

13. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    he has several failures with them caused engine damage thats all I know and if he says they are no good its good enough for me. just my 02 cents worth

14. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There have been lots of independent reviews of Fram oil filters showing crappy construction. The end caps on the filter material is cardboard. It's glued on. Not metal like higher end filters.

15. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I am a Fram Hater and this is why...

#1 Paper end caps, Yes it will work but why paper when you can have metal for $1 more?
    #2 The location and design of the Fram pressure relief ( by-pass) valve.
    On the Fram the plastic valve is at the bottom of the filter ( away from the opening or intake) When the Fram valve is NOT in by-pass it works like all filters, oil enters, flows down the outer sides then filters through the filter media and back up the center and returns to the engine.

As I see it, when the Fram valve is in by-pass for pressure relief, the oil enters the filter, then flows down the outside media as normal but then flows through that open valve at the bottom and not through the filter media. That oil will wash down that outer contaminated filter media and then be allowed to return to the engine unfiltered and now contaminated, metal shavings and all. Terrible design IMO!

To me, it looks like the Fram oil filter media gets a good wash down every time the by-pass valve opens!

The Wix has the pressure relief valve at the top of the filter so when it is open or in by-pass the oil never gets in the filter so no contamination from the dirty outer filter media could ever return to the engine. The dirt and metal shavings stay in the filter with the Wix design.
    Video explains it better than I can.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015