Strange startup and drive mode issues

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat TSB's' started by Justin_M_2, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Justin_M_2

Justin_M_2 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Has anyone else had either of the below issues??

1. When I start the car it revs up high like it should when the car is cold. However when I start it up after its been shut off for a few minutes, it starts very low idle and almost gargles a little. The other day it started for half a second, died, then gave me this really weird wineing sound, then started up again. ?????

2. I've noticed when it did the above or starts with a lot to gargle, it reset my custom drive mode. I have to go in and repick my custom settings.

Please help!! Thanks!!

2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Never had either happen to me. Did you get a fuel line recall done? If so was it only after that?

3. Justin_M_2

Justin_M_2 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes I had that recall done. I also did the pcm and trans flash as well at that time. I think it was after all that.

4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    A few on here had the dying issue TallCool1 whatever happened with yours?

5. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm still have a rough first start of the day since the fuel line recall. It always starts but it never happened so rough and with a hesitation before the recall.

6. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought I solve it after changing gas, not. Happened yesterday 1st time in a while. Seems maybe outside or ambient temp related, maybe. Higher ambient temp at cold start, less frequent. Dunno. Maybe. Bothers the shit out of me in cold temps makes remote start almost useless, best case unreliable.

It'll be sometime before I tear into further. I did open case with SRT. Back to shop many times as you know. Rail replaced twice no difference. Never tore into detailing injector performance, rail pressure or decay etc. That will be an all day ordeal, hooked up to WiTech, probably fall time. I may record some data with my scantool and torque pro, to see what it shows between now and then.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In reading 1st post my car behaves bass awkward, only happens cold start, after car hasn't ran for quite a long time. Never warm, never 2nd attempt on cold start. Only 1st attempt cold start. Otherwise perfect.

8. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would take it to the dealer and have them put it on the analyzer. Somethings very wrong. IMVHO

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh agree have done so many times, but, not hooked up when cold, so... But no DTC's set, nothing obvious seen. Need to due when it shows...

(Never once heard a whine like original op, but his issue written happens when warm. And does appear priming fuel pump with key on and waiting, seems to reduce frequency on mine... at 1st cold start.)

10. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very strange. I guess after my black hood hell experience, I've been pretty lucky. Hope you get it resolved soon. Keep us informed.

11. Justin_M_2

Justin_M_2 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah on cold start mine really starts great and revs up. After I drive it and shut it off, then restart it, it starts kind of hesitantly. Only scared me one time when it didn't start right away and made some winding sound then started.

As for the SRT drive modes, the custom mode always resets after a weird start too...weird...

12. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know magnummrk was having a problem like the one you guys are describing. I think he was trying an oiled air filter. And was thinking that might have had something to do with it!

13. mblasr

mblasr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Does this happen with remote start , button start ,both?

14. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hearing these issues, is the reason I have not had my recall done, I don't want to start having an issues with something that's there is nothing wrong with to begin with... I wonder if anyone on this forum has actually had a fuel rail leak of any kind....

15. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm been thinking somewhat along the same lines. I've found a fuel rail and it is on its way. But is it a new fuel rail issue or just the PCM updates the dealer carries out that is causing the problem. I have no worries there