SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Strange startup and drive mode issues

6K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Justin_M_2 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had either of the below issues??

1. When I start the car it revs up high like it should when the car is cold. However when I start it up after its been shut off for a few minutes, it starts very low idle and almost gargles a little. The other day it started for half a second, died, then gave me this really weird wineing sound, then started up again. ?????

2. I've noticed when it did the above or starts with a lot to gargle, it reset my custom drive mode. I have to go in and repick my custom settings.

Please help!! Thanks!!

#2 ·
Never had either happen to me. Did you get a fuel line recall done? If so was it only after that?

#6 ·
I thought I solve it after changing gas, not. Happened yesterday 1st time in a while. Seems maybe outside or ambient temp related, maybe. Higher ambient temp at cold start, less frequent. Dunno. Maybe. Bothers the shit out of me in cold temps makes remote start almost useless, best case unreliable.

It'll be sometime before I tear into further. I did open case with SRT. Back to shop many times as you know. Rail replaced twice no difference. Never tore into detailing injector performance, rail pressure or decay etc. That will be an all day ordeal, hooked up to WiTech, probably fall time. I may record some data with my scantool and torque pro, to see what it shows between now and then.

#5 ·
I'm still have a rough first start of the day since the fuel line recall. It always starts but it never happened so rough and with a hesitation before the recall.

#7 ·
In reading 1st post my car behaves bass awkward, only happens cold start, after car hasn't ran for quite a long time. Never warm, never 2nd attempt on cold start. Only 1st attempt cold start. Otherwise perfect.

#9 ·
Oh agree have done so many times, but, not hooked up when cold, so... But no DTC's set, nothing obvious seen. Need to due when it shows...

(Never once heard a whine like original op, but his issue written happens when warm. And does appear priming fuel pump with key on and waiting, seems to reduce frequency on mine... at 1st cold start.)

#11 ·
Yeah on cold start mine really starts great and revs up. After I drive it and shut it off, then restart it, it starts kind of hesitantly. Only scared me one time when it didn't start right away and made some winding sound then started.

As for the SRT drive modes, the custom mode always resets after a weird start too...weird...

#14 ·
Hearing these issues, is the reason I have not had my recall done, I don't want to start having an issues with something that's there is nothing wrong with to begin with... I wonder if anyone on this forum has actually had a fuel rail leak of any kind....

#15 ·
I'm been thinking somewhat along the same lines. I've found a fuel rail and it is on its way. But is it a new fuel rail issue or just the PCM updates the dealer carries out that is causing the problem. I have no worries there

#18 ·
Mine does this, cold start in the morning revs a bit high, then dies down after 6-10 seconds, idles normal after that. Subsequent starts do not have the initial high rev.

To me this is reminiscent of an automatic choke on a carb. Cold start blocks some air and dumps additional fuel into the manifold to get the engine going, then opens up once manifold vacuum reaches a certain level.

#19 ·
Did this problem ever get fixed? What was it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.