Street Outlaws - NOTHING STREET ABOUT IT!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by buddyg, Feb 22, 2016.

1. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The show is fun to watch but come on. These fastest guys like Kye Kelly and Daddy Dave's borrowed Corvette are nothing but all out tube chassis, stripped out, race cars. They have to TRAILER them to the streets to run a "Street" race, what a joke.

In my mind a street race means you drive your street car to the race and beat someone else who drove their street car to the race. Some of these guys don't have 10 miles on their cars driving on the street.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 4
  2. saagz87

saagz87 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I totally agree there isn't much left street about it besides the controlled street they run on with an ambulance and police onsite in case of issues. BUT, we are mostly car guys here and car shows are good no matter how bad haha. In reality, when the show started they were basically all street cars that could get you to work and had radiators. Now they are far from being able to drive to the local Walmart in their "street race" cars. But when you are competitive and have no rules and people start bringing pro mods and kicking your ass time and time again what are you going to do? Keep getting beat or adopt the new style...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. stuka1166

stuka1166 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I completely agree...They have definitely "strayed" from the grass roots street racing of old. BUT...I'll still watch it, and it's better then most of the garbage on TV anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree. Now we have lots of bleeps and fist fights. I watched part of that last night also, it was ok. I would pay for the uncut version just because I am more offended by beep, beep, beep than whatever they are saying.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I say we pool our money rent a bunch of street lights at thousands of dollars along with major camera production crews and have a race night. It is seriously a staged event and was spawned from guys street racing but at s much smaller stage. The show is fun to watch but realistic not so much

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree, fun to watch but how many can relate to running Pro Stock on a street, which is really a closed track. I know it's unrealistic to run on the street, but how about street worthy cars? 9-13 second cars would be pretty cool to see. Some Mopars, Chevys, and Fords with full bodies/frames and driven home after racing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Kye definitely needs to brush up on his speaking skills, very dry and read straight off a card, or so it seemed. LoL

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As I was reading I thought you were writing Kye has to brush his teeth. Lol

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree fun to watch, but not much street about it. imo

10. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Reality TV is anything but

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's fun to watch, but I just consider it "no prep" racing on a street type surface. It's crazy how well they can get some of them down the road. They definitely have them set up right for what they do. Though the approaching pro mod aspect now takes away from it.

In the one episode they explained what their traction compound mix was. They were taking MEK ( Methyl Ethyl Keytone) and mixing it in the traction compound. That's nasty stuff. It'll eat dried epoxy paint. Basically ai would think that would be more like making the slick compound/street gooey more than making the road sticker.

I used to like watching Pinks All Out too. Last I heard he was trying to get ownership of the franchise back from a network. Has that returned in any form yet? Was cool to see each track, the turn out to race and spectator attendance. Was cooler when Nate Pritchett was a host though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you want to see actual street racing find out where they meet in your local area. Cop's won't give you a hard time for just watching usually. Bring the hellcat along and you will get a-lot of lookers and call outs though depending on the area

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. El-Gato

El-Gato Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Must depend on area last time in Houston spectating cops surrounded the area locked down about 100 cars and issued tickets to everyone in attendance. Detroit 2015 same situation down in rouge park only they were also snatching cars impounding them and tow companys helped theirselfs to some expensive aftermarket parts you had a choice pay to get your vehicle out of impound or risk more parts dissapearing from your ride that was a expensive lesson for some. Im sticking to the "reality entertainment" or the drag strip from now on. If your just going to speculate street drags safest to drive a beater And dont forget your scanner you can drive right out and never get a second look.

14. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    El-gato im from Detroit you must mean Epworth street thats where they were impounding spectator cars for racing.

15. Draggin

Draggin Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I guess I disagree with most of you. I do not disagree that for the most part street racing is two cars being driven to the site. But back before Fast and the Furious here in Houston street racing was a big deal. The cars to see, were the trailer cars this is no different. Only difference is it is more of a controlled environment and it is just those guys. They used to run the trailer cars at all different times just because morons come out to watch and it happened on more than one occasion that a spectator did something stupid on the top end. Now I do have a personal opinion that your car should be able to pass inspection at safety only. But I can't say that is a deal breaker since if you are clearly willing to brake the law what is a couple more.