Street tire upgrade

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Noquarter, May 23, 2015.

1. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looking for help from the tire gods out there.

I know drs have been discussed, but looking for a bit more info.

Im getting 2 18" tribute rims with either mt et or nt05/ for the track (305s)

But im also looking for a good tire for everyday driving to go on my stocks. My hellcat came with the all season tires and that just sounds dangerous to me.

For everyday driving i would like a fatter tire in the rear also, but the nitto invo only comes in 295/35s which is to short i think. I will go with the stock 275/40 up front but with the same brand of what ever i buy for the rear.

Who has upgraded their dailies with something that works well? Can you give me name and size?

Thanks

2. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This post belongs in the Wheels and Tires section.
    If you go to that section you will find a plethora of thoughts on tires for the Hellcat.

In short, the problem with the stock wheels is the 9.5 inch size for the rears.
    It limits tire width choices.

Some people are putting 305/35/20 tires on them, but those tires are too wide for manufacturers to recommend on the 9.5 inch tires.
    295's are the widest that tire and wheel manufacturers recommend for 9.5 inch wheels.
    Problem is, you have few choices in 295 size tires, and as you pointed out, if you go 295/35's you have too short a tire. If you go 295/40's you have too tall of a tire.
    So that's why some are going 305/35 which is still shorter than the stock set up (and too me looks it on the car).
    Plus if there was ever a problem, or an accident due to a blow out, a savy insurance agency could refuse coverage on your car, as they may notice that you put too big of a tire (305/35/20) on a 9.5 inch wheel. So I choose to avoid that size tire for the two reasons I listed (looks a bit short, not recommended for stock wheel width).

Hence the reason Dodge chose the 275/40's
    They probably did it because it was the only reasonable tire size to go with, without having staggered wheels on the car.
    But that's exactly what they should of done.
    The rear wheels SHOULD be 20 x 10.5's
    And with that size, you'd want to put 315/35/20 tires on. Same overall diameter as the 275/40's in the front, but just about 1.5 inches wider.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ya sorry.. Posted in wrong section. Maybe admins can more it for me?

Well that sucks