Strongly considereing buying Hellcat in 2016. But...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by BodybuildingSenior, Aug 29, 2015.

1. BodybuildingSenior

BodybuildingSenior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Reading some of the posts as touching service after the sale, reliability etc.: A few thoughts I have had before I put down all cash. I can get one, owing to my business connections. (retired has it benefits with connections). Anyway: this is a high tech vehicle, with more computer power in it than NASA had during the entire moon program. We come a long way. The car is more an app than a car. The engine (I know a lot about engines) is one of the most complex currently in a US made car. The dealer network is not set up for handling this vehicle. The dealers did not want to sell this car. It was a top down decision. It is akin to McDonalds telling the franchises to cook breakfast all day, requiring the purchase of new kitchen stuff. Dodge, like McDonalds, is geared up for the middle market. The techs, or some of them, think supercharge means using the credit card often. The dealers do not want repeated phone calls, tying up the mechanics all day. You spent a lot of money and expect excellence. You will not get it long term from them. You need to find a local highly trained person that loves these cars. At this dollar level, the big hairy ego takes over and there are many other choices out there. This car is a cash drain and will become more so in the future. Especially when the warranties expire. Given all this, I will still probably buy however I go into this eyes open. And prepared for wallet open.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Put a shirt on.............please.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. BodybuildingSenior

BodybuildingSenior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Geez. Lighten up.

4. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Talk, talk, talk, either you are pregnant or your are not. The engine does not scare me, it is still just an computer controlled air pump.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like you need a Corvette, not a Hellcat...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    He's just, well I don't know, sans shirt wants a kitty doesn't want a kitty, picture is creepy though

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Quite a different spin on it. Thanks for that. Guess we need to step up to the plate and learn about our car since we can't count on the service dept knowing.

8. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Body Builder, I can tell you that I had no qualms ordering this car. I owned 2 Dodge Challengers before my HellCat (2009 SRT8 and 2013 392), and I have never had one issue with any of them. I keep getting the updates and recalls done on Dante, and he is performing just as reliably as the previous two did, so I have no complaints on that front. I did, however, purchase the extended warranty on Dante, due to this being the first year they have made this engine. If you want one of these cars, I say go for it! I did ... because we only live once, and we cannot take it with us! :)

April

PS - The service department of my dealership is small, but reliable, trustworthy, and awesome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe time for a new avatar what do you think

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My dealer didn't beg me not to order one because they didn't want to sell/maintain it. Dealers seem to be quite happy selling the Hellcats.

11. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is just cutting edge technology. Cars have always had cutting edge technology introduced in the top end models. Power steering, power brakes, automatic transmission, computers to regulate fuel delivery, ABS, etc. and the list goes on. Now, most of that cutting edge stuff is mainstream and service technicians have either had to stay current or get out of the business. The Hellcat is no different except that it is a giant step forward rather than a "baby step". I say this respectfully, but for someone who claims "(I know a lot about engines)", I'm astounded that you don't understand this. The high tech developments that we're seeing on the Hellcats will be commonplace on the Darts, Cobalts, Focuses, Jettas, Elantras, etc. sooner than you may believe. If you like the car and can afford the car, chillax and get one. If not, you can still dream about it. Even if you live in BFE USA, the training to service these cars isn't far off. As far as dealers not wanting to sell theses cars, I take issue with that. If there's a product to sell that everyone wants and the dealers can make money, they line up to be able to sell it. Hope you figure out what you want to do. Have you considered consulting a Magic 8 Ball?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Definitely nothing wrong with going in with both eyes open, in fact that is really smart. Most people should do this with everything they buy. I have owned a few Dodge vehicles and never had any major issues, and my last Dodge was a 2013 Dodge Challenger Srt8 which was a fantastic vehicle. The only issue I had with it was one of my shocks had to be replaced which was covered by the warranty. I'd still have that fine machine if I could have afforded it and the new Hellcat I'm ordering.
    I feel that it doesn't matter between Old technology or new technology all of them can have issues and cost you big money ;)
    Good luck with your new purchase and have fun with it.

PS: As for your avatar keep up the good work. I too hit the gym and know how hard it is to put in the hard work.

13. ReoTom

ReoTom Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dude... It's a muscle car... you want statistics and analitical study buy a Volvo! :eek::D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1st thing---put a shirt on----no one wants to see a naked old dude...even one in good shape...its disturbing

i bought my 2nd challenger knowing it will most likely have more issues than a normal car....i bought 2 because i love the car......dodge is a B grade car company......i accept it....if your buying thinking its got Honda quality you will be disappointed at some point....

buy it, take your shirt/pants off and drive it around town.......let that naked body enjoy the super soft leather seats......

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah what she said