Summer Tires = rock chips?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by rollieman, Oct 12, 2015.

1. rollieman

rollieman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you think the optional summer tires tend to cause more rock chips on the paint as well as the wheels compared to the AS standard tires?

I know there are things you can do to protect the paint such as mud guards and or expel, but, not much you can do about the wheels.

Thank you !

2. Dragon

Dragon Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got 2k miles on mine and no chips but the summer tires are sticky and you can hear the rocks flying up hitting the inner fender liner when going slow. this past weekend I put on mopar splash guards.

3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    had chips in the wheels at 500 miles......nothing you can do...its a car, not a million dollar painting...unless your going to trailer it your going to get chips....i put mud flaps on immediately and clear bra....the finish on the wheels appears to be Mexican spray paint...its really not much of a finish at all...these rims will look like crap in a couple of years...

Dr's help some....they dont seem to kick up nearly as much....i know my F1's on my Mustang are 2-3x worse than the P0's at picking up and throwing small gravel....when i drive through my cul de sac the noise is almost defining in my gt500....so if you think the P0's are bad you havent seen anything......i see stones flying up over the roof of my car on the GT500......the GT500 rims are actually done in a finishing process...not just spray paint....so they dont chip as easy.....when swapping tires on both cars dr.buick told me how tough it is to do on the HC vs my GT500.....HC has cheap finished wheels..thats why i laugh when people ask $4k for a used set.....i think they are worth $1750 tops.....market will get in line with reality eventually

i bought a 2nd set of rims for my gt500....id like to for my HC, but not paying $4k

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. slester1

slester1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes the summer tires definitely do sling more small gravel than the AS tires as Ive had both sets on 2 different SRT8 CARS.

5. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it depends on the temp, amount of debris on the road and how you drive. unfortunately what happens when you drive a car. I would agree on hot days with aggressive driving the summers will have more of a sticky surface to pick up and sling material. If you look at any spinning tire they all send road debris around and into the wells

6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i have the AS's i cant imagine how bad the summers are... EVERYTHING sticks long enough to get flung up