Supercharged Emblems On Factory Satin Black Hood

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by RammJaeger, Mar 13, 2015.

1. RammJaeger

RammJaeger Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm thinking about putting the original supercharged emblems that were on the fenders of the pre-production Hellcats on the sides of my hood scoop as you have probably seen some members have done. My fear is, I'm going to have the factory satin black hood, and I'm worried the emblems may jack up the paint if I decide to remove them at some point. What do you all think?

2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If it's satin hood and it requires delicate care already then maybe don't do it. But if you really want to it shouldn't be a big issue since the underlying part where the emblem sits won't be touched to external dirt and water anymore. However taking them off may strip the satin assuming it's really delicate. Hope other members can chime in.

3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i would assume you heat them up to remove them......i think it will show a ghost image of them since the hood will fade/weather

if its what you want to do, then id do it.....repaint the hood someday if you want to remove them

4. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd just plan for worst case scenario and assune that the Black Satin will get messed up if you take the supercharged emblem off.

First, as Huggy pointed out, at the very least, the unexposed black paint under the letters will look darker because the surrounding area will fade somewhat. Playing the devil's advocate, the darker paint "ghost" of supercharged might be a cool effect, but only if the "supercharged ghost" looks even in color intensity and the letters are well defined.

Second, I've read posts where people have to use dental floss and Goo Gone or other solvent to get the adhesive off. The dental floss might be abrasive and leave a shiny spot. The Goo Gone is an organic solvent, and I'd bet that it will also cause the Satin Black to get a sheen.

In the end, do what you like and live with the consequences, good or bad.

5. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would advise against goo gone since some articles I have read have ruined some folks paints

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. springman

springman Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You wanted the factory satin black hood and no doubt had to wait a long time for them to get it right. Leave it alone and out them on the fender where they belong like I did. image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought about this but didn't do it. Thanks for sharing.