Supercharger drive belt failure

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by FL 1st Hellcat, Oct 10, 2015.

1. FL 1st Hellcat

FL 1st Hellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I was curious about the topic of supercharger drive belt failure. I saw the post about replacing the original with the Gates green belt, seemed to make sense, so I ordered one and it now resides in the trunk, as a back up spare. What I was wondering was, just what is the failure mode for the engine if the supercharger drive belt suddenly gives up the ghost and self destructs? Does the engine run normally, albeit as a normally aspirated version of it's prior supercharged self-(enabling you to drive to the dealer or other maintenance facility, where it is a simple fix to replace the drive belt with the spare), or, are the turning screws inside the supercharger so airtight, as they would need to be to prevent loss of the compressed charge while turning, that they would prevent any atmospheric pressure air at all from entering the intake manifold. The latter would obviously incapacitate the car at that point, requiring a tow. Essentially, when/if it fails, is it incapacitating for the car, or a non-event?

Regards,

Pat

2. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I truly feel to change the supercharger belt is absolutely just doing something that doesn't need to be done.i have not heard of one fail yet that being said yes they have replaced for superficial cracks but not failing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HELLCAT_GTX

HELLCAT_GTX Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Anyone heard of problems with the supercharger pulley bearings? The only reason I ask is, when I went to the dealer to pick up my Hellcat (after 367 days from order) they told me that there was some noise the they (and Dodge Service HQ) determined to be a bad bearing in the pulley. So 3 or 4 days after the repair, I pick up my car. One week after that, the owner of the dealership calls and asks if I can bring it back because Dodge told them they also should have replaced the supercharger gasket. I have to say, all this did not leave me with much confidence in the car or the dealer. All seems well now, but I've got my eyes and ears on everything everyday.

4. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You surmised correctly, it would not allow any air to the combustion chamber and would not run. The clearance for lobes are measured in the thousandths.

5. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes I would think the lobes are pumping air so they must be tight else it couldn't pump. So if it stopped turning it should pretty much seal up the intake charge

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FatCat

FatCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm hearing a shrill noise from by S/C belt/pully. The belt is snug and looks ok.
    I wonder if it a bearing?
    3K miles , m6, build in may,2015

7. HELLCAT_GTX

HELLCAT_GTX Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you hearing this noise at idle or high RPM?

8. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've also just developed a pulley / bearing noise. Started Sunday. Only hear it at idle but I can hear it faintly from inside the car. Just praying it is not an issue with the supercharger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. FatCat

FatCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Idle
    After warmup
    Same, faint from inside car with window down

10. Cdub

Cdub Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sales Mngr at my Dealership has a 2015 Challenger Hellcat and had the SC snout bearing go bad @ 300mi. They replaced the SC and were asked to send the bad one in for R & D.

• Useful Useful x 1