suspension/alignment help...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Builds' started by Dr. SS, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Dr. SS

Dr. SS Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my car is on KW sleeve kit/coils
    razor edge/speed logix, billet rear upper and lower control arms
    razor edge/speed logix trailing arms
    DSS shaft

I got the car aligned, to get the camber neutralized from being lowered
    they were able to get the RT rear to -0.1, but the left would not go anymore then -0.8... which was peculiar
    apparently camber settings are diff from left to right on challengers? perhaps from loading and fuel tank weight

anyhow to make it all even and get the cross camber right, its now set at -0.8 left and 1.0 on right for camber
    im told the caster and toe , total toe have all ben placed into spec
    the front camber is -1.9 and -1.3 (R / L) ? I have to look at the exact spec- and im told that's from lowering the car and cannot be adjusted
    on the REAR the driver tire sticks out more then passenger but I think this is due to the cradle being lowered and its out of alignment its very subtle but my mechanic is going to realign the cradle

anyhow along with all that I did put on a fresh set of MT ET S/S 305 DR, and the car hooks way better

but now the car has some really weird handling dynamic...
    on power when ur accelerating sometimes I feel like the back end is swaying and squirming its unnerving
    also when ur taking a curve or corner kind of fast the steering feels numb not communicative, disconnected and the rear end as well it will feel like the car is floating not connected to road its just weird as ****.
    I don't remember the car doing any of this stuff stock, or even when it was just lowered...
    I also feel the steering has lost some its sharpness and quickness and on center feel

I know the car is not a great handling car but it def was not as floaty and swaying as it is now
    if the cradle is off center just a hair could that be causing all these symptoms?

has anyone used the whiteline kit for the cradle? or solid bushings? does that help?

I do realize the DR are going to be diff then a max performance tire for handling and cornering but before the MT ET I had NITTO NT555R and I used to hammer the shit out of it and the car was solid and cornered solid granted at that time I was not making the power I am now I was stock power wise

rt now the car is on 2.65/10% OD/ID1300 and makes 825/877 on E85

thanks for any advice just want the car to feel buttoned down and controlled like it used to be

2. YLWJKT

YLWJKT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's the MT SS tires. The sidewall has much more flex and will allow the rear end to feel loose.

3. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Could be what he says. Your equipment sounds close to exactly what I have done to my car. Have them re-check your toe settings again. But I have been road coursing it, and it DOES handle well, it should not feel like you describe. You have some other cars that are nice machines and this should not disappoint like that. Here is a copy of my last alignment sheet. If it is close to these settings it should steer like it wants to get into the corner and feel real planted coming out. Was lapping the Hellcat with a modified GTR the other day, the Cat was not doing too bad.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've got the KW springs with P-Zero 305's in the back and mine feels EXACTLY the same . I haven't done all of the other pieces that you have though. I'm kind of thinking that the P Zero 305's are my issue...

5. pivotal

pivotal Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also have the KW sleeve kit and I'm running 295/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports - my car behaves much like yours as well. I'm adding the RE/Speedlogix arms this month, but I'm also going to upgrade the rear subframe bushings to Whiteline and see if that helps to keep the rear end planted.

Matt

6. Dr. SS

Dr. SS Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    well guys mine is doing that after doing the RE/Speedlogix arms and getting the alighment straight
    my cradle is off however
    going to see StellasHC
    he knows a guy who can line up and square up my cradle and recheck my alignment hope that improves the issue
    I will say this my MT ET S/S tires were at 36 psi, I dropped to 28 and it actually helped the float sensation some

7. sorbs

sorbs Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any updates on this? I put new rubber on all four wheels - 285/35 Pilot Sports - KW adjustable springs - 1.5" drop - and noticed the wollowing handling before the springs hoping they'd fix it. Nope! Now running 36PSI - tried 30PSI - weird.

8. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    To all of you with this issue after lowering your car, check your alignment. You especially want your rear camber to be very similar side to side and to have the least thrust angle you can have in the rear from toe. My right toe was way off and under power it had a very scary wallowing back and forth. Alignment fixed it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Demon_HellKitty15

Demon_HellKitty15 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you putting the car on a drag strip? The toe out on the front will line itself out when you got the throttle... The front end will come up allowing the tires to come back in... The rear... Not so sure. How does she run from a stand still in a straight line when hitting the throttle hard?

10. Demon_HellKitty15

Demon_HellKitty15 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    On the rear... cHeck the bushings and sway bar

If the cradle isn't set up properly or the bushings are out of whack it can ruin the way it drives and handles.