SRT Hellcat Forum banner

suspension: how does it work?

20K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Kelly_AM 
#1 ·
Just curious as I've never had a car that was able to adjust the suspension with a push of a button. How exactly does that happen? I know its a gas charged adjustable shock (I read on drivesrt) but how is it adjusted? Is there a side canister that pumps more gas in to increase the pressure?

Just a curious George here and wanting to learn.

#5 ·
oh I get it now, so leprechauns are inside of each shock and they do magic...got it!!! lol

actually I understand a little bit more than that, sounds like some sort of release valve changes how rigid the ride is. Pretty cool stuff though, thanks for the intel

#6 ·
Thanks! From the Chkn's link:

The Active Damping Control Module (ADCM) uses the CAN bus to communicate with multiple modules. The ADCM has the following inputs: Vehicle Speed, Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) position, Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), Active Damping System (ADS) input switch, and 3 acceleration sensors. There are solenoid-controlled ADS valving units on each shock absorber assembly which are the outputs for the ADCM.

The ADS input switch is a soft touch button on the radio display. When the ADS input switch is pressed with the key in the ON or RUN position, a signal is sent over the CAN bus to the ADCM and the Transmission Control Module (TCM) to change modes. The resulting change is indicated on the radio display.

The Active Damping Control Module (ADCM) controls the suspension and ride for the SRT version of this vehicle by adjusting the rebound and jounce of the shock assemblies using the above information and predetermined settings for maximum vehicle control. The shock absorbers are unique to the Active Damping System (ADS). Each shock absorber has a valving unit that is external, but still part of the shock absorber. Inside each valving unit are two solenoids that control the damping valves to alter the ride of the vehicle. The shocks are replaced as an assembly, they cannot be disassembled for repair.

The two front acceleration sensors are mounted with one on each wheel well. The rear acceleration sensor is mounted in the right rear wheel well on the shock tower. The ADCM is located in the left side of the trunk.

#8 ·
OLD thread but it looks like the shock valving is changed electromechanically by the controller. It says something about preset settings. Does it make changes once in a particular mode based on speed, gforce, pedal position, etc? Ir just make the shocks stiffer or softer based on the mode selected?
I'm still searching for answers.

#9 ·
OLD thread but it looks like the shock valving is changed electromechanically by the controller. It says something about preset settings. Does it make changes once in a particular mode based on speed, gforce, pedal position, etc? Ir just make the shocks stiffer or softer based on the mode selected?
I'm still searching for answers.
Yes, the system is constantly adapting to changing vehicle dynamics based on inputs from ADS (active damping system) sensors, vehicle speed, steering angle, throttle position and mode selection.
Each mode has it's own programmed parameters to achieve the desired results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.