Swapping out exhaust system worth it?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Blazin8888, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Blazin8888

Blazin8888 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I really love how my cat sounds stock...how much better does something like the Borla ATAK system sound? Anything else yall can recommend that is worth upgrading to?

2. chupacabra

chupacabra SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i was thinking the same ,waiting on the replys

3. Rawepwr

Rawepwr Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi Blazin8888,
    I was in the same dilemma that you are in now. I did research online, listened to sound clips and tried to hear different systems in person. I ended up going with Solo Performance Xpipe system for the Challenger. It's an X pipe straight from the cats out to the tips. It deletes the mid resonators and back mufflers(bolt on kit). The factory valves are put into the system and are still functional like stock. On cold starts it's loud as hell, on warm idle it has a deeper rumble(which I love) and on WOT it is NASTY! When I drive normal around town you wouldn't be able to tell and difference from stock unless I step on it. I was originally leaning towards Borla like you, heard the "S" and Atak in person @ Bondurant and personally didn't like. Hopefully this helps. Steve from Solo Performance is a member in the forum, he was very helpful through the whole purchase and install process. Hope this helps. BTW, a local shop installed for me.

4. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'd say if you love it the way it is there's your answer. Seems like aftermarket exhausts aren't too popular onew these. I've always put aftermarket exhausts on my cars and this is the only one where I don't think I'd want anymore sound. I've heard one in person and it sounded mean as hell, but I think I'd tire of it pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Fight On SC!

Fight On SC! SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Fort Mill, South Carolina - Charlotte,NC Area
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did you post your Solo changes? I'm thinking of this or Zoomers. I've had Zoomers before and loved them.

6. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm going corsa

7. Blackbeast

Blackbeast VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After markets I have heard sound like azz to me...some are just louder or sound allot like stock......With the oem exhaust my wife can hear me coming from a 1/4 mile away, I wake my neighboors up in the morning and shake the walls of my garage.....who the F needs louder? I love the stock exhaust I am not changing a thing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Function or fashion change? or in other words are you looking for better performance or just to make a different noise?

9. BlackSunshine

BlackSunshine Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just swapped out the mid mufflers with dynomax mini bullets. I love the way the car sounds stock but I wanted a little more volume without rasp or drone. It came out great and has a little more bass now. Just loud enough without being obnoxious. 25 bucks each so might be worth a shot for ya.

10. moparjim

moparjim SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I'm with you, still can't believe how loud this car is. Especially in angry mode. I love the way this thing sounds as is, no need to change for me either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blackbeast

Blackbeast VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Right? Three other ways to tell that an exhaust is already loud enough:
    1. Noise from exhaust interferes with the sound quality of the stereo.
    2. Your not in "show off mode" your waiting for someone who just ran into the grocery store, and you instinctively turn the car off after a couple of minutes because the constant rumble honestly gets annoying.
    3. You auto start your car on a cold morning to take your daughter to school and when you both walk into the garage its so loud she tells you when you get in the car "is their volume knob on this car for the mornings?" :D

I have experienced these things already with our OEM exhaust so you guys changing it for more volume...you gotta be deaf.:p:confused:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. cjohn7

cjohn7 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are many threads on just deleting the mid-mufflers. That is the route I took. Got the sound I was looking for.

13. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks very much for the kind words! If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me or call me at 516-655-9002.

Steve

14. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The stock exhaust is one of the best I've heard. I've been pleased with it and nobody believes that it sounds that way from the factory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BlackSunshine

BlackSunshine Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ha Ha maybe so. But I can tell you when I go to car shows and cruises I'm no longer being drowned out by my old man and his C7 z06 buddies! To me the car sounds how it looks now. :)