Swapping Tires without Wheel Damage?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by rollieman, May 24, 2016.

1. rollieman

rollieman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Getting ready to swap out my 275-40-20 AS Pirellis's in the rear for new 285-40-20 Summer Pirelli's and I ran across the thread by FINALLYSATISFIED titled Nitto 555R Mounted And Now Have Damage.

After reading all the responses I've gone from "concerned" to "horrified" at the possibility of having the black factory rims damaged in the process !!

The good news is Tire God 2 and others have outlined some valuable suggestions that may prevent this from happening which are:

1. Remove the tires yourself at home using a mar proof socket.

2. Remove the existing weights yourself at home carefully using a plastic knife then clean the adhesive residue with some 3M adhesive remover.

3. Look for a shop that has a touchless tire changer such as Pro Guard Leverless or Hunter Revolution.

I know there's a number of members who haven't had any problems, but that could be they got lucky and happen to get a skilled operator?

Thank you Tire God 2, you're invaluable member of this forum!

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    subd

3. Tire God 2.0

Tire God 2.0 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I appreciate the compliment. I'm pretty sure if you go to hunters website they have a hunter revolution finder by zip code. Coats possibly does too for the leverless changers. Also a touchless changer is just a fancy name for a leverless changer.

4. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Have to say I have the same concern or id have the drag radials by now lol. Sad you have to be so concerned about having tires changed. My goal is to find a place that does high end cars and make sure they know upfront I'm a pain in the ass if anything happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jury

Jury Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What sucks is FINALLYSATISFIED and I went to the exact same shop about 2 weeks apart and got vastly different results. Mine came out immaculate and his looked like sling blade got ahold of them. YMMV, so be very selective!!