swearing at me at great lakes dragway last night

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by huggytree, Aug 20, 2015.

1. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGxgSs0dLi8&feature=youtu.be

2nd time ever at a drag strip...figuring out my burnout still....slow night, no one around......ive watched DR. Buick do a burnout past the lights by 15+ feet....yet i get yelled at for spinning and going a bit too fast.....this guy who must run the place went off swearing while kids are in the stands...i was told he also went into the parking lot swearing more (not heard on video)......my 2nd time to a track and i dont know all the rules...live and learn.....its bad for me to go 20 mph to the starting line, but its ok for DR. Buick to smoke his tires for 30'......still not sure of the rules

guess the guy wasnt happy with me for multiple runs.....but no one tells me...i cant hear him with my helmet on....finally you see the guy staging the race what im doing wrong....thanks Great Lakes Drag way......

• Like Like x 2
  2. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    While your run up was not ideal, I don't think it's was excessively dangerous or anything. They did not handle it professionally at all. Was there a person by the burnout box signalling when to start your burnout? Always pay attention to that person. It's their responsibility to make sure the lane is safe for a burnout. They don't expect people with street tires (or even DRs) to burn out through the staging lights. You'll find that some drag strips are like bad gun stores; they cater to the people that are experts before they arrive, and make others feel like idiots instead of taking the time to show people how to be safe and have fun at the same time. Shake it off. It may make you feel more comfortable to watch how people handle the staging/burnout process on a busy night, and just mimic their behavior. Pay attention to the smaller details. And definitely ask them what they think you did wrong if they act this way again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    burnouts improved through out the night...did 9 runs.....i figured out how to get some smoke...you also dont see the full burnout here...only the end where i launch out of the burnout area....i sat there for 5+ seconds of tire spinning.....i now do burnouts and let the car shift into 2nd gear to get some smoke going.....when your in the car w/ a helmet its hard to know whats going on...i cant hear the squeal.....i only feel the spin....the only sign i have of a good burnout is the smoke

• Like Like x 1
  4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You do your burnout holding the car, when done you go slowly to stage the car not fly by the starter. If he trips for some reason while you go that quick he's going to get really hurt. I'm sure that's why he's ticked

• Like Like x 2
  5. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    He's pissed because you rolled past the beams. Best to blip it in the water box and just move out a bit. Then do your burnout and roll a bit. A short dry hop is fine. Then stop before the staging beams. Then stage. You kinda whipped past the starter and not making enough noise for him to know you were coming. Also you may have been going quicker than you would if you were spinning.

Remember They probably know DrB from his other rides and being at the track. He also did his past the beams burnouts when the cars were just coming out to the tracks and it was hyped up. Usually only light cars or very fast cars are allowed the full crazy burnouts.

If he is not the owner/manager, bring your video to the tower and ask to see either. Explain that is him yelling and kids shouldn't have to hear that. Also whoever is yelling needs to work on their attitude. Or email it to them.

6. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It's not to the beams

• Like Like x 1
  7. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What? Don't understand

His rear wheels are past the starting beams

8. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I stand corrected he did go past the beams sorry, need my glasses:(

9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    after that rant he never came up to me....i wouldnt have even known it happened if my wife hadnt told me...the guy at the starting light talked to me after the rant.......the rules for a drag race arent written down and handed out...they are learned....and im learning.........my 1st time at the track a few months ago i didnt even know about the 2 staging lights.....and they never told me...after constantly coming up to my window telling me to move more forward i figured it out after 3 runs.....no one there tells you anything...they just think you know...even after i tell them its my 1st or 2nd time drag racing ever....im not going to do anything....just thought id share this with you guys...think its kinda funny...my son knows the F word (he's 11) and my friends daughter is 7, so she knows it now too....StellasHC was there too with his wife and 2 young daughters.....im sure they are running around the house today telling their mom/dad to go F this and F that

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jared SRT Cat

Jared SRT Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I cant hang with that, i wouldve got out and fired off back at him..

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's pretty easy to see why he was so pissed. A split second before you passed him, he was still walking IN THAT LANE. He had just gotten out of the lane when you blipped by him. And barely.

If you're a novice at something (anything), don't expect everyone else to pay special attention to you in order to recognize that... then take the time to teach you. YOU let someone ELSE know that you're inexperienced.

As annoying as you think it is that no one identified you as a novice (I don't know how they're supposed to just know that right away), imagine how annoying it would be for people who race constantly there to be treated as if they were novices. It would be annoying and slow down the entire process for everyone.

You say that after 9 runs, you still didn't know that guy was pissed at you until later on when you were told by someone else. In the video he approached the car while you sat there for a good long time and was screaming in at you. Even if you couldn't hear him at first... when you saw a guy standing next to your car, clearly upset by his expression, seemingly yelling into your car at you... didn't that make you even the slightest bit curious as to what he might be saying? At that point you should have made the effort to hear him, or communicate to him that you couldn't hear him.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing it your way.

Nothing wrong at all about being a newcomer and not knowing what you're doing, but it's your responsibility to learn, not other's responsibility to pick out who the newbies are and seek them out to teach them.

As an aside were you on street tires or DR's?

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Jared SRT Cat

Jared SRT Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If the guy was that pissed why not kick the driver off the track?? No need to go off mouthing like billy badass infront of a bunch of children..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you got the story wrong..the guy yelling isnt the guy you see talking to me in the video....the guy talking to me was nice about it and simply explained what i was doing wrong.....and i did tell him it was my 2nd time to the track and was new over all...i rolled down my window on my 1st run down the track and told him...so he knew where i was coming from...my 1st time to that same track i did the same thing...rolled down my window and told him i was new and ask for help/tips.........so i did not expect them to figure out i was new...i told them.....this issue was after run #4....and i figured it out and changed my methods...got more smoky burnouts....in this video your not seeing my attempt at a burnout...your missing me do the burnout.......

i did stop and listen to the guy next to my car.....he was very cool/nice about it all...he was smiling at me

the guy yelling at me is in a red shirt behind my car somewhere....not in the video.....i saw him in the parking lot after this run when i parked my car to take a break......he was 20' from me...never looked at me or came up to me...

and i have nitto's

good news is i got 11.6 a few times....my best.....track was worse than the street...couldnt get grip....also bad air

• Like Like x 3
  14. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Judges don't send jaywalkers to prison.

Maybe his negligence wasn't so great that the guy felt it warranted booting him out, but was bad enough to deserve a little ass-chewing.

I can guarantee that in this, or any other situation... if you come that close to hitting me with your car at that speed... the LEAST I will do is hurt your feelings with a few indelicate words.

15. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like you got really lucky then. Lucky that you didn't cripple him, and lucky that he was so nice about almost getting plowed :D

I'm glad he helped point out the rights & wrongs of your runs.

Were you on street tires or DR's?