Swirls in paint

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by drtalks, Jul 12, 2015.

1. drtalks

drtalks Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just picked my cat up from the dealers. They had it under the lights in the show room so never noticed the swirls just some minor scuffs. Washed and clayed it and low and behold a crap ton of swirls on the hood, roof, and trunk lid. Tried polish and the light ones came out so then had to resort to compound which took them out. Not sure who to be pissed at the dealer or assembly plant.

2. FATCAT77

FATCAT77 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had the same thing, when my dealer got the car I told them not to detail it or touch it, as i was going to get it done professionally done. Once the detailed had it he did a bunch or first and second stage buffing to get swirls and flaws out... It all comes from the plant. Too bad they don't look at it like their own cars, not just production

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. drtalks

drtalks Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My guess from the way these presented someone with a buffer and very little skill had at it. These were random like almost a foot apart. No biggie just a day and lots of elbow grease. Ya too bad whoever is manning the buffers don't clean their pads.

4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm going to have m my car done in September, paint correction, and then sealed..

5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    mine doesnt have that issue.....eventually it will.....darker colors will show much more

micro swirls are in every car......i have better luck with GM's paint....but i remember seeing a row of camaro's and all were heavily swirled...i assumed they were washed weekly by the dealer..

something you needed to see at the dealership and handle the day you bought it...i always walk around and around a car looking for stuff like that.....i always miss something, but i try....

your probably expecting a $70k paint job on a $25k car....you get the same paint job as an SXT

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. drtalks

drtalks Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I looked pretty hard but under the show room lights but didn't see just a few scuffs which were documented. Someone had tried to hide it with wax. But it rained on the way home so had to have a bath and under good natural light the swirls jumped right out. Fortunately this isn't my first rodeo with paint so dug out the meguiars and buffer. Best paint I have seen from the factory believe it or not has been ford. But it don't last. Clear fails in about 8-10 years.

7. RoadwarriorCA

RoadwarriorCA Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wonder if there are any paint issues on the Vipers?....I have no idea....but as the price of the HC gets closer to the Viper's...you would think the QA would be a little more tighter......they are not a Ferrari...but still, they are the top of the line at Dodge........just say'in....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FATCAT77

FATCAT77 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When my cat was getting paint corrections, detailed and waxed there was a viper in there as well. They had 40+ hours on the viper to correct a lot of corrections/flaws. And that car is hand carved/painted..

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. drtalks

drtalks Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well after further inspection decided it was best to take it to body shop. I found a run in the clear on both front fenders. Also bumper cover has a couple of waves pushed down in front of hood air vents (both sides). Hood needed adjusting which I could do but since body man is going to fix the front bumper cover anyway he can. So I opened a claim with dodge. Not the end of the world. I am going to drive it till weather goes to crap and have it all fixed and then store it for the winter. For now I have a 10 ft paint job haha.

• Like Like x 1
  10. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thats why I buy white...Always. I had a black volvo that I polished monthly to keep the swirls away. All it takes is using a sponge one time on a black car and you have swirls. Use a commercial car wash and you need a full day to get them out. However, nothing looks better after you polish than a black or dark gray car IMO. No pain no gain I guess. No matter how much I polish I will never see my reflection in my white paint but no swirl marks either...

11. drtalks

drtalks Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Haha great solution. I did have a couple of black trucks and boy they were truly a pita to keep clean and polished. However they were beautiful with all the chrome polished too for about 1 day.

• Like Like x 1