Test Drive policy

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by eightmd, Jun 6, 2016.

1. eightmd

eightmd Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't own a hellcat but I'm interested in getting one so I went to my closest dealer and looked at one. Then I asked to drive it. He said they have to do a full credit application to allow me to do a test drive. I gave him most of my information but when he asked for my SSN, I decided to heck with this and walked out. I have test driven many cars in my life and they never required a full credit application. I thought maybe this sales guy or dealership was just trying to get all of my info for the hard sell followup. So I called another dealership, and they told me the same thing.

I know it is an expensive car but really. On my way home I stopped by the Porsche dealer and drove a 911 which is a good $20K over the price of the hellcat.

Is this the same experience that you guys have had?

2. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dodge dealers are stuck in the 90's and awful. I was given the opportunity to test drive fully loaded M4's and M5's that went far beyond the MSRP of the hellcat. Fully loaded 911's and etc. They weren't trained to sell 70k+ cars. Can only imagine the cherokee owners and what they went through before us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I could be wrong BUT, I'm going to take a guess and say that the price of the car is not what caused the dealers to treat you this way. I'm guessing, and it's just that, a guess, but I'd bet that it's all of the hype around these cars that causes lots of people to ask to "test" drive one of them while having zero interest in actually buying one of them.

In other words I suspect that the dealers want to make certain that a potential customer is really a potential customer with the ability to actually purchase one of these cars before letting a test drive take place.

This is not comparing anyone on the forum to them but if you happened to watch Beavis and Butthead back in the 90's (I did) there was an episode where they "washed" an elderly man's Corvair. Then they decided to "dry" it by driving it. It's hilarious but I bet that the typical sales manager thinks of something like this sometimes when a young guy comes in and wants to drive a Hellcat. Or even when an old broke down guy like me want's to drive one. I bought my first Hellcat without driving it. I traded in a "modded" 2014 GT500 that would eat a Hellcat alive (and did, two different ones) but no test drive for me until after we had the deal
    done.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Radride

Radride VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just to add to what Graycat is saying; OP you're comparing a 997 with 400hp to a 707 hp rocket? I'm pretty sure if you walked in and said "I want to test drive that 997 TTS", I'm 100% positive that you'd have to do a credit app. Last thing dealers want is everyone test driving the cars and beating the crap out of them. Would you want to buy the car after someone else has driven the car? Porsches are a dime a dozen. Hellcat's are very rare.

R.K.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just think about how, many of us, are extremely anal about our Hellcats.

Many freak-out at the thought of a service tech driving the cat into the oil change bay....

I can just imagine how some people test drive a car like the Hellcat. Obviously no offence to the OP.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I ordered mine sight unseen, much less drive one.
    You just gotta have faith.
    Then when you get your Hellcat. Get in, turn on the motor. The roar will put a smile on your face. Drive to an open road and put your foot into it. You'll immediately yell, "Oh my God!!!!" Your faith will have been validated.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't had this Hellcat to a dealer since I picked it up. However, I did take my 14 GT500 to have new tires put on the front and an alignment done. I specifically asked the service manager to let me speak with the guy doing the work if he was going to test drive the car BEFORE he drove the car. Well, that didn't happen and the kid ran the car off of the road on an interstate "clover leaf" he didn't tear up anything and more importantly no one was hurt or killed but it scared the crap out of him and it DID NOT inspire confidence in my opinion of the dealership. (Car was not stock, 746hp/748tq at the tires)

I'm telling this story because it's important to realize that only a small percentage of people have ever actually driven a powerful or a fast car. Many think that they have but most have not. It would be very easy for someone to get themselves in trouble in one of these cars. So it a dealer is going to take the chance on a driver it does make sense for them to do their due diligence on the driver's ability to actually buy the car prior to taking the chance.

As long as the dealer is polite and professional about it I have no issues with it. But I do understand that it's a hassle.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Personally I don't blame the dealers. I didn't test drive this before I bought it, and I don't think I would have bought this model if it had been test driven by 10 people before me. How many people probably come in and want to test drive a 700hp beast with zero intention of buying (or being able to be credit approved).

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Jackski64

Jackski64 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I went to my dealer because they had a Hellcat on the lot. Sat with the salesman for a while taking about the car first. When I inquired about a test drive they talked about all the same points that have been brought up here. They were quite up front about the power and the excessive mileage (no accusations of a joy ride). I did say that I need to get a feel for the car, how it drives and the comfort of the seats and the fact that I had never had a car with this much power so I needed to know if it was too much. They were very accommodating in letting me sit in the Hellcat and then pulling out a scat pack shaker R/T to do the test drive (with the salesman riding in the back, wife was in the front). I felt it was a fair compromise.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I understand your dilemma.......I experienced the same thing when I purchased my Boss mustang. The dealer actually didn't want the vehicle to leave the showroom floor without a sizable deposit. My wife and I were a bit taken back by this.....but they explained that they had a huge number of tire kickers that simply wanted to have bragging rights that they had driven one of these vehicles. I cut them some slack since we had driven a little over an hour....from a rural area....and the dealer didn't know our background. So, we ended up purchasing the car off the showroom.... and as they were putting all the paperwork in order....I went on a test drive.

I will also say.....we purchased our Cat based off of a couple of the dealers photo's and a copy of the window sticker. Didn't even get to sit in my Cat for four weeks after I signed the paperwork ( Took enclosed shipping that long to make it out here.) I, as others have said, had faith that all the reviews and reports from members here were accurate. Can't say that I miss not having had a test drive. There are more smiles to the mile than I can adequately express in words with the HellCat. I think dealers want to protect these cars and protect a small segment of society from messing up themselves.

I had contact with four SRT dealers within my home state. All of them said a test drive would Not be possible. One dealer said that he might have been able to arrange for me to sit in one that had been sold....but that would be it. Not something I've enjoyed with these two vehicles of mine.....certainly not the way I've ever purchased a vehicle before. But....I think until there are more sitting around on dealers lots....they don't want to let them out on test drives.

Best of luck........Hopefully you'll be adding to your smile count soon?:):)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Tightlines

Tightlines Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My dealer said absolutely no test drives and I completely understood that. They offered me a new 392 to test drive and I was fine with that as that is pretty much what it would be with the black key.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sawdust

Sawdust SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it may also be an issue of the dealer concerned about liability of letting any boob behind the wheel with zero high horsepower experience. Pull up in your mini-van and slide a hellcat into a van full of kids on their way to choir practice could open up a slew of lawsuits.
    I figured no test drive when we bought ours, didn't care found what we wanted and already knew what it could do.

On another note had a bit of a hassle from Hagerty on insurance, concerned about what experience I had with high horsepower. Was a Saturday and the under-writer had very little car knowledge didn't even know what a hemi'cuda was.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Doug_38

Doug_38 Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If my cat had been test driven by anyone, I would not have gotten it. Dealers are rightly concerned about putting miles on these cars and the wrong type of miles at that (there is a break in period after all). You can get it in it and feel it on for size, you can hear it, but you gotta drive a lesser model to get the general gist of the car. Also, I think dealers cannot as easily command over MSRP prices on a vehicle that's been "test" driven. In any case, my dealer would not drive it at all - he followed me to a gas station to fill it with the complimentary tank of premium fuel!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed I had never even seen a Charger Hellcat in person and bought mine. You're lucky to even seen one in person. Most in my area never his the showroom floor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. NoCoHC

NoCoHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I was shopping for my Hellcat I went to small town dealer in rural Missouri. They offered me the chance to test drive their only Hellcat. They pulled it out of their showroom and didn't go with me. They also gave me the red key no questions asked, I was really surprised honestly. I babied the car. If their price had been a little better it's probably the car I would have ended up with. They were nicer than I would have been about it. The dealer I bought from let me test drive the car I bought, but the deal was pretty much done at that point other than signing the paperwork. I had made a 500 plus mile trip to pick the car up, so I think they knew I was a serious buyer:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1