Test drove a 2015 Charger SRT 392 today

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by 03MachMe, Feb 18, 2015.

1. 03MachMe

03MachMe Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Got a call from my local dealer that they finally had gotten a new 392 Charger in and to come in for a test drive. My son and I went by after lunch and took the car for a spin. I must say I am very impressed. I was a Ford guy through and through but they are just not offering anything in the way of a performance sedan right now so I started looking into Dodge and Chevy since baby #2 will be here in June. I drive a 5.7 Charger for work from time to time but wanted to see the difference with the 6.4
    Now I told the dealer I am not going to be buying anytime soon as I am in the middle of buying a house but he said not a big deal and treated me right anyways. I know many salesmen would have blown me off because they wouldn't be making a sale soon but I am the kind of person that does a lot of test drives and research before buying a car.
    Now coming from a 13 5.0 Mustang I can say no this car was very similar in acceleration but 100x more comfortable and felt a lot more like a luxury car than just another sedan. The shifts with the 8 speed auto were fast and precise when in sport or track and using the paddles, but were smooth as butter when in Street mode just driving. The ventilated seats were prolly the most amazing thing and a must have for Texas summers. Visually it was just as beautiful as all the pictures I have been staring at for the past few months.

In conclusion, I am sold. I didn't think I would shy away from Ford this easy but this car has won me over. Now just have to wait for the finances to line up and I'll pick one up, or maybe even a Hellcat if I can swing it. Anyways on to the pictures. My son got to go along for the ride but unfortunately slept the whole time lol. I guess that is a good thing, it is comfortable enough for him to sleep even with me "testing" it put. 2015-02-18 22.03.21.jpg 2015-02-18 22.03.59.jpg 2015-02-18 22.04.36.jpg 2015-02-18 22.05.03.jpg 2015-02-18 22.06.34.jpg 2015-02-18 22.07.05.jpg 2015-02-18 22.07.32.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. 440 Superbee

440 Superbee Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So you do realize we are ALL Mopar fans here, but respect other brands of muscle cars as well. Have you considered a Charger Hell Cat so we could really get high off your write up after your experience driving a Hell Baby.

3. 03MachMe

03MachMe Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you find a dealer willing to let me test drive one I will gladly do a write up lol. I have always liked dodge but the Mustangs were just a better fit for what I needed them for when I had them. Now that I have a family and about to have two kids a two door toy only I could enjoy just didn't make sense. I want something the whole family can enjoy and in my opinion the charger is the best option out there right now.

We just got 4 new 2015 5.7 chargers at work and once they are in the fleet I will let you know my option on those as well.

4. 440 Superbee

440 Superbee Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh, and I believe the rims were Hyper Black? I really wish Hyper Black was an option for the Challenger HellCats this year. If they make them late availability, I might be in luck. o_O

5. 03MachMe

03MachMe Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yep Hyper black wheels and Phantom black Tri-Coat pearl exterior. Even being pretty dirty from our recent weather the color and wheels looked amazing. I cant wait to see it clean.

6. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Good hearing a review as I am in the process of stepping away from the kitty fiasco and going the SRT route

7. 03MachMe

03MachMe Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yea sucks to hear the problems people are having actually getting their hellcats. I know I would be pissed if I was getting jerked around about a car im paying $65k+ for. Hope you don't have to do that but if you do you will still not be disappointed. This car is amazing. My best friend ordered a SCAT PACK a couple weeks ago and once he gets it in I'm going to weigh the differences between that and the SRT and if I can't tell much of a difference I will prolly just end up with a SCAT PACK

8. Hattrick

Hattrick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great pic of your boy in the backseat, he looks very content! And your lucky to have some choices in HI-Po four door sedans. I was stuck with an Audi A6 when my two boys were that age. Nice car but major gutless. Funny thing is my sis in law is visiting from Italy next month, she sent a car seat over for her two year old. It has to fit in the back of my wifes 2014 Mustang 5.0. Im not brand loyal by any means, but have you test drove a SHO? Not sure if Fords still making them? Chevy has the SS, Im not a fan of either though.

9. 03MachMe

03MachMe Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The car seat works in a mustang just fine as long as it's not something you have to do all the time. And with one kid it was doable but with #2 on the way it just didn't make sense. I have driven the SHO but I was just not impressed as all. Especially for $50k and only 360hp. Haven't driven the SS but I plan to just to compare. I like the look of the charger a lot more so the SS would really have to impress me to get me to pick it over the Charger and I just don't see that happening with the 70hp disadvantage

10. Hattrick

Hattrick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree, the 2015 Charger looks awesome. I didnt test drive the SS, but checked it out, has a weird Aussie vibe to it. Looks more Cadillac than Chevy inside and plain Jane exterior.

11. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    well I am kind of a mutt

12. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's a very nice looking charger,,I would go charger over SHO any day of the week,, the sound of a V8 , nothing beats it..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  13. PhantomWorks

PhantomWorks Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Drivability wise you should not be able to tell the difference between the SRT and the SCAT PAK? My under standing is the suspension and brakes come off the previous year SRT, but the engine is new.

14. 03MachMe

03MachMe Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes brakes and I believe suspension are from previous SRT. Engine and trans are the same as the SRT 392.

15. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    In the USA there is quite the gap between the Scat and the SRT but in Canada it is only about 3k difference after you option out the scat pack so it's a no brainer. And from having the adaptive suspension now, I can't see myself living without it.

6 pistons brembos are nice but not a must, the 4 pistons are fine.
    9.5 wheels are nice but again not a must unless you want real big shoes