Texas Mile Full Report (10/15)

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by VanishingPoint, Oct 24, 2015.

1. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    October 23, 2015 (Part 1)

The Texas Mile was nothing short of a disaster for me: driving there in sideways rain to get there, no "crew," a screw in the tire, and a host of other little things that went wrong. Well, I was not the only one-there were many others who struggled the rigors of cross country travel from all points of our great nation.

The competition; or "Second Place", as I quaintly referred to them…
    [​IMG]

The weather was atrocious, causing several track shutdowns that lasted hours. However, the Texas Mile folks made a decision several days in advance when they realized the weather would be a huge issue. They showed their commitment to the racers who paid the sum of money and traveled such distances. This included running late into the night (first time ever), renting two jet engine blower trucks (to clear the 1.5 mile track and runoff of water and dry the track), industrial flood lights, and 100's of glow sticks to direct the fastmovers along the lines of cones safely back to the staging area. Well done!

I arrived at 6:55 AM, and set about to finding all of the places I needed to be.

I had to register (after the rain ceased), pass the vehicle tech inspection & safety equipment check, go to a drivers meeting to learn the rules and policies of the Texas Mile, and then get into line to qualify to get my license upgrade (one controlled 1 mile pass faster than 140 mph, and slower than 165 mph).

After more rain, lunch, and more waiting I did finally qualify at 5:04 PM, and got back into line-and waited again. Another light shower that was gone as quick as it started-and within minutes, if not seconds, we were at it again.

I finally did get one solid WOT pass at 7:51 PM (see video) on a 100% humidity track (see picture below) and wet from A/C condensers spewing water (keeping the windshields clear from the humidity).

The CAR:

[​IMG]

2015 Dodge Hellcat (all options), 3350 miles on it, ¾ full fuel tank of 50/50 VP MS 109 and Exxon 93, and 275 pounds of driver, safety gear, camera, mounting equipment, batteries, water, etc. (in other words the car was not stripped). Vehicle run in full daily driver condition (not the numbers though lol).

[​IMG]

Lowered 1.25 of an inch, carbon fiber driveshaft, and dual oil catch cans are the only modifications.

[​IMG]

Tires are from factory Pirelli summer tires at 35 PSI; Vehicle settings were suspension “Street,” TC “Sport,” and trans in “Track.” Runs are started in 2nd gear, and then returned to automatic shifting; the factory air filter was also in place, and no aerodynamic aids were added or removed from the vehicle (no tape, no ice on supercharger like the Z06 guys lol).

[​IMG]

The CONDITIONS:

Winds were full value 10-15 miles per hour and 100% humidity-not goo for top speeds nor power.

[​IMG]

The RUN.
    I bobbled the launch (watch the nose dip) and then proceed to spin the tires from 2nd well into 3rd gear before the car plants power (you can hear them stop squealing at about the 16 second mark).

http://vid1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag2/VanishingPoint71/IMG_0482_zpsrm8fyddw.mp4

The end result was 149.6 mph at the 1/2 mile mark, and then 173.4 for the mile. I believe I was the fastest Hellcat there by several miles per hour (there were four others), the fastest Challenger there (the only other non HC Challenger 392 was supercharged) and I bested a Z06 and a ZL1 Camaro by a very wide margin. There were too many Mustangs, Corvettes, and CTS Caddies in various states of mods to keep track of, so I honestly don't know where I fell in with most of them.

I was told by the husband & wife (he drove the red M6 and she drove A8 Green) that her best Texas Mile run was 176mph 6 months ago, and for the conditions she was roughly 6 mph off her best. And, that the Hellcats were faster than his manual Z06 with the Z06 package.

Red M6
    http://vid1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag2/VanishingPoint71/redcat 2_zpscm8zgiss.mp4
    Green A8
    http://vid1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag2/VanishingPoint71/greencat 3_zpsd02smkth.mp4

I will update this thread tomorrow, hopefully with more pics and vids, and my breaking the 177+ mph mark :D

UPDATE 10/25/2015 182.2 MPH and GO PRO VIDs HERE:

Go-Pro Videos, Texas Mile Oct 2015 | SRT Hellcat Forum

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good luck to you. Why would you set TC to sport? That is the setting I use to do burnouts. Try it with traction control on street. Idea is to get rolling as quick as possible?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great stuff! It looks like texasmile.net has them recorded as the first two Hellcats to run last season.

"The 2015 green automatic Hellcat driven by Kathy Johnston went 174.8MPH while the 2015 red standard Hellcat driven by Darrell Johnston went 172.4MPH. We like a healthy family rivalry!"

• Like Like x 1
  4. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sport setting is the way to go-it lests you spin but fights to keep you straight (which works as evidenced from my run-car's end kicked maybe a few inches out of line and she tracked straight unlike when the TC is set to off-so I have read and experienced. I always thought street is trying to prevent you from crashing, and probably reduces power with braking. Still I never tried it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nocarbutmopar

nocarbutmopar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    how often do they do this event?
    I have heard of the similar event in Ely Nevada

6. rayzazoo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Biannually. One in the Fall and one in the Spring.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Look for team Shake & Bake, great people, Chuck,Lisa, Sam , Karl, Kenny and a few I missed, all running challengers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Dude always would go down he had one of the first cat delivered. Think he was a part of shake and bake

9. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A lot of people who had to travel bailed out. That picture makes it seem like there was a lot of contestants, but I would surmise there was only 1/2-3/4s of who usually shows up here. Again, I only saw only one Challenger running (with roll cage) from Florida (and their trailer suffered multiple blowouts too), and that was the gray supercharged 392 next to me making roughly 670 something to the rear wheels, and he could not crack the more than 165 +/-.

I do not know if S&B will be there today, but it would be nice to meet them.

As of 3:45 AM this morning, it is raining. I expect--err...hope it clears up. I am going to run a 25% mix of MS109 today as opposed to a 50/50 mix. Weather conditions appear "optimal" with a huge partial tailwind, "low" humidity (under 80%), and temps between 65-70.

If I can hit 179-180 mph today it may be some type of record?
    Anyone track these things?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good luck Vanishing Point.

11. Fast cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We need to start. Maybe the hellcat car club can keep track. Are they passing out time slips ?
    Good luck today!

12. Fast cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    chuck would the car club be able to keep track of the record 1/8,1/4,1/2,and mile runs for stock and modified. If so that would be great.

13. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes; you get a Texas Mile business card with time, date,etc.

They do not give 1/4 mile times though; I wish they did as a good benchmark.

• Like Like x 1
  14. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well done! Let us know how today goes.

15. rayzazoo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As an estimate, use the SRT performances pages.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1