The 691 Horsepower Tesla Model S P85D Does 0-60 In 3.2 Seconds

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carnage, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not really a fan of Tesla but thought it would be interesting to share. It does almost 1G force from 0 to 60 in 3.2s that means our hellcats do the same G Force.

Source Jalopnik: The 691 Horsepower ​Tesla Model S P85D Does 0-60 In 3.2 Seconds

The 691 Horsepower Tesla Model S P85D Does 0-60 In 3.2 Seconds
    [​IMG]

Elon Musk concedes that "the Internet is very good at figuring out secrets." So yes, the D in the Tesla Model S P85D stands for "dual" motor. Yes, it's the same system coming to the all-wheel-drive Model X. But here's what we didn't expect: 687 lb-ft of torque and a 0-60 MPH run of 3.2 seconds – a full second quicker than the standard P85.

Oh, and 1g of lateral acceleration. In other words, it's obscenely fast.

Before I get into what it's like to be in one, here's the breakdown on what's been done and what's on offer.

The top-spec Model S, the P85D, comes in at $120k (with both the performance and tech packs required). That gets you two motors: the same biggie-sized one out pack in the standard P85, and then a smaller motor fitted up front. That new motor packs an additional 221 hp into the S, with the rear motor dolling out 470 HP, for a combined 691 HP. Plus a quarter mile time of 11.8 seconds (down from 12.6).

[​IMG]

That new motor, along with some associated electronics, puts the curb weight up by 291 pounds for a total of 4,936 pounds. Yes, that's heavy, but it also balances out the weight distribution to an even 50:50, allows 1 g of max acceleration (what other sedan is capable of that?), and the range penalty is 10 miles (275 v. 285). But that's on the top spec model. In the lesser specs it actually increases range.

The 85D (non-S) and 60D makes do with a combined 376 hp and 362 lb-ft. But in both cases, they get a 10 mile bump in range (295 and 225, respectively). And the reasons are simple.

[​IMG]

First, two motors means you've got one more motor for regen, sending additional power back into the battery pack for more range. Secondly, by optimizing the usage of each motor down to the millisecond depending on the traction available, Tesla's geeks have been able to tweak the software to use the right motor at the right time at the right speed, all to boost efficiency and performance.

Both cars also don't suffer the same weight penalty since they're each using the smaller motors, so overall tonnage is only up by 176 pounds, and 0-60 times have dropped by 0.2 seconds. To add the extra motor to each car brings the price up by $4,000.

Tesla is taking orders on all the D models tonight, with deliveries of the P85D happening before the end of the year and the standard 85 and 60 models coming in February.

[​IMG]

Tesla is still working on calibration, but I got a brief, spirited run in the back seat, and the results are – and kinda I hate admitting this – scary.

Acceleration runs don't freak me out. I've been in cars with over 1,000 hp manned by a competent driver, and I'm able to keep my cool. But something is different in the P85D. When the driver slams on the accelerator, my mind knows we're OK, but my body – for just a few tenths of a second – got freaked out. Maybe it was the torque or the blackened tunnel that we shot into, but there was the briefest moment of panic, which subsided as the twist of the motors started bleeding off.

It's like nothing else I've ever experienced, and that includes a run in the electrically-augmented Porsche 918.

I caught Musk talking to another reporter before going for a ride, and he mentioned driving modes. Currently, there's Normal and Sport. But Musk wants to add another designation: Insane. "I'm serious," Musk says. I don't think he's overstating things.

2. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was at a Mariners game about a month ago and walked past the Tesla dealership. I gotta say, those cars are pretty awesome!!! But totally outta my price range and I don't run across a whole lot of them in my neck of the woods, thank god!! I would probably do something stupid like try to hole shot it or something...o_OTammie gets butt handed to her by an electric car....sad:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well I like combustion engines, not sure about Tesla even if they are paving the way for future electric cars. Now maybe if in a few years Dodge decides to electrify their engine motors with high HP numbers that's a different story.

4. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am with you on that one!!! Fake a$$ exhaust sound...Nothing beats the sound of a Hellcat beast when the supercharger kicks in and the RPMs are up!!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Heck jeah lol that's BEASTMODE

6. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Got that TShirt too!!! Hellcats are total BeastMode!!;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You sure are prepared lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Marshawn and Sherman are my favs!! Gotta represent and support the boys! Sorry non-Seattle football fans. No additional reference to football for me.o_O Anyone gonna waste their hard earned money on this overpriced Tesla generator??? LOL:)

9. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Haha I see well I am never wasting hard earned money on the Tesla

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I actually considered one for a while. If you've ever test driven one, you'd know why I'd consider one. Those cars drive like nothing else I've ever riden in. The Hellcat cane out however just in time to keep me with Dodge. That, and that I can get one for 40k less than a Tesla was an easier sell to the wife! I'd like to ride in one of their top end AWD vehicles though just to experience it. There is nothing however, that can replace the engine found and feel though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I totally agree. My fiancé is a huge factor in the decision making process as well as the MSRP.

12. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Absolutely!! I am in the Not Even Considered budget, but Kudos to you who is in the other court and still chose Dodge!!! Good taste;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Enjoyed the post HDC. Truly a remarkable vehicle. Thought it appropriate to share in this thread. Time below from a run last Friday near the house in my SRT8 Core 392/6 speed/392 rear end. Total cost with TTL....$44,450. It's all about leaving without spinning the rear tires. I suspect the new Hellcat's will perform better in the 0-60 with the 500 hp key fob. Maybe even the 1/8 of a mile. HP rules the 1/4 mile!

photo (3).JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's zero to sixty??

15. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, Can consistently get in the 3.40's. This is my best time to date. I'm sure the 3.92 rear gear ration helps.