The driveshaft - explain something to me like I'm a five year old

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Ty Webb, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Something that's been bugging me for a little while now, and increasingly so as we get closer to track season, is this driveshaft failure nonsense that we have to put up with.

Most people on this forum put a good amount down on a car that Dodge went out of its way to work with the NHRA to certify as a legitimate 10 second 1/4 mile car. 11.2 on streets / 10.8 on drag radials. Marketing for sure, but completely disingenuous as there seems to be such an obvious failure that they refuse to address - the driveshaft. An easy response is that they're simply claiming that it can run a 10.x but not guaranteeing how many times before breaking... But haven't we seen some people posting broken driveshafts on their first runs with radials? Is this a real issue or a select few cars? Anecdotal or is someone collecting real numbers on the failures? If it's a real issue, why are we just rolling over...

One of the main reasons I bought the car is because I'm too busy to modify something right now. I wanted 4 doors, fast, and a warranty. Got all that. And I love the beast, absolutely puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. But Dodge's solution to throw on completely undersized rear tires so the car still spins at 50mph and lessens the strain on the driveshaft doesn't seem reasonable.

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing? And does anyone know if Dodge considers it a warranty-voiding-offense if I swap drag radials on the rear in order to control the car and the ds breaks? I don't consider tires to be a mod, but maybe they do...

Help. Like I'm 5.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had slicks on mine with the stock shaft both on my m6 and a8 and didn't have problems. I think mostly because the slicks are nice and soft and wrinkle which takes away a lot of the drive line shock that twists these shafts. I am going to a drag radial this coming season so i did buy the 1 piece for that reason. Also i think dodge couldn't say much if you were using a DR that is dot approved.

3. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the response big. :thumbup:

...I guess I also don't want to have the idea of the ds breaking in the back of my head any time I try to launch. Seems like something we shouldn't have to upgrade on a stock car. :confused:

Edit: and best of luck this season!

4. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah its kinda ridiculous that the DS is so damn small. Its literally about the size of a thumb. Another memeber posted pics of that. The reason dodge went with a 2 piece is that it's easier to balance and is smoother at terminal velocity (top speed) they wanted a 200 mph car that was safe and smooth. Thats why they went with a 2 piece...but this thing is a muscle car and their big shtick was 10.8 qt mile.... well give us a car that won't break doing that. I was nervouse launching it at the track but figured F it....if it breaks its warrantied. Luckily my track is literally 15 mins from home and the dealership

5. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So people are worried about the warranty if they run drag radials and the drive shaft fails?

So some have replaced the OEM drive shaft with a 1 piece aftermarket drive shaft.

Wouldn't this void any warranty on any other driveline parts that may fail like the transmission or half shafts?

• Like Like x 1
  6. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I emailed my service manager and he confirmed that DRs would create a warranty issue for the DS and also that changing the DS voids the warranty. However he pointed out that the change makes sense as you are avoiding potentially costly damage. And that just because you make the change, the entire warranty isn't void. He gave the example of a broken window motor being unrelated.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Haha. That's nuts. So a tire that actually puts the marketed power to the ground would result in a warranty issue.

I can understand the second part being true -- you're not replacing a traditional 'wear and tear' item so from a dealer's perspective it's a pretty simple counter-claim. Even though what you're doing is more akin preventative maintenance, no one is used to that with driveshafts... ugh, I feel like if I take this further I'd be trapped in circular logic. :confused::eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    heres what he wrote;
    Technically speaking, putting excessive wear on the car or abusing it, can void your warranty. If you were to put drag radials on the challenger and the drive shaft twists, most likely it will not be a warranty item. If you decide to change to an aluminum shaft or another upgrades shaft, basically your risk of causing any other damage is less. Therefore we hope you wont need to come in for any type of repairs. Also warranty looks for items directly related. If you have an aluminum drive shaft and your window motor goes, obviously its unrelated and we cannot void the warranty.

9. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My follow up thought was change the tires before towing it in. But they may not believe you did that damage on street tires. With gray issues it's always a fight. Seems to me there's a risk if you leave the stock DS. If you change it, you eliminate the risk. The better question is whether you would be covered for engine or transmission damage because you changed the DS.

10. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I give him credit for putting his thoughts in an email, but it's concerning that he begins with this statement. Is it the official position of FCA that drivers interested in using the full power of the car are placing 'excessive wear' or 'abuse' on the car?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I asked Ralph Gilles about the driveshaft last year and this was his reply:

There are lot of people do some very aggressive things trying to beat 10.8s etc. axel hop is the enemy and that would break any drive shaft
    It is all about launch style our engineers haven't broken any in 3 yrs. if it is on Drag radials likely would not be covered. On street yes
    I don't control that side of the business but I know warranty is a case by case basis: the drive shaft is a fuse in a way. Easy to replace

Then I asked why do they advertise the times with DRS and wouldn't that mean Dodge is endorsing the use of them on the cars and he said:

If they specified a brand that would be an interesting discussion...but they just showing the potential. Charger can go 204mph but we don't

Take it for what you will...

12. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Relationship with dealer is EVERYTHING!

My dealer said DS replacement is not an issue for warranty.

Remember, the dealer is your PRIMARY line of defense when it comes to a warranty. Now clean your room and do your homework!

Robert

• Like Like x 1
  13. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thats why im swapping shafts now before i break the stock 2 piece. Ill keep it around and if i have any issues down the road...put it back in. Also keep the oem tires on the car and have a dedicated different rim and tire for track use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Nitewing; His responses to you are laughable. He's basically playing the physical incarnation of Lionel Hutz. 'I'm not a lawyer, but I'll play one for the sake of this discussion...' He has awesome engineers, the best engineers, they know words, they know the best words, and they don't break anything. Ever.

:eek:

15. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I understand why you're doing it. But that doesn't mean it's reasonable for you to have to do it in order to drive in a straight line for 1/4 mile.

Here's an amp, it goes to 11, don't take it to 11.

• Funny Funny x 1