The End is Near!!! Good-bye beloved American Muscle.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Hayabusa, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There's a lot of speculation about our beloved Hemi V8's going away in a very short time. If you want an education in American Muscle read the attached. It is a bit long but a great read. To hit a specific years just "next" button as the pages are arranged from 1960 through early seventies. Hope you enjoy (nostalgia for us old guys and education for the youngbloods).

American Muscle Cars of 1960

We have truly lived in the New Age of American Muscle. History does repeat itself and all indicators are blazingly clear. I will make sure I have at least one wicked beast in my garage when it happens.

Oh, by the way...

[​IMG]

If you have the intestinal fortitude, here is the future...(warning, it is hard to watch!)

When we get desperate and Mod then we might get...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We have all heard about the impending end of the IC Engine and that the future is Electric, think hard about that one, imagine the infrastructure needed to deliver a 10 minute full charge on a Tesla (each 10 minutes charge would the equivalent of maybe 500 houses worth of electricity for that 10 minutes) that's why it will be many decades before a 10 minute charge is available and the cost of a fill up of electrons (positron) will be the same as a tank office gas

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man, electric is the least of our worries! It's the puny knob 1.6 liter Silent Shaft MCA Jet engine (read the first ad below)...Hear me...the little engines that could...they'll sell them as "fun", "0-50" times, "peppy", great mileage...purnrg, ya gotta help me...you gotta tell them...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I feel like Charlton Heston in this clip...You gotta tell 'em Purnrg, musclecars are dying, Hemi's dying...tell everybody...we've gotta stop 'em...somehow!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. cereal killer

cereal killer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gas prices are going to drop to $2.00/gallon (maybe lower) and stay there. Big nasty V8's are here to stay for a while..........

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If history is to repeat itself, wouldn't that mean that the muscle car era will be back again just like it did now....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ...in 30-35 years! How old will you be? Unfortunately, I won't make it to the next round. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope y'all know I'm messin' around here :D

The real reason I posted this was to share this link and the great info presented. Since there haven't been comments about it I'm hoping folks actually opened it. Good stuff there!

American Muscle Cars of 1960

American Muscle Cars of 1968

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'll be 65ish lol... Still enough gas in the tank for the next round lol

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL, 1979 Challenger. I remember that POS. I was 14 and already seen the movie Vanishing Point and had friends with Road Runners, SS Chevelles, SS Novas and even a green AMC Rebel Machine 390 with a stick. I was like, WTF? Who put a Challenger emblem on that POS.
    Silent shaft MCA jet engine. I did not know it had one of those.o_Oo_O Marketing at it's finest.

L J

10. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I remember all of those. My 85 Daytona turbo z was fast in it's day with a 2.2 Turbo motor. Even had the v8 gremlin!

• Like Like x 1
  11. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My mom had the one in the middle, Challengerr. I drove the pi$$ out of that thing. Front wheel drive, stick shift, worked great in the snow and was fun for a teenager. Still a total cheap POS.

I read today that the hemi's, 6.2 and 6.4 were going away in 2019 to be replaced by twin turbo 4 cylinders and twin turbo 6 cylinders. We all know the GT-R makes big horsepower and I'm sure many of you have seen video's of a 1000+ horsepower Supra from the 90's. But it's not the same, the sound. This article ended saying (paraphrasing) "we've all heard a twin turbo 6 cylinder that sounds good (like the GT-R), but it's not the same. The 6.2L supercharged engine in the Hellcat sounds like God is ANGRY...VERY ANGRY.

I have to agree. Owning a hot rod is not about a single sense, it's an experience of all of your senses. The sound, smell, feel, sight, etc. ( don't really taste/lick my hotrods, but I'm not shutting out that possibility if I ever finally get mine....but I have owned a long line of hotrods.....I guess you can taste burn't rubber and nitro).

Anyway, was sad to read that article. But it will just make these cars worth more and more....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's change we all detest. In 1974, there was a European 4 cal making ove 1,000 horsepower from 1.6 liters. About 100 cubic inches. Different sound, different power delivery, just as fast. Remembering all of the cars without powerful computers to control them is not a good comparison. Look back to a Gen II 426 versus a Gen III 6.4. No comparison. Now you get an engine slightly smaller with cruise, a/c, great warranty, and over 20 mpg on what is sold as premium gasoline. The future will be just as improved with gas/electric hybrids (BMW i8 as an example, of the Ferrari hybrid). These generate the technologies we and our descendants will enjoy. Our cars sound awesome, but nothing replaces the first time you heard a 1968 Hemi Barracuda fire up and make a 11.5 second pass......

13. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think the big V-8 engine will go away in years to come,, turbos are in everything..Cafe standards are tough to meet, so they have to sell like 100 darts for every hellcat.. Im happy with my loud, big, fast hellcat... you wont get that car from me... I told my wife that I want to be buried with it.. she laughed,, and said I will sell it and take a trip..... Not sure she likes me very much:(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hopefully mak'in it to the can before I mess the bed... Wonder what the f@ck I'll be b!tchin about?... At 96, I figure it will be a skydiving accident....

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My hellcat is going to my 14 year old son........Or I take it to the grave with me...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1