The GAS GUZZLER TAX is wrong and a big rip off to all Hellcat owners

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by ChargerChallenger, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    i personally feel FCA must go to the EPA and demand a REFUND for all Hellcats sold!!!! How FCA got conned into the GAS GUZZLER TAX is beyond me. I own both Hellcats (Charger, Challenger) and they get a minimum of 18 MPG to 20 MPG. And this is combined heavy traffic and highway. And for the record if you are in the real world this is not from the recommended driving limit. The Washington DC metro area and beltway is a very fast paced area. The average speed in this area is probably more like 70 plus. If each and every Hellcat owner drove his vehicle to the new AUTONOMOUS car scenario.obeying every posted road sign......etc (and I don't know about u but yikes...riding as a passenger how stupid r we getting). Anyways the fuel mileage would even be better. This is such an obvious insult to all Hellcat owners who have been rippied off. And I would be willing to venture the EPA personnel assigned to do the road testing drove the HELLCAT in not such a real world manner. I used this picture in another posting and feel this is probably more suitable to this as well.
    image.jpeg
    EPA TESTING FOR GAS GUZZLER TAX

And to add insult to injury all these so called gas savers beater cars don't ever get the so called posted MPG. At least that's been my experience. And if u go to the Tesla web site (which I believe they removed this) u can put the Tesla into real world driving. When u adjust the outside tempature, A/C vs Heat, passengers, gear and speed the projected ELECTRIC distance drops dramatically. So you really have to wonder who was driving these so called gas savers and Electric vehicles for there posted MPG. And here is a picture of the EPA PERSONELL assigned to those vehicle tests.
    image.jpeg
    In summing it up I think all Hellcat owners must (which I know this will be extremely painful) drive your car obeying to the utmost perfection (AUTONOMOUS like) posted road signs and manners. And after one tank of fuel burned report to EPA head command center true HELLCAT MPG!!! This is extremely important to do and if you are a TRUE HELLCAT loving, caring, passionate MOPAR forever believer you have to do this to show our Country how we the innocent highest, most powerful production car owners have been screwed. For all who have read this thank you for reading this lengthy post!!!!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm happy that FCA produced a 707hp beast that was able to comply with EPA regulations. I remember a time when the thought of a car like this was not ever going to happen and we were reduced to 200hp (or less) sports cars. That said, the Hellcat gets GOOD gas mileage but in the mid size passenger car class, it's woefully short of the average of 25 city 35 highway mpg (non hybrid). It's a gas guzzler capable of sucking a full tank of gas in 13 minutes (not realistic, but still is boasted about). I'll gladly pay the tax if they continue to allow these cars to be built. My carbon footprint is awful. Good luck with your quest :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i agree, what a rip off!! mine gets better mileage then every car ive ever owned except one.. even better then my 4cyl 5sp jeep

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I take my 2011 Honda CRV to the train everyday. It gets about 15 mpg. Totally agree the Hellcat which I only use for fun is getting around 14 for the first 850 miles. Had similar thoughts to the OP. What a rip.

5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with you 100%. The automatic tax is even higher in NY. So if I chose the A8 there is a upgrade for auto and tax is higher making it almost 5,000 higher. That is waste

6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep, seems like it is a rip. Always thought so. Even my '06 SRT when the EPA tax first started got 18-19 around town with some freeway driving, More than the sticker said it would. The tax was BS then. Now still have a heavy car, twice the power gets better mileage and still am ripped. Does anyone know the exact rules and MPG limits attached to the law that authorizes the Goverment to collect the fee/tax? To read that we are worse, or we don't do that or that car is so much better, BS, what does the black and white print say? Must be in the EPA regs, I hate looking at government regs, hopefully someone can. If we have been put in the wrong bucket, I will participate in a form letter writing inquiry to the EPA and challenge it with everyone.

7. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I guess it is easy to find. Looks like we are barely under the bus. Oh, and our efficient government only has docs for up to model year 2013 posted. But here is the first page. Seems 22.5 combined is the cutoff.

Gas Guzzler Tax and Vehicles | Fuel Economy | US EPA

8. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The SRT's have no gas tax which if your posting is accurate all the SRT's will have to pay the gas guzzler tax and FCA will be on the radar screen like VOLSWAGEN ooh no don't compare us to a VOLKSWAGEN since they FUDGED the books. And FCA has not collected the money for the SRT's. And my 2015 Corvette Stingray gets better mileage than most FRICKING mid size sedans and beater gas miser cars:D. I can get 33 plus mpg on highway and average 25 with hard driving. And she's an 8 speed auto.
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. 2mopars

2mopars Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My bicycle gets better mpg than my hellcat, not as fun though and a little exhausting.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. charger440rt

charger440rt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Heres my real word experience of 2 very different cars driven exactly the same for daily commuting.

1.8L Chevy Sonic manual = 24 mpg ... (car was as light as could be and did not even have power windows). You can't even really call this a car for 'adults'.

VS ........ Hemi Challenger RT m6 = 18 mpg

These 2 extremes produced a 6 mpg difference. That tells me that the typical medium size boring cars 'most people drive" don't get significantly better gas mileage in the real world than my RT daily driver.

The math: 10k miles a year @ $2.50 a gallon
    Sonic = $1042 ..VS.. Hemi M6 = $1389 .... Yep ... $347 difference

Web Pic for reference as to how small a Sonic is.
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know what testing they did but in my Charger HC I get 23+ on the highway and around 17+ combined as my daily driver.

This beats the last two of my wife's vehicle...an Acura RDX (4 cyl) and Lexus RX350 (6 cyl)

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    mmmmmm beltway driving.. if you are not tailgating you are not driving.. it is a past time up there for sure.. you are right about that 70mph..
    i sometimes drive like a mad man down here and i can put my car right up someone's rear end with no problems (talking inches here not feet) and people ask me what is wrong with me? i tell them: i am from northern Virginia o_O

13. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the gas guzzler tax seems unfair because it does get good gas mileage IMHO..

also: i hear from someone that in 2019 all big blocks are going the way of the Dodo bird.. can anyone confirm this?

14. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    first ive heard of this

15. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    (b)(1) For passenger automobiles sold after December 31, 1990, with a combined FTP/HFET-based model type fuel economy value of less than 22.5 mpg (as determined in §600.208), calculated in accordance with paragraph (a)(2) of this section and rounded to the nearest 0.1 mpg, each vehicle fuel economy label shall include a Gas Guzzler Tax...

There's more than MPG in the factor to have a gas guzzler tax.
    https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title40-vol31/pdf/CFR-2012-title40-vol31-part600-subpartF.pdf

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1