The Hellcat Conundrum

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Fatbeachbum, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Fatbeachbum

Fatbeachbum Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey hellcatters.
    I got my car out yesterday. It's a 2016 HC Challenger with 650 miles. She's redline red with black interior and black wheels and is a bad. nasty looking hotrod. It'd been 10 or 12 days since I'd last had her out. I absolutely love to drive this car.

As you all know, you can't stop and get gas, or coffee, or anything else, without becoming the center of attention. In addition, my particular generic strain requires that this car be kept clean.

Therein lies the problem. After twenty or so miles, brake dust is all over the wheels and lower portion of the door panels. So, time to clean. In my old age (65 and retired), the cleaning process has become somewhat painful. If I do the entire car in one afternoon, I can barely get out of bed the next day. So, I tend to make the one day cleaning process into a three or four day cleaning process. This adjustment allows my "one foot in the grave" body additional time to recuperate. This solves one problem, but, now it's been several days since I've stretched her out. Problem number two. I need to drive this car.

After driving, I spend three or four days recuperating. Time to drive. Time to heal.

Not a bad way to go, huh?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, overall, not a bad problem to have, although an admitted pain in the in the arse. The easiest way to deal with that God-awful brake dust is to replace those factory brake pads with ceramic pads. Makes a big, huge, gigantic, colossal difference! Your body and your OCD will thank you. Well worth the money I spent on Dante, for certain, and I already have a set waiting put on Jimi when he arrives. Here is a link to the pads I use: High performance brake pads LOW DUST

April

And another link to upgraded brake pads: Brake Pad Part # confirm

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Consider a California Duster. I use it on my Sublime Cat (which shows everything) and then follow with a quick spray of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol and wipe dry with microfiber towel. No scratches or swirls! My car has never been through a car wash or hose washed at home. The whole clean up takes less than 10 minutes. (The spray works well for removing bugs and tar as well!)

4. SublimeHellcat

SublimeHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    by a power washer...a few years younger....just as OCD....when the wheels are cool spray on some wheel cleaner made for black rims...power wash...dry and drive. Just don't get the power washer stream too close to the paint. The one I have has different quick connect spray nozzles. Dirt comes off saves me a lot of pain....

5. hemiplymouth

hemiplymouth Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Alcohol and distilled water at what ratio? Use on wheels only or whole car?

6. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree with April. Put the Z23's on my monkeys last year after having the car for a short time. There was a great thread with step-by-step directions/photos from last year. What a difference these pads make!
    Ordered them and 20 locking black Gorilla's at the same time from Speedlogix. Great service and quick delivery.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Brake dust sure is annoying. Much worse on fronts than rears. Gets the car cover dirty if you put it on without cleaning wheels first. Might try the Cal Duster but would have to have a dedicated one just for wheels as it will get filthy. April, good link on the ceramics. I will have to look into them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like some confusion on which is better. Z23 or Z26?

9. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Feel your pain Fatbeachbum! Ahh the pains we go to for our loved ones and toys. April's suggestion is great and one I need to exercise myself. I would also recommend a spray on wax by Griot's after you wash your wheels next time. In between washing your Hellcat, just take your hose to the wheels and the brake dust and grime comes off with just a little water spray.

It doesn't take long for the front wheels to dirty up......almost turn into Brass Monkey wheels in the right light.

• Like Like x 1
  10. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got a miniature CA duster. Triangle shaped works great for getting in to nooks. Give it a quick dusting after every drive and dust won't build up. When I want to clean them I use Chemical Guys spray detailer. No residue and clear coat friendly. My rule of thumb is that I don't use anything on my wheels that I wouldn't use on my paint.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2 parts isopropyl alcohol, 5 parts distilled water. Can use on whole car but better products for wheels exist. Look for something that has a degreasing property to it for wheels. There's a purple colored spray cleaner I get from the Dollar Store (Purple Power - also available at Auto Zone) that I really like that's best for wheels.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Same, same. both Z23 and Z26 have same pad material, only difference is the pad backing plate. Z26 has aluminum backing plate to aid heat transfer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tool man, thanks for that.

14. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Alcohol removes the wax from paint. Ok for wheels but I would not use on body.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry, I disagree. I have been using this mix ever since I picked up my 2001 Viper at CAAP. It was recommended by the car groom who took care of all of the cars in the indoor storage facility. I have also discussed this with many veteran vintage car owners at various shows and detailers who use the same mix. It removes bugs, tar and grime but not wax when used in the dilution I specified.

• Useful Useful x 1