The Hellcat should be faster?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Markp, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok I have read many threads on this forum on mods and 1/4 mile times. I have read threads on tuning, pulley's 3.09 rear gears, driveshafts, drag radials etc etc.

We know that the car should be a 10.8 car on drag radials.

We know stock that a good time that should be achievable with practice good weather and track prep is between 10.62-10.9

So as a baseline lets say these cars are capable of 10.8-10.9 on DR's.

Adding a Aluminum or Carbon fiber driveshaft should knock off 1 tenth. = 10.7-10.8

Adding 3.09 rear gear should be good for at least 2 tenths = 10.5-10.6

Adding pulley and tune lets say 90hp to the rear wheels increase should be good for 2-4 tenths. So lets say 3 tenths on average=10.2-10.3

So if we can agree that these estimates are within reason then it should be reasonable that with good conditions on a good track that 9s are very possible and we should be seeing many with these setups running 9.90s.

Stella ran 10.62 stock on DR's. Yes he probably had good weather good track prep and is most likely a really good driver. He also ran a 9.90 with the setup similar to the one I described above.

From this point we have cars making 900 and are only a few tenths faster. We know about the torque management issue but that is for the few making north of 900.

So I my question is why are we not seeing faster stock hellcats then 10.7?

Also I would have thought that DR's, DSS and 3.09s should be breaking 10.5s all day?

So is this a difference between drivers capability or the Hellcat's themselves? Or both?

I have not taken the Hellcat to the track yet even though I have my DR's in the garage waiting to go on. I only have 500 miles but I will be at the track soon and I made a promise to myself that if I cannot break 10.8s with DR's and a driveshaft then I don't deserve a pulley and tune. Maybe I am asking too much I don't know but will see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will add that the 10.62 run was done in almost ideal conditions... -180 DA, but the sun had the track surface nice and warm, even on a 50* day... I am also very meticulous between every pass I make, and I keep things consistent... if I make a change in something, it is only 1 small change, and I see which way the car is going and adjust from there..

I think the reason we don't see some quicker stock cars is because the weather everywhere right now isn't conducive to record times.. also, I noticed a lot of guys literally hot lap their cars... I've heard of people making 20+ runs on a single track day!! Myself, I make 2, sometimes 3 passes an outing... I also document conditions each pass...tire pressure, DA, what rpm I held it at launch, etc.... over the top? Maybe so... but it was the difference in me running 10.6xs and other Hellcats running 10.7x-8xs on the same day....

Shoot me a PM sometime... Ill be more than happy to share some of the finer details that worked for me...

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Simple...summarizing what stell said....track conditions and driver...

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. ShadeOfBlack

ShadeOfBlack Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    We are also hauling close to 5000 lbs down the 1320.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    just wait till you get on the track and see what real world times are. you will be disappointed unless you are a pro driver with ideal conditions..
    my predicition: you will be in the 11s-12s ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't worry about it,
    come out to the road course and play.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 555ss

555ss Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My car scaled 4602 with me in it 5/8 tank of fuel DEAD stock p zero nero's marginal prep crap air +1210 DA
    and it went 11.2 at 124.5 with a 1.856 60ft ( 1000 rpm roll in soft, full at the 1-2 shift) what more could you want???? put DRs on it with better air and 10.7 is
    not out of the question!!!!!!! these cars are TOO COOL and I am a Chevy guy.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In stock EVERYTHING it is ready to road course and deliver great grins!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 555ss

555ss Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My '11 M6 SRT8 was fun on the road course I cannot wait to try the A8 Hellcat it is either going to Thompson in a few weeks or to the Glen in September for a few fun laps!!! That is if it fits into the trailer!!! If not it will go to NHMS in The fall
    The stock SRT8 ran right with (+.5 seconds) my '01 C5 coupe that was stock but had R6's and aftermarket pads, at NHMS.
    I know the Hellcat can't hang with my '02 C5Z w/ full aero, AP brakes, prepped suspension and 315 hoosier A7's but the Hp thru the esses and the back straight at the Glen should be too much fun

10. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All good points and good questions.

Let's say you take the same driver and have him do X-amount of runs in a HC mod-ed out with one-pc DSS, DRs, 3.09s, and a pulley, and then have him do the same number of timed runs in a purely stock HC - if the resulting times of the mod-ed Cat average out to be only marginally better than the stock HC, you have to ask yourself whether all these standard mods are worth it?

And that's purposely mod-ing the car for track performance.

95%+ of my interest is in max-ing out the car's performance capabilities for high-speed road/street/highway use. So any mods I'd do would be driven by that interest ...

That still might include the one-pc DS and 3.09 gear mods, since there's zero downside to a more durable DS and, based on user posts here, the OEM 3.09s are said to yield a smoother and more responsive ride than the factory/stock gears.

11. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Next mod and not expensive; 285/35 of something sticky. That will help a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have tried all sorts of different methods....hot laps, cool laps, icing the SC, race fuel, etc, etc. I quit all that shit. (except the race fuel sometimes) Im in Ohio at 1200 ft & we get mabye early spring & late fall for "ideal" conditions conducive to having -DA

These cars are WELL capable of 10.6x's right out of the box with only sticky tires. My best is 10.79 & i think the DA was 1800-2000.....i looked it up on that link that dragrcr posted before i had my new weather gizmo. I have no doubt that all conditions being perfect mine would run quicker than that, but, it is what it is when it is. As mentioned, track conditions, driver, and MOST importantly air conditions.........my car will pick up 2 tenths or better as the night progresses, the other night it was hot & muggy, DA around 3000 & i was running 11.10's. 3 hours later DA dropped to around 2000 & i poked a 10.89.

I like to compete, which means i need to know my car & dial accordingly. I am not chasing the fastest record or continually striving for a personal best every outing, i want consistency & more importantly predictability. Having the gizmo to measure DA i think will help me here once i get more logs in. My focus has shifted from ET to RT, & that is where the learning REALLY starts with your car. I currently have about 170 logged runs with as much condition info written as i can, im learning. This sport is quite challenging considering that most spectators see it as "just a straight line drag race".

Dont get me wrong, i like to bullshit for 2 hrs with other gearheads while my car cools but where i go if you want to win money that just isnt feasable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

170 runs... man, that is what it's all about!! Enjoying that car to its fullest... I feel so sorry for the "splitter protector" crowd... they don't know what they are missing!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know right.........:)

• Like Like x 1
  15. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wish your math translated to actual time slip numbers. Its not always easy to run the cars full potential usually due to weather. These cars would need a 20mph or more tailwind in IDEAL conditions to run in the 10.5's. Mine would at least! I have seen 3 2016's this year yet to break 11.20's