The HK subwoofer system replaced & updated

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Carnage, May 27, 2015.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Recently I posted a thread about doing the HK subwoofer replacement.

I bought some Polk audio subs and silicone sealer for about $140 total and put a few hours of labor of my own to just test it out.

I found out that the sub woofers seem like they are daisy chained with the rest of the speaker systems inside the car hence "900 watt" system. One of the two subwoofers had only one set of wires going into it even though it has dual voice coils. The other one had two pairs of wire.

I will be getting a separate amp for the subwoofers and plan to JL audio upgrade at a later time even though this temporary upgrade hits deeper and somewhat harder.

Hope this helps some others who were planning to do something about that bass.

image.jpg

2. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hellcatdotclub Did you measure the impedance of the existing speakers, and what (impedance) did you select for the Polk Speakers? How did you wire where both voice coils were hooked up on the one side?

3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I didn't do any measuring, just trial and error. Worst case was I blows up and I do a separate amp system for the woofers. I looked at the wire harness into the sub box and guessed positive all on bottom and positive all on top. Noticed the rows are the pairs of wires coming into the woofers. There was a 50/50 chance on all this and I came out ok

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you still have the subwoofers you took out? Have an VOM/Volt_ohm meter? You can measure easily. edit: The reason I ask is your post never mentions the impedance of the new speakers either, so we all have to guess unless you tell us, or measure, or one of us measures.

"The multimeter looks at resistance, not impedance. Impedance is the opposition to the passage of alternating current and varies with frequency. Resistance is the opposition to the passage of direct current. Resistance is normally lower than nominal impedance. For instance, an 8-ohm nominal impedance cone speaker would typically have a (DC) resistance around 6 ohm. See any DAS spec sheet for an impedance curve. Dedicated impedance meters for audio use exist; they typically use a sinewave generator to measure impedance at 1 kHz, so you need to look at the speaker`s impedance chart to see what value you should expect at that frequency."

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So was it worth the investment,, can you tell a difference in sound while in the car

6. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I use an impedance bridge and up to 40kHz. When dealing with unknowns in audio setups. Although most don't have that.

The speakers may have been marked I'd look for that. And because one set of oe dual voice coils were used the other not, I suspect impedance was balanced but would want to understand that before using single coil speakers on both sides, or doubling up wiring on the side where both coils were used. Maybe we could ask Fnkychkn if he has time to produce an audio schematic showing speaker wiring (please thanks.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I left my impedance bridge on my yacht. And my Wheatstone bridge is at my summer home. And my London Bridge is in Arizona...

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    899 gets you an aluminum driveshaft

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Kinda random b5

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL

11. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know right

12. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL

13. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    True true TC1!

14. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah I wish I did but I don't have that tool. I used 4-ohm subs tho. I really didn't want to put too much into this mini project since I planned to upgrade with separate amps and new JL audio subs in the future