The latest word from FCA on the dysfunctional HK system in the Challengers

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by WNY Cat, Sep 21, 2015.

1. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I took my Challenger HC in for service this morning to replace the same blown speaker as everyone else and I was hoping to hear that some kind of fix was found. No luck. See below.

2015-09-21 12.53.22.jpg

I also started a Star Case.

2. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ya, its not a speaker issue. It only happens on mine when I listen to Sirius. The speaker sounds perfect listening to FM

3. jojo80

jojo80 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    a blown speaker and sirius xm....so does that mean that listening to the sat radio permanently damages one of the speakers (is it always the same in each car?)

4. WNY Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It seems like everyone is blowing the drivers side b-pillar speaker. I can't see how SXM listening would stress the speaker any more than the other sources. I just wanted to update everyone that FCA is aware of the problem but they don't have a fix yet.

I don't drive my car much, but if I did, I think I would have thrown the whole system into a dumpster by now and just had my audio guy replace everything.

I'm waiting to see what happens with the Star Case that was submitted.

5. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is weird. A weird problem

6. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The surround sound (or whatever the F@$k they call it) sucks... I'm glad I didn't buy a 707 H.P. stereo system... I'd be pizzed... H.K. use to be top of the line... I guess the 8 track days are truly over?...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yup I updated my 8 track with a cassette deck

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. WNY Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe it's a nostalgic radio design because if I disconnect the subwoofer it sounds the same as a 1971 radio on an AM station.:confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. 2mopars

2mopars Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hk sent some representatives to review / analyze / diagnosis their system in my cat. They flew to Fl from Detroit at a dealer of my choice.
    If i had to explain the quality of the Hk system in my challenger it would be as follows: very poor sound quality ( source did not matter ), sounded very "tinny". No volume. Had to put to level 24 to hear. Basically it was shit. Informed Hk that if my next dream car had this pos system in it, I would not buy the car. That WAS how much I disliked Hk and their products.
    Moving forward 8 hours, I was told my car was ready for pickup. I was not expecting much, but as a nonbeliever , I can now tell you the Hk system is now an entirely different animal.
    Sound is great, fully adjustable, crisp, clear sound. Volume at 12 is almost to loud. There is.no comparison.
    So unfortunately when I picked up car the Hk reps had left and I did not get a chance to find out what they did. Ive put calls in to learn more and when I do will post an update
    So for all the unfortunate soles who are suffering from post Harmon Depression, fear not . There is a fix coming and I can honestly state, you will not be disappointed.
    ....and for anyone who cares more about grammar , diction, or spelling, please disregard this helpful information and have a great fukng day.

• Like Like x 15
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. WNY Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is the post I have been waiting for. It looks like there is fix. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you're worried about blowing a speaker, eliminate the bass going to these smaller speakers (where it isn't needed anyway) by putting a cap on it. Cheap insurance.

12. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It should already have those in place with the factory cross-overs

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    wow, I'm hoping that this is for real and the fix will be in the pipeline soon. Thanks, 2mopars...

14. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2mopars.. When did yours get fixed,, I'm in the Detroit area,,I have to turn my radio up to around 24 to really start hearing it,, and at that level,I can still carry on a conversation without yelling

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have been fortunate, in that my HK system has sounded pretty damn good since I received. Just today, I removed the subwoofer cabinet from the car and took it into my shop. I was considering what it would take to upgrade the subs. ( a bit muddy on certain heavy base songs) For the record the HK subs ARE 4 ohm, but are wired differently than a typical system. One sub has two plugs going to sub, the other just one. The box is not ported, and the chamber behind the speakers is not partitioned for each speaker. (common space for both subs) I noticed that the box was well reinforced with lots of webbing for strength. What it did NOT have was any damping material in the common chamber. (we used to use fiberglass insulation or egg crate looking foam) I happened to have some egg crate patterned foam in the attic of my shop, so I set the box on top of it and cut and outline of the box out. Installed foam (about 1 1/2" thick) and reassembled subs and cabinet in trunk. Made sure the attachment points for the cabinet were tight. I must say that this seems to have made a significant difference in the clarity of the lows. I played several different types of music with deep lows and I love it. Listening level was 28 to 38. I am satisfied with the system as a whole now, and wouldn't consider changing the subs out. Would love to hear someone else trying this and confirm this is not my imagination. Mostly deaf this evening. Helps when the wife shares how her day went. :D Shag

• Useful Useful x 1