The Purchase of FH773438

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by Zacuda, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Zacuda

Zacuda Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It all started on May 20, 2014 when the Challenger Hellcat was unveiled at the New York Auto Show. I watched a live feed of the Hellcat being introduced to the world. I was the current owner of a 2012 Challenger SRT8 and I thought I had purchased my last performance car. As it turns out, I had one more purchase to make.
    Sometime in August 2014, I happened to wander into my local Dodge Dealership, Napleton River Oaks CJD in Lansing, Illinois. I ran into a salesman that I had met before when my wife and I purchased a 2013 Charger SXT Plus for my wife. Ken Walter has been in the car business for a long time, 25 years at this dealership. Ken and I began to talk about the 2015 Challenger Hellcat and he was well informed about the car. Ken got on the computer and pulled up a bunch of information about the Hellcat. I was just finding out more about the Hellcat. I was not going to buy one.
    When I got home I told my wife about the Hellcat and her response was, "when are you going to buy it?". I assured her that I was just looking and I had no plans on making a purchase. As I reflect back on my comment, I realize today that the seed had been planted and it was growing stronger with each passing day. I started to work the numbers in my head, on the value of my 2012 SRT8 and what the new Hellcat would cost, and I realized a Hellcat could be mine. A week or so later I let Ken know that I wanted to order a Hellcat.
    I knew that the Hellcat was going to be a popular car with Dodge people like myself and I came to the conclusion that I would be paying MSRP for my Hellcat. I had never purchased a new car for MSRP before. As September 9, 2015 approached, I was contacted by Ken and told that I could be on the first allocation for MSRP plus $5,000. I politely declined and told myself that I could live without a Hellcat.
    About two or three weeks after the order banks had opened, I was driving by a dealership in a neighboring town. I stopped in and walked up to the sales manager and asked him if he would order a Hellcat for me at MSRP. To my surprise he said yes but he did not know when they would be allocated another vehicle. We built a Hellcat and discussed a down payment, $5,000 and I went home to make my decision. I had agreed to return the following Monday to place the order.
    When I got home, I thought about the offer. I decided to give Ken Walter at Napleton River Oaks CJD a call and tell him about the deal I was about to make. I was hoping that Napleton would agree to sell at MSRP as they were a larger dealership and I thought that a larger dealership would have a better chance of being allocated a Hellcat. Also, Napleton is located about two miles from my house. I called Ken and a short time later I received a call from the sales manager, Roger Buss, who told me that he would order a Hellcat for me at MSRP. There was one problem, no allocation at this time. Roger told me that they were expecting additional allocation shortly and when they received allocation he would call me and the order would be entered. It was about this time that I joined Hellcat.org and began my education on the Hellcat ordering process. A beautiful thing occurred over the next few weeks, the sales manager, Roger Buss, was giving me good information and being honest with me.
    I had nothing in writing and had not put a deposit down. I was reading posts on Hellcat.org about buyers going to pick up their vehicles and being told additional fees were being added to the price of the vehicle. I was uncomfortable and began to place calls to Roger asking if he wanted to get a deposit from me on the order. His response was wait until I get your VIN.
    On January 14, 2015 I noticed that many folks on Hellcat.org were getting VINS assigned. I gave Ken Walter a call that afternoon and asked him to look into the system to see if anything had changed. He told me he had looked that morning and I was still in BX status. He said he would go online while I was on the phone with him to check status. After a moment or so, Ken said, "Rich you have a VIN get a pen and paper to write it down". The Golden Ticket! At that moment, I knew that a Hellcat would be in my garage in the coming months. I could relax and stop calling Ken and Roger on an almost daily basis.
    I became well known around the dealership as I would go in often just to say hello. When they received Hellcats from the September allocation, I would stop in and look at them with various dealership personnel. I asked Roger if he wanted a down payment since a VIN had been assigned. He looked at me for a moment and said, "Why bother? You're going to buy the car". He was right. I was going to buy the car!
    Hellcat.org is a great place for accurate information. It is also a place that can scare the hell out of you when you read about unscrupulous dealers. Remember, I had nothing in writing and had not put a deposit down. I think that I am a good judge of character; 27 years in Federal Law Enforcement exposes you to all types of people, both good and bad. My gut told me that Roger Buss was being fair and honest with me but I will admit that there was still a small part of me that was being pulled to the dark side and thinking about how this could all go bad.
    I am a very positive person so I focused on the bright side. I had a VIN, my Hellcat was going to be built to my specifications, and my name was going to be on that window sticker. This is the time when I started relying heavily on Resume Speed, Duane, at SRT Customer Service, and my sales manager Roger Buss. Many folks have not been happy with SRT Customer Service but I am not one of them. They provided accurate and timely information that mirrored the information that I was getting from Resume Speed and Roger. In fact SRT Customer Service gave me projected build dates. The first projected build date was the week of February 2, 2015. When that did not happen, they told me the week of February 16, 2015. FH773438 started its trip down the assembly line in Brampton, Ontario on February 18, 2015. The build sheets were printed at 9:16 PM. My Hellcat went into KZ status on February 19, 2015.
    Fast forward to February 27, 2015. My car has been sitting in Toledo, Ohio for the last couple of days. I call SRT Customer Service in the morning and am told that my Cat is on a truck on its way to the dealer. I call the dealership and ask for Ken, they tell me he is off today. Ok, I say, let me talk to Roger. I am told he will be in at 1:00PM. Ok, now I'm nervous. I start to envision all of the documentation in the vehicle being thrown in the trash. I had told Ken and Roger that I wanted everything. I can see the holes for the front license plate bracket being drilled in the front bumper. I had told Ken and Roger no front license plate bracket on the car. I call Ken on his cell and tell him the Cat is on the way. He tells me not to worry and that he is on the way to the dealership to do a delivery. He will be there in a few minutes.
    Ken calls back in about ten minutes to tell me he has seen a billet silver Hellcat, covered in road salt, parked out back. The Cat made its journey to Chicago by truck. It was never on a train. He has already retrieved all the documentation and has it for me in a box. I ask about the front license plate bracket and he tells me it is also in the box. Relief......everything is going to be fine. Ken says come to the dealership to pick up the car at 7:00 PM.
    We arrive at the dealership with an entourage, my wife, daughter, two sons, a friend of my sons. There it is, in the service department, all ready to go. I had made many mental notes on what to look for prior to delivery. That all goes out the window when we see the Cat. Many pictures are being taken, my son has his go pro camera and people who are having their vehicles serviced are all gathering around the Cat. To say that these cars get attention is an understatement. At one point there are 15 people looking at the Cat, taking photographs and giving me suggestions on aftermarket accessories. One lady is taking a video of the engine compartment and tells me that this is the highest horsepower, mass produced American car. I agree with her! One person in the service waiting area asks my salesman why there is a car show in the service area.
    It was a busy night at Napleton River Oaks CJD and there was only one finance person on hand to close deals. So we have to wait for a while. At one point a young salesman comes up to me and asks if I remember him. I tell Isaac that I do remember him, he had given me a couple of 2015 Challenger brochures a couple of months ago. He asks if I will start the Hellcat so his father can listen to it run. I am happy to start it so I can listen with them. Man it sounds sweet. I had aftermarket exhaust on my 2012 SRT8. This Cat will stay stock, no need to change the exhaust. Isaac's father was really moved by listening to the Hellcat run and gives me a big hug and thanks me repeatedly.
    It is approaching 10:00 PM and my wife and I finally make it into the finance office and meet Angela, the finance manager. Remember, no down payment, nothing in writing, only the word of the salesman and sales manager that this Hellcat is being sold at MSRP. She is just about to hand me the purchase invoice when a voice comes on over the dealers intercom system. It is Ken Walter congratulating us on the purchase of our Hellcat. At last the purchase invoice is in front of me, my eyes go right to the line that says purchase price of vehicle. In the box next to purchase price is $63,970 MSRP.
    We all want to get home, so we quickly finish up the deal and out the door we go but not before I give the young porter taking a cell phone video a loud blast from the Hellcats exhaust. There are good honest dealers out there, I found one and I hope all of you still searching for a Hellcat can also find one.
    Zacuda

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Zacuda

Zacuda Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Photos Just an FYI, that is my daughter and her 2015 SXT Plus
    IMG_8012.JPG IMG_8014.JPG IMG_8015.JPG IMG_8016.JPG IMG_8021.JPG IMG_8026.JPG

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  3. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great story,, where are the pictures , and by chance do you have the video of the hellcat in New York,, because I recall them only showing the 2015 challenger,,I didn't see a hellcat,, but would love to see it if you have it... congrats on the new car...

4. Sublimecat

Sublimecat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on the car and the experience. My dealer was straight up and it makes it so much better. Have fun with the car!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great story brother! Yes with so much shift going on in the world there is still a lot of good and it's nice people can be reminded of that. Play safe

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A hearty Congratulations from Georgia! Love the story, and love the pictures! Enjoy, and drive safely!!!

April

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. F6F-3

F6F-3 SRT Hellcat Owner Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Awesome! Another "shoutout" from the Peach State. I do like the billet silver!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hattrick

Hattrick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sure you didn't leave anything out?

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Read the entire story. Congratulations on your new HC! Looks great.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Nice wheels!

12. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I hope I have a wonderful write up like yours when I take delivery of my Hellcat. Nice!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  13. jgil

jgil Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very nice looking cat! I know you'll never break the speed limit being a former LEO. Enjoy

14. 440 Superbee

440 Superbee Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Zacuda - WOW! Another great good news story! That's the 2nd one this week that really stands out on this forum to me. Congrats on the delivery of your Hell Cat at MSRP. I cannot believe you never put a deposit down. I think you my be in the .01% that's has happened to.
    Beautiful Cat! Enjoy your Hell Baby and don't get in trouble and have your badge taken away. Lol :D

15. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow! Another verbose person! Great story and super congratulations on a awesome good looking car!