The Ten Things You Learn After Four Days in the Dodge Charger Hellcat

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by caren, Aug 3, 2015.

1. caren

caren Hell-o Kitty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Loving this article from Road & Track!! Dodge Charger Hellcat Test

Dodge was kind enough to let us borrow a Charger Hellcat. If you don't know, the Hellcat is the fastest production sedan, with a top speed of 204 MPH and 707 insanity inducing horsepower under the hood. It's not quicker off the line than the Tesla Model S P85D, but after 60 it just crushes it. It's faster than almost anything and everything.

We had four days with the car to learn its intricacies. Here are the ten things you need to know:

[​IMG]

1. It's obscenely fast. That's a given, but nothing can really prepare you for the insanity of the Hellcat until you first step on the gas. It's not subtle about its speed or power. Get on the gas and you're greeted by a wall of noise and speed unlike anything out there. The 6.2 liter supercharged Hemi with 707 horsepower is one of the greatest engines we've ever seen. Seriously, there's a lot to love here.

2. It's overpowered and undertired. Ok, so overpowered was a given, but it has a square tire profile with 275s all around. 275s sound meaty, but then you realize that the Camaro Z/28 has 305s all around, the Corvette Z06 has 335s out back, even the Viper has 355s out back. All of these cars are lighter and have less power. The heavier (4,000+ pounds), more powerful Charger simply cannot hook up, it needs more rubber. Even a slight throttle application results in spinning rears and tire marks down the road, even with the traction control set to very on.

3. Yes, it can do a burnout. As you've seen from literally every YouTube video that this car has been in, brake stands are no worries for it. I didn't do any when I had the car because I wanted to give it back with tires. Also, I've seen the videos, I know it can do a burnout, what would doing one prove?

4. It's actually rather subtle. This is kind of hard to believe, but the word Hellcat appears on the outside of the car precisely zero times. It has two little badges that are the Hellcat symbol, two SRT badges, and that's really it. To the uninitiated, it looks like a regular Charger Scat Pack, perhaps a slightly more sinister one, but that's about it. It's a total sleeper, got to love that.

5. People who know what it is freak out. I had a number of people give thumbs up, roll down the windows to chat about it, or give knowing nods of approval. Owners of regular Chargers were obviously jealous when they stopped to talk. That has to make someone who owns a Hellcat feel damn good.

[​IMG]

6. Some people who know what it is act like idiots around it. If you're driving the Hellcat and come across something like a Camaro or a lowered Mitsubishi Evo (these are just examples and definitely not people that I saw, no sir, not at all), be prepared for some invitations to drive like a moron in traffic. People will pull up next to you, drop gears, and then take off, expecting that you'll be following close behind to prove that your car is fast. A better thing to do is to just let those people make asses of themselves and get pulled over while and you just continue on your way.

7. Gas mileage is a joke. Seriously. It's more like gallons per mile than miles per gallon. Hypermiling in the Charger will let you see 20 MPG. Maybe. A full tank of fuel barely got me 200 miles. That's kind of awesome.

8. Corners are not its thing. Steering is vague and it's a heavy SOB. That's why you'll see these on the drag strip, not on the road course.

9. It's surprisingly nice inside. While some of the materials on the dash feel a little cheap, the seats are top notch, the wheel feels great, and Chrysler's UConnect system is a delight to use. It's a very, very nice place to spend a lot of time.

[​IMG]

10. The Hellcat is a screaming deal. The particular car that Dodge gave us to test came in at $70,800. That sounds like a lot, but that roughly equates to $100 per horsepower... for the most powerful, fastest sedan that the world has seen. Yes, yes, you're spending $70,000 on a Dodge, but you get to say it's a Hellcat. And there's something cool about that.

The Charger Hellcat makes no sense. It's not a rational car. You'd have to be clinically insane to buy this as your daily driver/family hauler. You'll probably need to change tires every time you refuel, which is basically every single day. It's nuts. It makes no sense. It's irrational. It's dumb.

It's basically perfect.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yup

3. Scotty2Hotty

Scotty2Hotty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This car gets TONS of looks every time I drive it. I have had a few douche bags try to get me to lose my license and drive like an idiot. (At a clear stop light with about a mile of nothing I will punch it, in heavy traffic, GFY) Also I have had people in mustangs who were trying to race everyone and their mother slow down when they see me pull up next to them.....seriously they respect it...I wish they didn't cause I would love to burn their asses!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steveb

Steveb Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "The Charger Hellcat makes no sense. It's not a rational car. You'd have to be clinically insane to buy this as your daily driver/family hauler. You'll probably need to change tires every time you refuel, which is basically every single day. It's nuts. It makes no sense. It's irrational. It's dumb.

It's basically perfect."

I'm changing this to a Hellcat Challenger and going to use with your permission :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. caren

caren Hell-o Kitty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Mine gets tons of looks too. I drove through the dealership where tsc got his Challenger on Saturday just to look (and I knew they haven't had any Chargers yet), but I did not expect half the dealership to come running outside when I drove by the showroom so they could look at the car, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. caren

caren Hell-o Kitty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Not my article, lol!

7. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I couldn't agree more. I like that it's subtle, but it does need wider tires. 285's front, 305's rear should do the trick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I take issue with #8. Even though I have the Challenger HC, I'm sure the charger is the same, and it does just fine on corners, where it doesn't grip, it will slide.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. caren

caren Hell-o Kitty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in complete agreement on this. The corners are just fine for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Agree #8 is wrong

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It does draw a lot of attention, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. I get people damn near crashing into me or in a ditch trying to take pics while driving. A good result is my wife no longer wants to drive the car because of all these people and would rather let me deal with it. Darn!:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scotty2Hotty

Scotty2Hotty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have had plenty of people taking pics while driving.....its so WIERD for someone to take a pic of you and a car.....weird. I love cars but I am not taking a pic of one rolling down the street while I am DRIVING!

13. Driller

Driller Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It is strange that so many people know about this car. I understand the occasional motor head guy or gal to know about it, but it seems that a lot of what I consider not car people also having heard about it.

14. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So funny story. I took the wife out Friday night in the hellcat, second time she has ever been in the car. we went to one of our club meets. so were there for about 35 minutes and she tells me she wants starbucks. so we head down the street to where starbucks is, we pull into the lot, and I back the car in, and across from my car is a white Lamborghini horcan , and a Mcclaren , and as we get out of the car, both owners come over to check out my car... you should of heard my wife,,, her words were damn, there driving those cars and they come over to look at yours,, that says a lot..,, and the starbucks was closed.....lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Glad you know those cars, I'm only up on Murican and Audi