The Wait is OVER!

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by peaksv, May 22, 2016.

1. peaksv

peaksv Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am not sure how to start off this thread......I am still in AWE! I ordered my Challenger SRT Hellcat back in early January and picked it up yesterday morning. I want to thank everyone on this site that provided the support and the information during my build. It made the wait much more tolerable!

Now, to the car. As I said earlier - I am in AWE! Before I got in this car, I owned a Jeep GC SRT8 (complete exhaust, tune, etc) and I thought that Jeep was so fast and powerful......until yesterday morning. My respect for speed and performance is at a whole different level. As I was signing the paperwork, the Viper/SRT rep pulled the car to the front of the dealership. I could hear the rumble of the exhaust as it pulled up. I couldn't believe it as this was the first time I have heard a Hellcat rumble in person - let alone the first time I have seen my car up close (stalked it as it sat in the rail yard from a distance!!!). My wife and my parents were with me as well. Of course they went out to look at it immediately while I still had a few signatures to go! Once I was done, I took the car on very short trip down the street and back by myself. That solo trip is one of those experiences you will never forget in your life. The rumble of the exhaust, the whine of the supercharger, the tight shifts, and the pull that the unbelievable horsepower and torque that this car generates is unreal. I have never experienced that type of power in a vehicle.

I was advised to keep in under 4,000 RPM for the first 500 miles and to just drive it like a "normal car" during the initial break-in. WHAT?!?!?! HOW IN THE WORLD CAN THEY EXPECT SOMEONE TO DO THAT ONCE THEY GET A TASTE OF THE POWER!?!?!?! I will honestly tell you, I haven't followed that. Even during my first solo drive I described above, I opened her up. I would share the video, but my wife used her iPhone and we all know the quality of those videos are weak - but you can hear the supercharger and the crack of the exhaust! Anyway, back to the whole "under 4k" - I broke that rule a number of times throughout the day yesterday. I don't know how anyone could resist the temptations that come along with this BEAST.

After I settled down, I followed my parents back to my hometown to show it off to some of my family back home. I am fortunate to still have one set of grandparents in my life. My grandfather is 82 and has always had a passion for cars. This car did not disappoint. We pulled up and he had a huge smile on his face. He quickly came up and sat in the drivers seat. He wanted to start it but had no idea how to work a push button start car! After we figured that out, he had no problem giving it a couple "whaps" on the gas pedal. Here's where it gets interesting. It was me, my father, and my grandfather standing in the front of the car looking at the motor. I said, "Well, either you can ride along in the passenger seat and go for a quick ride or you can drive and show me what you can do." Both my grandfather and my father looked at me with the same facial expression - but they couldn't have been more opposite on the meaning of those expressions!! My grandfather's expression was more like "HELL YEAH" and my father's was like "ARE YOU NUTS?!?!" Long story short, he did OK. If any of those gears in the 6sd transmission had a few burrs or were not shiny....we'll I'm sure they are clean now! He only had 2 small, short grinds - nothing I am concerned about. All worth letting an 82 year old experience something like that first hand. On a side note - I live in Nebraska. My grandparents live in a small farm town of 600 people, so I wasn't worried about the safety of the public when he had control of the car!!! Plus, both of them are still very independent and drive their Buick daily to the coffee shop! At the end of the day, my grandfather was able to experience something amazing at 82 years old and I have another life memory!

I could go on and on about this car. Honestly, words cant describe how I feel about this car. To all of you still waiting, be patient. I know you hear people on this forum saying the same thing.....be patient, it will be worth it. You are thinking "easy for them to say since they already have their car." Trust me, I thought the same. But you really don't realize what they mean until you drive it for the first time. It is so worth the wait! So hang in there.

I may have rambled on, but again, words can't explain this car. I am very proud to be an owner and as I said, I have a new level of respect for horsepower and torque. In fact, I am still so excited that I was up at 4am wanting to wash it from yesterday's drive! To all of the current Hellcat owners, I am excited to be part of the family. To those waiting to get theirs, be patient, it will be totally worth it. Trust me.

Rick

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on your Hellcat. That was a very good write up and great for your grand dad. My dad is 80 and loves my Hellcat. We parked his Chrysler 300 by my Hellcat and took a picture of us standing with the cars. That was a great moment for both us and yes he got his thrill ride also.these memory's will stay with us forever. Enjoy and have fun.

Chuck

• Like Like x 1
  3. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's a sickness....welcome to the ward!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. F6F-3

F6F-3 SRT Hellcat Owner Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome and WhooHoo on your new Cat!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats and welcome. It is good to be KING!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. blackgato

blackgato Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats man. The feeling is still fresh for me too. So hard to keep it under 50mph. Soooo hard.

• Like Like x 2
  7. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello, and welcome! Grtz on the new Hellcat, and I enjoyed reading your write up! Please post pictures when you can as we'd enjoy seeing them. :D

April

• Like Like x 2
  8. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Loved your post! Awesome that you shared the experience of driving a Hellcat with your GDad
    Those are memories of a lifetime for both if you.
    Congrats on the Hellcat.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats!

Pics please

• Like Like x 1
  10. peaksv

peaksv Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    20160522_070826.jpg 20160522_070826.jpg 20160522_070910.jpg 20160522_070846.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Maddawg

Maddawg Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats

• Like Like x 1
  12. Billy12

Billy12 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sweet !! Congrats on ur cat !

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Beauty! Congrats!!! Love the Monkeys :cool:

Enjoy it and don't underestimate this cats ability to bite. The only modern cars I've owned with more bite potential were Vipers.

You will have a dookee eating grin every time you take her out. Winter will be unbearable. First time out in Spring will be a renewed romance.

14. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats and welcome to the community. Fantastic write up...throughly engaging. Enjoy the cat and drive safe. Cheers !!!

15. Knappyhead

Knappyhead SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats and I can relate to the bright white and monkey wheels. I'm still on a high after a week. Enjoy the ride and welcome. Loved your story.