These are the first Hellcats in existence...ever.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Sinurgy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This thread is inspired by comments I've been seeing lately by some frustrated owners who are running into issues with their cars. I feel like some of you need to take a step back and realize you bought a first run vehicle. I don't care what brand it is when you buy a first year model you're going to have issues, it's not if, it's when. I know it's frustrating but it's the price you pay to be the first ones to the party.

Here's my anecdote...
    Back in 2002 I was lucky enough to be part of the first wave of G35 Coupes in the the US and had literally one of the first G35c's in all of Arizona. While I don't know how they're fairing these days, at the time Infiniti was ranked behind only Lexus in quality. I say this because if there was anyone who could pull off a high quality first run car, it was Infiniti. Well guess what, it had all sort of issues! Everything from relatively minor stuff like back seat lever issues (a lever on the back of the front seats that allowed back passengers to let themselves out...damn thing broke all the time!!!), to medium stuff like window motors and radio issues (replaced twice) and finally a couple bigger things like transmission issues (mine was completely replaced). So yeah to say the least, there were problems with the car.

Now having said all that, I don't regret that purchase in the slightest!!!!! The car was gorgeous (I'm going to attach a pic whether you guys like it or not!!), a blast to drive and my god people could not get enough of the thing. Everywhere I went there would be people ogling the car, making comments, asking questions, giving thumbs up, etc.. I got to feel like a rock star for the better part of a year! Sure the issues were annoying at times but Infiniti did fix everything and ultimately made things right. I just had to stay patient and make a few more trips to the dealership than I'd prefer (Infiniti gives you a loaner though so that certainly helped) but not enough to detract from the awesome experience of the car itself and of being one of the first ones on the block to own a car that most everyone loves!

To be clear I'm not saying just accept quality issues, you should absolutely make the dealership and Dodge fix any and all issues that arise. I'm just saying that when you buy a first run car, you have to expect issues to arise, it's just part of the deal. I think the perks of early ownership are worth it but you have to accept the cons along with the pros. If you want better quality your best bet is to wait until next year when they'll have worked out a lot of the kinks, otherwise enjoy your ultra rare fire breathing feline from the underworld and accept that every now and then he'll need to see the prince of darkness for a little mana restoration!

I told you I was going to (yes pic was taken with a potato)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. 2mopars

2mopars Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Always been a fan of that car

3. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cliff notes?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Put's things into perspective!!! Doesn't matter who makes them there are always some issues...

It's amazing because I actually think Japanese auto quality has gone DOWN in the last 10 years in general. Still great cars but not nearly as trouble free as they once where. Toyota probably being the prime example of this IMO.

Sharp looking car you had there! I never owned one but I admired them when they first came out. Very sharp indeed.

5. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice car and story. My favorite was the g37 coupe

6. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice story and I agree. I knew what I was doing by getting a first run car.

7. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah it's pretty much just the nature of the beast. I worked in quality assurance for years and this basically happens with damn near all new products. To put it in software terms, the first group of customers are beta testers whether they like it or not. You get all the glory but most of the pain too. If you want the stable from the get go release, wait a year.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. 440 Superbee

440 Superbee Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great write up and you did a really nice job explaining the reality of most all real world first run productions on a product. Thanks for the wake up call.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought & still own a late 2003 build sedan version in Caribbean Blue (Infiniti made minor revisions mid-year to correct some of the early release problems). It's been a fabulous car and I still use it as my daily driver (107K miles). Front bumper got hammered by lovebugs (my bad for not protecting it early on), but the rest of the paint looks pretty good. Interior has held up as well. Very few minor repairs over the years & 1 warranty claim (head unit failed, a big problem in the '03 & '04 G35's). I still get people asking me if I want to sell it, no one believes it's 12 years old !!

Meantime, my '09 M45 loaded with every conceivable option sits in the corner of the garage waiting to be sold.

10. jjtt

jjtt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That's the truth of the matter, gotta roll with the punches because that's what you signed up for ;)

11. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I totally agree! I knew there would be growing pains and tweaks. I feel it is my obligation to make sure I give feedback and help them make improvements. I don't expect perfect and I know they will make it right whenever there is a problem. I wouldn't trade my Hellbaby for anything. It is worth all the anticipating and anxiety waiting for the build and delivery. I am very proud to be one of the first to own such an amazing car!

12. MoparPhil

MoparPhil Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    One thing to remember is that internet forums often blow repair issues way out of proportion. Then some of the "carpocondriacs" read the repair threads and all of the sudden the issue is chronic. The reality is that most cars work trouble free. It's usually just a few car owners who post about having problems while hundreds and even thousands silently enjoy cars that run perfectly fine. Not too many people start threads about how their car is working just as it should.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ah so you got a late 2003 sedan, that definitely saved ya some growing pains. So you don't have the square on the back of the trunk then right? btw...Caribbean Blue was such a beautiful color!!

When I sold mine it had about 75k miles on it and seemed to be going strong. It was hard selling it, especially because I went from that to a freaking 3/4 ton pick. Ugh! I'm used to my big pickup now and have come to respect it's abilities but my heart is with sports cars and I've been wanting one ever since I sold my G. I finally paid my truck off and then the Hellcat came screaming along and I couldn't resist! I mean c'mon, look at my avatar (my go to for well over a decade)!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah I supposed a "Drove to work today, everything went fine" thread would be kind of pointless.

15. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's all good. My girlfriend has a KIA so I'll drive that if/when Missy ends up in the shop.... Should be the same feel right?