They don't make 'em like they used to no more!

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by junglas, Dec 4, 2015.

1. junglas

junglas Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I once had the privilege of experiencing a genuine and refurbished '70 Dodge Charger with very little modification. I even got to insert the key into the key fob and turn the ignition. I didn't get to drive it unfortunately because it was at an auto show but heads were turning at my direction and let's just say I had my 15 seconds of fame! :D

Now I'm looking to make my first ever brand-new car purchase and I thought to myself what better time to do so now with the historical, record-breaking powerful sedan SRT of today. But, I do not wanna go down the years and sell it to a probably abusive driver who won't spoil it and take of it like I will. In fact I am not going to sell it at all, I want it to last for a long time, I would like to show it to my grand kids and tell them this was your grandpa's first car, hell, probably even strap them in and take them for a ride.

Sitting in that '70 Charger was really something, you're in a car much older than yourself and it still runs just as it did more than forty years ago! Will the modern American muscle car of today still run after many years? No question that I will do my best to maintain it with my own hands if I have to, buy the necessary parts and whatnot, but will I able to show it in person to my grand kids? :D

Thanks!
    Bader

2. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think the mechanical side will be an issue. It is the long term durability of the various electronic control systems that would bother me

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. junglas

junglas Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    No doubt those will have to be replaced fully every once in a few years as compared to engine parts/maintenance which worries me a bit. One point I stressed in my post is the car key, I've heard of too many cases when the engine start button just fails on the '12-'14 Chargers or other button-ignition cars for that matter. Then you'll need to either code a new key from a retailer or take it back to the dealer and get ripped off... Why can't we just use a regular key? This is one of many electronic systems that will be hard to maintain.

4. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There will parts available for many years just like the older cars now. They may be from junked cars, new or aftermarket. The concern to me is that even if you can obtain a working replacement module, many you can't just install and have them work. They have to be programmed to the vehicle by the dealer. This will be a problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. stuka1166

stuka1166 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    IMG_1392.JPG

IF by chance you are interested in a 68' Road Runner...Shoot me PM ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. junglas

junglas Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    MAN that thing looks sweet! :):) That it one of the Plymouth's to run, it looks great too! I'd love to if my time and place allowed it, but I'll keep it in mind sometime in the future if it's still around! ;)

7. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stuka... that 68 looks sweet! Yeah... I worry what will happen to the electronics in these cars as factory support fades... don't expect that for a long while... but that day will come. :(