They say 9,000 orders but that is a gross underestimation.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Galt, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Galt

Galt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Every dealer I've talked to is 4-5 deep 'in line' for guys WAITING to place an order after their current orders are filled. I talked to one small local dealer who had 2 cars on order and another 7 guys who put up $1000 to hold a place in line for the next allocation. Talked to a broker 4 deep. I wanted an HC Charger and couldn't place an order when the malaise started last year. Trying to wade into the water the last couple months has been an excercise in futility. I'd buy one today if I could find the right car for sale by someone following the rules. So would my brother and he's normally into Japanese cars.

I think they could've sold 30,000 cars this year without batting an eye in the US alone. I know guys that'd buy one in a second but the horror stories have turned them off even trying. Assuming they don't drop the price of the loaded Z06 or make an 800HP Camaro, it's gonna take well into 2018 just to catch up with the first year demand. You think I'm optimistic - they sold 37k base Vettes last year and couldn't meet demand. The HC would cut DEEEP into the Vettes if you could get 'em. I'm normally a 'Vette guy myself and I currently have ZERO interest in GM now that the HC exists.

And that's not including other brand loyal people who would eventually be converted due to word of mouth, test rides, internet videos, envy etc. if cars were available for purchase.

I'm absolutely positive they grossly underestimated how grossly they underestimated demand. Only hope this dealer fiasco doesn't poison the water completely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think dealers have a lot more duplicate orders than they realize. It takes a special person to even want a Hellcat. It's not your everyday person than can even afford one. Gas, insurance, credit rating, etc... The Stars have to align just right. Taken together, I don't think there are as many people lined up as it seems.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ma so sorry to read about your experience with this mess. The only comfort is that you are not alone. The bright news on the horizon is that just in the past 2 weeks we have been seeing a lot more activity with these cars (more coming home, more VINs, and more on lots), so it is my hope that the backlog will see some real relief very soon. Hang in there!

April

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Smog Dog

Smog Dog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Agree with this. Plus a lot can happen while a person waits 8 or 9 months for a car to be built. Things change and some will back out before or when the car arrives. Lots of double VONs, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As a reference, out of the 439 orders being tracked on the VON thread;

4.5% - 20 out of 439 are cancelled
    7.9% - 33 out of 419 are duplicates
    87.5% - 386 out of 419 are good orders

Using the above percentages as an estimate representative of the 9,000 orders placed;

4.5% - 405 out of 9,000 are cancelled
    7.9% - 679 out of 8,595 are duplicates
    87.5% - 7916 out of 8,595 are good orders

This somewhat makes sense as there were ~3,000+ Challengers built by 3/30/2015 with a production average of 1,500 Challengers per quarter. With 2 quarters remaining, an estimated 6,000 to be built and the addition of 1,000 scheduled builds, that puts production around 7,000+.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I doubt they would have sold 30,000. Even if they would have been able to produce them all.

7. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So 12% are cancelled or duplicate orders. I bet there is a significant amount unaccounted for in fake orders and orders that appear to be real --- only for the buyer to back out because they can't afford the payment or can't qualify for a loan. Poor diehards or over-anxious people can order all they want, only to find themselves at signing and being shocked when told "that'll be $1000/mo" or "sorry, your credit line wasn't approved". This is a car that appeals to the masses and seems to be within reach but it'll take some huge sacrifices and planning for even the above average buyer.

I've come across a lot of threads indicating a Hellcat is available because the buyer backed out. Those are "real" orders too... But they only serve to overinflate the true demand.

8. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That comment isn't meant to slight your stats... I think you can only report the data you have. Thanks for collecting the numbers to give us all an idea of what demand is like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CivilEngineer42

CivilEngineer42 Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At my dealer there is still 8 Challengers and 4 Chargers that are sold orders that are not in the system due to all being put in back in September and they only had 2 allocations. So they gave back the deposits and pulled the orders and we all went back on the list in the order we started from until Dodge issued allocations........
    There are still people out there that want the car that are not in the system........

10. HellcatOK

HellcatOK Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This post get's me thinking. If this dealer only had 2 allocations last year and now has 7 on a waiting list for 2016 it sounds like FCA is going to have another case of "History repeating itself"! Agree?

FCA should be getting ahead of this and laying the ground work now for how to proceed with 2016 model year orders. Just say'in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hugh Jorgan

Hugh Jorgan Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Not really, it seems that there are quite a few Mustang, Corvette & Camaro fleabags over here.

:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Galt

Galt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    They could have sold that many cars just in the US this year easy. They keep these same production numbers going it'll take 'till 2018 just to sort out the 2015 backlog. Idk what's up with the bean counters but even BMW is having this problem with the i8. Even if they'd over estimated and built too many (not possible)' they could have held them over as '16's or used the overflow to build spares for the many, many, many inevitable repair needs for crashed Hellcats.

This order problem could be solved like Kawasaki did the H2 and H2R - bikes were only built to order and required a 10%, non-refundable deposit. You were either buying one or you weren't. They also did not allow dealers to floor plan them to prohibit fake profiteer fishing lure orders.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think there is a list on some site that is filled with verified sold orders to enthusists...oh that's right, it's this one.

Step one. Build cars from list.
    Step two. If a dealer is found on ebay or a car site listing at MSRP fishing and then found gouging at 10k plus, they get NO MORE ALLOCATIONS. Create an email address for people to email the details.
    Step 3. If a dealer has verified sold orders, build the cars. This is called moving and selling product.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed...and make sure we all know who these dealers are in step two. If they get no more allocations, make sure all of those folks with VON's with said dealer know this so they can bail.....but now they....those with VON's... are being punished. If Feb's allocation flowchart is in effect going forward and you have a VON, make sure your dealer isn't keeping you from getting a VIN by having on one the floor at 20K over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Galt

Galt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Amen.