Things to check on your new Hellcat

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by John Tse, Apr 4, 2015.

1. John Tse

John Tse Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hellcat owners:
    1. Check your motor oil level was down 1 quart with 495 miles on the odometer.
    2. Check oil cooler hose at the oil filter housing, fitting are not pushed in all the away (slight leak)
    3. Check upper radiator hose clamp, clamp is in too far into the neck lip, coolant will blow the hose off
    ** any suggestion to mount Front License bracket without drilling into the front bumper**

2. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Think there are TSB's for those? If not sounds like there should be.

3. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are a few threads on front license plate options.
    What are you using for front license bracket SRT Hellcat Forum
    Very creative group. Congrats on your Hellcat. Thanks for sharing.:)

4. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm just glad that in WA state if the car does not come with a front plate you do not need one. I actually just talked with my dealer yesterday about this very thing. I was making sure she did not come with a front plate!

5. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bad news...the law for Washington says we have to have one and there are specifics on how high it can be and general location. It does not have to affixed to front bumper, just 4' up is maximum height and some other specifics I cannot remember off the top of my head. DeputyDog ight be able to help. I have just been risking it at this point but did check the law to see what I had to do. I just haven't decided what. Don't want anything that will rub on the front bumper or block air flow.

6. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Here is the answer from the WA state patrol website. Did you get issued 2 plates? Because I'm not getting issued one ; ) I see Vipers and Vettes without a front plate all the time. So I'm just going to roll the dice and see how things go. I never get issued two tags for my Magnum.

Is a front license plate required?

Yes, for those vehicles issued a front plate. The license plate must be affixed to the front of the vehicle and kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. (RCW 46.16A.240)

7. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, did you just not get Washington plates? I have mine, it sits between the seats right now!:D

8. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It also states that if the car is a collector you don't need a front one and also exceptions can be given if construction of the car makes it impossible. "A licence plate will block airflow into the car and cause it to overheat officer"

RCW 46.16A.200
    License plates.
    (1) Design. All license plates may be obtained by the director from the metal working plant of a state correctional facility or from any source in accordance with existing state of Washington purchasing procedures. License plates:

(a) May vary in background, color, and design;

(b) Must be legible and clearly identifiable as a Washington state license plate;

(c) Must designate the name of the state of Washington without abbreviation;

(d) Must be treated with fully reflectorized materials designed to increase visibility and legibility at night;

(e) Must be of a size and color and show the registration period as determined by the director; and

(f) Before July 1, 2010, may display a symbol or artwork approved by the former special license plate review board and the legislature. Beginning July 1, 2010, special license plate series approved by the department and enacted into law by the legislature may display a symbol or artwork approved by the department.

(2) Exceptions to reflectorized materials. License plates issued before January 1, 1968, are not required to be treated with reflectorized materials.

(3) Dealer license plates. License plates issued to a dealer must contain an indication that the license plates have been issued to a vehicle dealer.

(4)(a) Furnished. The director shall furnish to all persons making satisfactory application for a vehicle registration:

(i) Two identical license plates each containing the license plate number; or

(ii) One license plate if the vehicle is a trailer, semitrailer, camper, moped, collector vehicle, horseless carriage, or motorcycle.

(b) The director may adopt types of license plates to be used as long as the license plates are legible.

(5)(a) Display. License plates must be:

(i) Attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle if two license plates have been issued;

(ii) Attached to the rear of the vehicle if one license plate has been issued;

(iii) Kept clean and be able to be plainly seen and read at all times; and

(iv) Attached in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground.

(b) The Washington state patrol may grant exceptions to this subsection if the body construction of the vehicle makes compliance with this section impossible.

9. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't have the car yet but I'm not letting the dealer put a plate holder on the front. Like they do with Vipers and the other HC they have got in. Then I'm not going to put it on if I get two plates. Look around this week at nice cars and see how many don't have front plates. I saw a Maserati this week without one. If I get pulled over several times for it and get a ticket I'll put one on but I'm not going to do it until that happens. I will also roll it by my LEO buddies to see how they view it.

10. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is my thought exactly. We will have to see who gets in trouble first. My dealer did not put it on or drill the holes at my request. I like the air flow theory. That will be my first try.:D The police in town have been pretty cool about my car. I am going to assume it will be a State Patrol that might give me a difficult time.

11. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have been reading other forums about this and very few have been pulled over for this and actually ticketed. In fact most say that they have been pulled over for other things and the cops never even said anything about the plate. The Viper is one of the cars that is on the list that doesn't need one by the way. So I'm with you lets see who gets a ticket for that violation first. I'm guessing if you get pulled over the cops are going to be more interested in the car than the lack of plate on the front ; )

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    And John I would check you state law. There are a few states that don't require a front plate. Maybe your one of the lucky ones.