Thoughts on OEM size ATI Damper

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Senderofan, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So I'm trying to sort out my mod list and part of this has involved researching the whole "Pinning the crank pulley debate." "For me, and my comfort level"......I'm planning on pinning. I've seen that ATI makes an OEM sized damper for our vehicle. I obviously don't have any experience with ATI since I'm asking about them...but would be interested in their product if it is significantly better at dampening than the OEM unit. There's a fair amount of work to get down to the crank pulley just to pin it........Would the extra $450+ be worth it in the long run?? For the longevity of the engine?( obviously there are human variables that impact longevity....but I don't abuse my equipment)

Sorry if this seems like a question that's been addressed elsewhere. I've done searches and can't find information.....other than the 10% overdrive ATI Damper. If I choose to up the performance, I'll do an upper pulley and tune........that'll be way more power than I'll ever use.

Thanks in advance for insightful comments or advice. Just trying to get educated on this amazing engine.

Wayne

2. SublimeHellcat

SublimeHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My understanding is if you change your damper increase the size you have to do a tune and possibly change the injectors as well. If you were planning on doing all of that then I guess your good to go...

3. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the input.........I was just wondering.......with all the work it takes to get down to pinning the crank pulley.......if it would be advantageous to also install the OEM sized ATI damper? I'm a little freaked out with having to remove material from the engine in order to have clearance for the 10% overdrive ATI.

This subject is new for me......I'd like to protect the engine where I can.......if it will make a difference....on seals or bearings.

Any bump in performance will be done with a smaller blower pulley and a tune. That's about the extent of my comfort level for more performance.

4. SublimeHellcat

SublimeHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am pinning my crank as we speak. Make sure whoever does it has the proper damper puller tool to hold the crank while they use the torsion wrench to get the proper LBS of pressure on the crank bolt. The tools is specific to the dodge hellcat and is about 48.00 Pinning a crank is outside of my wheelhouse, but I have a company i trust to do the work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DrBuick
    This would be the Man in the know,he has done it all,not sure he is still active on here,maybe try to PM him! He Is a Tech at a garage 1(Michigan i think),maybe he could do it for you!
    Far

6. Senderofan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks.....I'll see if I can make contact with him and see if he can give me some insight into this.

7. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wayne, it sounds like you just drive your car normal, no racing, save your money and keep the car stock, your covered for any failures in the warranty.
    TC

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Senderofan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks TC....I greatly appreciate your input. The only racing would be the rare trip to the strip and maybe a road course a couple times per year.