Throttle response - Question

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by JCL123, Nov 21, 2015.

1. JCL123

JCL123 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Hey, how is everyone doing? I have the 2015 Dodge Charger Scat Pack. Just turned 500 miles. I am very happy with the car over-all, but do any of you notice that it wants to shift from 1st to 4th as quickly as possible then I think it does its cylinder deactivation, even is sport mode.

Off the line from a dead stop it is a beast. Then if you let off the gas it seems to go into old lady mode. I sold my Cadillac CTS V Sport to get the Charger. The CTS in sport mode held all gears for a long time and was lightning quick to the gas peddle.

Example: I am driving through the neighborhood in sport mode about 35 mph. I nail the gas peddle and it does not launch like a 485hp engine should, its almost like its stuck in 6 cylinder mode. The Caddy would pin your head to the seat over and over and over. The hemi is not doing this.

Are any of you noticing this? Also why cant I change the default drive modes for the engine or transmission? That sucks.

Do any of you have any suggestions to get the beast Hemi to stay in Beast Mode?

Thanks all...

2. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I assume you have read the manual and know how everything should work, so the next step is take it to the dealer and find the SRT Tech. Tell him what's going on and he will repair it for you.

3. Garfield

Garfield Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like a simple flash update is needed. Hopefully you're not the first to have this issue and a flash is available already.. The joy of owning something new to market.. (Bangs head on wall)

4. Chiser

Chiser Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Hi JCL123
    Yes you are right, I feel the same way, it takes off good but in 2 or 3 seconds is in 4th gear and no longer feels like a car with 485 HP , and if you let go to the gas pedal immediately goes into eco mode. I did not read the manual maybe there is any setting that I don't know, but I am very familiar with fast cars, my previous car was a Maserati GS 400 HP and i did not experience this kind of lack of power. Hope there is some kind of fix.

5. Chiser

Chiser Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I forget to mention my car is an Charger SRT 392 2015 2k miles

6. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You might try asking your question on a forum that caters to 392 cars...this is a Hell Cat forum....at any rate you might try disconnecting your battery for about 10 minutes to let the adaptives reset....Another issue is when you go WOT at 35mph you are stuck in 2nd gear. When you go WOT from a start your car wont shift to 2nd until about 44mph....The nanny controls on the car keep it from shifting to 1st above 27mph because of possible traction loss..

7. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    normal for a Scat Pack--you have to keep high revs through throttle pressure.. I have a Scat Pack and a HellCat--two very different animals.

20151011_120249.jpg 20151011_120435.jpg

8. mark3218

mark3218 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Actually, this part of the forum is for 392's. I have found the only way to get the car to take off from what you describe, is to stab the gas pedal for a second. The car will downshift and be much more responsive.

9. hellbound

hellbound BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Watson u are correct.... Haha thats funny... Apparently the site doesnt recognize diffrent active topics from the diffrent forums.... They all end up in active topics.... I dint know that and i guess neither did the othet fella.... Just keep at WOT and no problem....o_Oo_O

10. JCL123

JCL123 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I think the Scat Pack is tuned exactly the same as the SRT. The only difference is the performance pages have more options and default drive mode can be adjusted with the SRT, not the Scats.

This morning here in St. Pete, Florida it is 50 degrees. The Scat drive like a beast in cold weather.

I am some what glad to hear I am not alone in this loss of power (eco mode)? I wonder if the DiabloSport tune with the new PCM would eliminate this eco mode?

I understand they wanted to hit MPG standards, but when I am in Sport Mode this thing should stay ready to quickly respond to the peddles request.

Has anyone had any success with a CAI? I have read on the forums here that some hellcat owners did Dyno runs and reported loss on power. I do mainly city short distance drive, also I see that everyone is installing a 180 degree stat. I spoke with the mechanic at the technical college I teach at he said do not do this. The engine need to get to the designed 200 degree +or- as soon as possible and is designed to stay at the temp. Is this 180 stat only good if you go to the track and sit in line...prevent heat soak?

I love the car, the drive, sound, seats, looks etc. beat anything I have owned before with a bigger price tag, just want to tweak the eco mode and torque management.

And sorry to all you Hellcat and SRT 392 owners for using your forum. Maybe the forum could add a Scat Pack section.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TexasFinest

TexasFinest Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Why would you be sorry? This is a SRT 392 section. That's the exact same engine that's in our Scats! If any thing that guys was in the wrong part of the forum. He has a 6.2L...

12. Beach Goat

Beach Goat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The transmission is programmed to seek the highest gear possible as quickly as possible, for fuel economy. This is painfully clear in default mode, when even at half throttle launches it will upshift, while you are obviously trying to have some fun.

The Scat Pack sport button turns on spirt mode, which is like a Track-lite mode. In sport mode, MDS does not engage, apparently though, in track mode MDS can still engage.

Only recommendation I have is drive around in sport mode, or turn off MDS through a tuner or Tazer product.