Ticking sound? "Not the rotor tick, or 'hemi' tick"

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Aaron Vogel, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So question for anyone, was driving home from work yesterday and I noticed a "ticking sound when under load. It doesn't get louder or quieter really with RPM change, but it is while under load and it is while accelerating. But it also isn't constantly there, it seems to comes and go. But it wasn't cold anytime I have heard it in the past couple days. Almost sounds like it could be exhaust, but I don't know where it would be intermittent. Sounds like it from the right side of the car, and I can also hear it while revving in neutral. No performance issues, no hiccups, misfires etc. I did put a pulley on it and a tune for Vegas. Want to get some ideas from here before I have to decide on swapping the stuff back for a dealer visit. Any suggestions?

2. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First, make sure it isn't knock. Easy fix for that is an adjustment in the tune or maybe some bad gas got in there. I would think if it were knock, then it would change with RPM, which you said it doesn't.

If you're sure it's not knock, then I can tell you that my OEM exhaust had a crack in the weld in the center of the X pipe after only 400 miles. You might want to give that a look over as well. Make sure none of the heat shield bolts came loose too. It could be something as small as a loose bolt.

Lastly, it might sound stupid, but maybe a large rock or nail in the tire...also I have heard that some people had a rock stuck in the brake hub, which was causing a clicking sound.

I hope you find what it is:)

Steve

3. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It increases/decreases with RPM, but doesn't get louder etc, it stays pretty much the same soft volume. If it were a rock I would think it would be all the time as well, not intermittent. Almost does sound like an exhaust sound, but I would still think it wouldn't be intermittent but I will check that to. Don't think its knock, I am still doing the tune with Josh, but it was fine on the drive to and from Vegas and while at the track so I don't think its that either. My biggest worry would be valve train. But I would expect that to be louder, and not intermittent as well? I could be wrong on that, but I would think if it was say a rocker or something that it would be louder and more consistent, no?

4. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Possibly...maybe something with the fuel rail? Have you had that recall done?

I would maybe take a data log and see if you have any knock...you might just have some bad gas in there. A rock or nail in the tire could be it too since it speeds up with RPM.

5. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    But its not all RPM, like not when cruising, but once over maybe 2500 or so I'll hear it. But as it runs out i might not. Other times i won't hear it at all. And yes, fuel real recall had been done a few weeks ago.

6. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Got the exact same sound on two Hellcats. Light ticking, increases under load that is coming from right side. Don't have a clue what it is, but 3 different cars has it, it must be another normal 6.2 sound. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    really? did it start just randomly do? I just past 14k miles and just started haha.

8. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you don't have a check engine light do you? I had a tick but it came with the check engine light...turned out to be a broken spring on the exhaust valve so it was basically open all the time. Think it was about a 10 minute fix at the dealer after they got the part in.

9. BlueDog1210

BlueDog1210 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Get an stethoscope (Available at most auto parts stores for cheap) and place it at different spots on the engine -- be careful with the engine running. My tick turned out to be the supercharger tensioner and the dealer replaced it.

Hope yours is something easy and not a major problem as well.

Good luck noises are tough to find but the stethoscope should narrow it down fairly quickly.

10. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    From day 1, both cars. Don't know if it makes a difference but both cars were A8's. Said it before and I'll say it again. If you listen hard enough this car will drive you cookoo

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  11. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nope, no check engine light

I may try this as well, just doesn't make a noise at idle, at least not noticeable

Yea mine just started randomly the other day, and I agree listening for noises can drive you nuts, I just pay more attention when its a "new" noise haha

12. Garfield_meoww

Garfield_meoww Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello new here but my a8 challenger making noise when brake to gas to 2000 rpm it will rattle make a almost heat shield type noise does that happen to you as well set launch hold to 2000 rpm see if you hear noise consistently please help I hope no transmission problem

13. VKSheridan

VKSheridan Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Check the octane of your fuel. Lower octane can cause a preignition knock that will sound like a tick in a hemi. Lower octane means it takes less heat to light it off and an engine with higher compression, the compression alone will start the burn instead of the spark plug. It won't damage anything but the money "saved" buying the cheaper stuff will be wasted in inefficient burn and in the end, nothing is gained.