Time for a new Daily Driver...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Driver72, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, it's time for a new daily driver.

I am generally a new car guy, it's been a long time since I've bought a used car.
    But I'll consider one if it's a low mileage CPO one (so 2-3 years old max, with let's say around 20k miles or less).

Let's put a $35k selling price on it. So for a new car $37-38k MSRP is fair game, since it wouldn't be out of the question to get it for $35k. And for a used CPO car, a $38k+ asking price would be fair game as well.

I, of course, have a couple ideas, but wanted to see what you all would do/get.

Let's hear it:

2. LITSOUT

LITSOUT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Easy.. Golf GTI..

• Like Like x 1
  3. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you can get over the CVT a new Honda Civic Touring. It's a heck of a car (at least I think so).

4. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I never thought I would say this, but after road course sport lapping and some autocross racing, I would like to drive a four wheel drive sport compact every day, seeing the Subaru STI WRX on the big road course and how fast they are bone stock, they are truly amazing, and at around 35K its a bargain for speed with a warranty that's hard to beat.
    I'm not getting all huggy with the ricer crowd or anything so don't think I'm gonna start putting giant mufflers, hanging carabiners from my tow hooks, watching anime or listening to dub step.
    Its just that a four wheel drive car makes good sense in the pacific northwest for doing all things fairly well all year long. Plus I could take it to track days, I'm completely over drag racing now, the adrenaline rush isn't high enough with only 11 seconds of racing and a couple passes for a whole day. Road course gets you 6 twenty minute sessions under full throttle a day and the Subaru, Mitsubishi and I'D SURE AS HECK NEVER THOUGHT I'D SAY THIS NEXT PART,, that new Ford Focus R that is coming out this next year looks like a beast.
    Plus these cars are surprisingly roomy and can carry a decent amount of groceries and four people with ease.
    a sport utility vehicle is probly more practical overall for what I do, but the only one worth a crap is the SRT8 Cherokee and its spendy, the Escalade is nice but its big, the four runner is boring, and I'm not driving a lame crossover small thing like all the wastoids on the road these days.
    Bottom line get a fun vehicle, that does the basics too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That is funny, I just did that (2005 evo 8) for the past 10 years. I am so tired of no torque. The hellcat is coming in as my new daily driver.

6. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've had lowly Caravans for the past 24 years. There hasn't been a time since then that I haven't had a Caravan. They fit so many people, or massive amounts of STUFF, it would be difficult to be without one. Once my HC arrives next month, I'll be removing the fender badges and installing them on the Caravan. That ought to make the Caravan into a tire-shredding machine! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Golf is currently a top choice.
    I've owned 3 GTI's in the past. Great little cars.
    I test drove a new Golf R about 2 months ago. Quick little car, but I was surprised by it's industrial sound.
    Then I learned they "pump" in sound through the speakers like many cars do these days....lame. I'd want to disconnect that fake sound.
    But is the R worth the extra $4-5k over a GTI with Perf. Package?? That's the question.
    AWD has it's major pluses and some disadvantages as well.

I owned a new WRX back in 2009 when they were a hatchback. The WRX then was equally (and in a couple tests) a bit quicker than the STI then in a straight line. The new STI seems like a great car, but it was disappointing that they didn't update the engine.....at all. Tons of aftermarket support for it though. But the Golf R seems like the better overall car for the same amount of money.

Any other thoughts?
    CPO cars?

8. CPRHDSRT

CPRHDSRT Pontiac Bred ................. SRT Addicted Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How bout a low mile 2012-14 SRT charger ?? MPG not that bad with MDS but not where the Golf is - course room for 4 and a lot of torque is nice too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. HadesGata

HadesGata Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A truck, of course

10. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's been a thought too.
    I owned a 2014 Ram Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab that I got in late 2013.
    I traded it in in early 2015 for the Hellcat.
    It was the first truck I'd ever owned.
    It was nice to have a truck for the capabilities a truck has.
    I'm a "car" guy though, so it was a departure from my norm.
    But I have to admit I do miss the truck for it's ability to go over curbs, easily drive down dirt roads or over rocks, as well as carry heavy items or pull a trailer as needed.

So the thought of picking up another truck has crossed my mind.
    Though I don't think I'd go brand new in that case.
    Maybe find a year or two old truck that was very lightly used (like mine was....had only 5k miles on it in 16 months) where the owner just doesn't really NEED a truck.

11. jkviper

jkviper Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just bought a new daily driver for $38K, a 2016 Jeep Cherokee with many bells and whistles, can get a nicely equipped one under 30k.

Very comfortable for 4 adults, active cruise, blind spot monitoring, auto braking-crash avoidance, auto parallel park, and 4wd. Not a super exciting ride, but a great contrast to my hellcat which I drive on the weekends.

• Like Like x 1
  12. VSTcat

VSTcat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    look at focus rs, for me it was a no brainer as a daily driver. nothing out there american, 4 doors, AWD, manual, fun and fast. As expected they are hard to get but with some research and patience it is possible. Much like the Hellcats when they came out :) Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When looking at a daily driver, I want a small SUV. I have a 2006 Lexus RX330 right now but as soon as my son is out the house and on his own insurance, I'm getting the new Ford Escape. Just over $33K nicely loaded.

14. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL, the Hellcat is a daily driver. Enjoy it and drive it everywhere. Rain/snow/bird droppings won't hurt it.

15. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Brand new charger R/T. $32-35k ball park I suspect. That is a mini rocket and no slouch, total workhorse.

• Agree Agree x 1