Tinting dilemma. Need suggestions/Help

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by MuscleGarageLA, Apr 19, 2016.

1. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am somewhat at the crossroads with the choices I made with reference to the window tints for my Phantom black charger:

I have Suntek CXP (top of the line) tints on my charger(35% front and 5% rear/back). However I am debating re doing the front in favor of 18% since it blends in or matches up better with "limo" 5% tints. I really like the limo look at the back.

The thing with CXP is that they run 5%, 18%, 35% and so on. I wish they had something in between like 20 or 25. I was skeptical about doing 18% initially as i did not want to attract unwanted attention from the cops. Out here in CA you can go as dark as possible for the rear and back however fronts have to be almost translucent. In fact 35% is illegal as well, so I was thinking if I have to go down, I might as well go down with 18%.

I know tinting is a personal thing, however opinions and viewpoints also help and assist in the decision making process. Therefore i want to know what you would do, if you had (or have) 5% at the rear and back? Please don't suggest 5% in front, as I intend to drive at night sometimes..lol. Although that would be a killer look.

Secondly do you folks recommend tinting the windshield? If yes then what % and brand would you suggest? I never bothered doing the windshield due to the various horror stories I came across on this forum, wherein people were experiencing issues with electronics due to water seepage through the dash.

All opinions/ POV would be greatly appreciated. Pictures, would be awesome as well. Cheers...!!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Unfortunately I don't have pictures in broad daylight with the sun beating down as you would get to see the difference better b/w front and back tints.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

3. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have limo in back and nothing up front. This car already attracts enough attention. Don't want to give them any reason to pull me over

• Like Like x 1
  4. TTO_XODJ

TTO_XODJ Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I have 20% on the front of mine. Here is a quick photo I snapped not too long ago. Snapchat--8623710021895907715[1].jpg

I couldn't upload my other pics that show it better, but 20% isn't too dark, and it matches well, so I'm sure 18% will be good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah I'm thinking 18 should be good. I have suntek CXP and 18 is the next lower level. 20-25 wld have been ideal. But that pic really helps. Did you tint the windshield?

And I assume you have 5% for the rears. Right?

6. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I have 20, 35, 50 in mine and it's a perfect transition from back to front and blocks plenty of heat and light. 5 is just way too dark. Cops here in California are dicks, especially the CHP so I don't need any extra attention. If anything, just have it removed when you get a ticket, then put it back on after you have the ticket signed. You obviously can afford a $25 ticket plus whatever it costs to have it removed and replaced now and again. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  7. TTO_XODJ

TTO_XODJ Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I don't remember the brand I have. No tint on the windshield at all, I may get it done at some point though. Yes I have 5% on the rear.

8. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That looks like an awesome combo. You are absolutely right about the CHP...LOL. I might dial down to 18 at the back and stick with 35 at the front. I'm quite surprised how you manage to pull off 50 for the windshield.

9. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think I might just hold off doing the windshield for now. Lot of mixed reviews and no clear consensus on the brand, possibility of running into cops and not to mention the potential damage to the electronics like some members have reported in the past.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  10. Heavy Metal

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The 50 really isn't too noticeable. The ceramic tinting isn't nearly as dark, but blocks a lot more heat. Living here in California as you know, that is very important. Also, since the transition from back to front is gradual you can't even tell it's tinted. As far as issues with the tint interfering with/damaging electronics, I have had zero issues thus far.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks that was quite reassuring to hear. If you don't mind can you tell me which brand you are using, especially for the windshield? I have heard nice things about llumair air 80. My tint guy is a dealer for Suntek CXP (top of the line carbon nano hybrid) however and he was advising me to stick with CXP for the windshield. He has 55,70,80.

12. Heavy Metal

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Hmmmm I need to ask him. I think he had 3M and some other stuff. I can't recall what he went with. If you're worried about cops go with the 80, but 50 really isn't that dark. My GF has had 50% tint on her windshield for well over a year with zero problems.

13. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have an appointment set up for this coming Thursday for the rear windows and therefore I was hoping to indulge in a bit of brainstorming and gather all combinations/permutations, ideas for the tints and windshield as well.

Looks like I might have to narrow it down to 55/70 for the windshield. 18,35,55 is also quite close to your progression and could appear like a seamless transition.

The CXP is 3m ceramic equivalent, or so I'm told. Could you please try to upload a pic or two if possible at your convenience, as that could give me some idea about your set up.

14. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had 20% front and back in my '14 and it as nice. Due to the law and stuff like that I always found myself driving with window down at night. It was an escuse to pull you over and now combined with no front plate, I don't know if I would do it again.
    Best reason for doing it is that it saves the leather over the years from fm cracking and such. It is one of those that the pros and cons have to be thought out

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heavy Metal

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I want to say he used the 3M on mine, but can't be too sure. But yeah I can take some pictures when I get a chance. I mean let's be honest, it's obvious when someone has tint on their vehicle, but I think it's less obvious if the difference between the tint percentages are closer together. I've had cops mention the front window tint on my other car before, but did nothing about it. The worst thing that happens is you get a fix it ticket, remove the tint and re-apply it after you get the ticket signed off (or not). I know my tint guy does discounts in those situations, knowing it's going to happen to some of his customers lol.