Tinting suggestions!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by MuscleGarageLA, May 5, 2015.

1. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Planning to get my HC tinted, went to a local shop and he recommended Suntek and 3m Nano (or something to that effect). He quoted $300 for the Suntek and close to $600 for the 3m. 3 hours turnaround.

I want to know which grade/brand you guys chose for yourselves or recommend! Secondly for those from CA, the dealer informed me that only 70% was permissible for the front (driver/passenger) windows. Are we strictly following this guideline? Lol. Will it draw unwarranted attention from the cops if the 70% restriction was flouted?

I am a total novice or uninformed when it comes to tinting, I have never tinted or thought of tinting a single car I have owned until now...with the HC, which begs to be "pimped" a tad and also for privacy considerations. Looking forward to your kind inputs. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  2. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm guessing the 3M tint he recommended was Crystalline. It's the film I like. You may want to research it to see if it is right for you. The film is 220 micro layers. Outperforms limo tint but much lighter. Crystalline is an expensive film but $600 sounds very high for a Challenger (depends on where you live though I'm sure)... Where I am Global Ceramic tint is $275 and the same job from same installer with 3M Crystalline is $400. This is side and rear windows only.

I haven't tinted my car yet... Not sure if I am going to do it or not. Research each film and decide.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks a lot for the input....very helpful. Yeah the 3m was some premium grade tint with nano ceramic content, he was alluding to. There is a regular and a premium 3m grade. Suntek, according to him, was his best seller. I'm guessing the cost covers the front/rear windows and the back window.

I definitely need to research this more extensively. I have seen cars with lighter tints in the front and darker tints on the rear for compliance purposes I suspect, but they look awful. Wish there was no restriction for the front windows.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Perfect timing as I am also researching tint options. I will most likely go as dark as I can within the law. Don't want to attract more attention than necessary from LE. Also will probably wait as long as I can to install the front plate. Hate to do it, but don't want to get noticed by our fine boys in blue.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have never installed the front plate in any of my performance/muscle cars. Never been stopped before(Touch Wood) and I don't mind paying the silly fine(s) if it comes down to that, but I refuse to install the front plate. It would totally butcher the aesthetics of such a special car. I actually feel cops are quite lenient or sporting towards the issue and only some real ass-hat with severe domestic (or global) issues, would write you up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Snappycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Correcto on the plate....I just might see how long I can get away with not having it. The police here a pretty good and have always been fair with me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JustinHills

JustinHills Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Im in the DFW area, but I had a guy install 3M for $120. He smoked my tail lights and all my reflectors and my gas cap for under $100.

8. Snappycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pix or it never happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow that looks like an incredible deal! No luck with those prices out here...sadly!

10. mowe

mowe Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Regular limo tint... Guaranteed for life. Came out great and was $250

Those prices are nuts !

11. TexasTorred

TexasTorred Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Most of the time, I always got the dealer to 'throw in' the tint. Or in Texas, Dealers pretty much just go ahead and tint the windows, add a stripe kit and then charge a premium:)

I've had sedans done from $125 (3M materials) to a max of $250 (on an Explorer)..... BUT--you're in California. Can't imagine over $350 max you should pay on a Challenger. $200 max on a Challenger, seems fair to me.

As far as the legal tint, don't forget there is around 5-9% 'tint' in the OEM Class, so if you go say, 70% tint film, you will still be illegal b/c the law is based on the amount of light passing through the glass. (In this case about 63-65%). In Tx.,the 2 side windows are 25%of lightthrough them)....all others, dark as you want. I went with 30% all around, I like the look of the dark and (if and when) I get pulled over, I can always up to 35% (legal). By the way, in the 25+ years of driving, I've only been pulled over 1 time for window tint.

70% is not that dark, I guess that is better than just the OEM tint. Best of luck. Lastly, no way am I drilling into that front bumper for a front license plate (required in texas) but again...not enforced. Never been pulled over --damn, just jinxed this for sure!!!

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Hellcat83

Hellcat83 Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I had 3M tint installed; it was $250 - $25 of that was the strip across the top of the windshield (I only went down to the AS1 line as that's too easy to notice). I went with 20% on the front two doors and 5% on the back two doors/rear window. Legal here is 35% front & 15% rear, but I've always done my vehicles this way and never had any issues (knock on wood). Few officers here actually carry tint meters in their cruisers and most don't enforce it anyway. The ones that do enforce it, I'm guessing, probably use it as a reason to make the stop if they need one, but I don't know. I guess if I do get a ticket, I'll just pay it and go on. Most cops around here are pretty cool.

13. Tannehill

Tannehill Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    pretty sure windows are already at 70% from the factory. I know factory glass is already solar tinted (as you can definitely see on SUVs, just much darker in rear).

14. Tannehill

Tannehill Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    check your state on the ticket. In MD it is a maintenance violation. No monetary penalty, but a ticket that you must have it removed and then inspected by a LEO and signed off on, and then returned. If not returned in 30 days your vehicle's registration is cancelled!! I'd rather just pay a fine. I ask me how I know all of this :oops:

15. RobM

RobM SRT Hellcat Lunatic!

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In Vegas, the sun can be brutal. I went with a ceramic tint on the sides (I believe 35%) and clear AIR80 on the windshield. You can't see the front film but stops a ton of heat.